Search

Which travel pass in Sydney?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:48 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond
Which travel pass in Sydney?

Looked through the NSW's website on public transportation, there are a number of options for unlimited access. The most comprehensive option is the SydneyPass, which costs $170 for 7 days including RT AirportLink. However, I also found the Red Travelpass covers a lot of ground (& water) within central Sydney, but only costs $38 for 7 days. I realize the Red Travelpass doesn't cover the Sydney nor the Bondi Explorer, but if I figure the regular system would get me to those places, too. Hence, is it worth paying extra to get the SydneyPass? TIA.

LAX
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:55 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by LAX
Looked through the NSW's website on public transportation, there are a number of options for unlimited access. The most comprehensive option is the SydneyPass, which costs $170 for 7 days including RT AirportLink. However, I also found the Red Travelpass covers a lot of ground (& water) within central Sydney, but only costs $38 for 7 days. I realize the Red Travelpass doesn't cover the Sydney nor the Bondi Explorer, but if I figure the regular system would get me to those places, too. Hence, is it worth paying extra to get the SydneyPass?
Depends on where you want to go in Sydney - the travelpasses are mainly designed for commuters, but can be useful for tourists as well. Whilst you can use the travelpass to get to where the red and blue explorer buses take you, you might have to use convulted routings to get between attractions. You will also miss out on the commentary and, particularly during the peak periods, have to put up with crowded buses.

One tip with the travelpass - if you purchase it after 3pm, the rest of that day won't count as part of the seven days, so you will end up with a bit more travel than you paid for.

Dave
Old Jul 10, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: QF WP, Starwood Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club, Amex Platinum
The red travelpass also does not cover the ferry to manly if you were planning on taking this during your stay
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:09 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thadocta
Depends on where you want to go in Sydney - the travelpasses are mainly designed for commuters, but can be useful for tourists as well. Whilst you can use the travelpass to get to where the red and blue explorer buses take you, you might have to use convulted routings to get between attractions. You will also miss out on the commentary and, particularly during the peak periods, have to put up with crowded buses.

One tip with the travelpass - if you purchase it after 3pm, the rest of that day won't count as part of the seven days, so you will end up with a bit more travel than you paid for.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I guess the Explorer buses do have their advantages. However, is it worth paying over $100 premium for them? I guess that depends on the individual. Also, how much does the ride between the airport and central Sydney cost if purchased separately? Couldn't really find it on the website.

LAX
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:36 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by LAX
Thanks Dave. I guess the Explorer buses do have their advantages. However, is it worth paying over $100 premium for them?
Possibly - considering that they cost $39 for a one day ticket and $70 for a two day ticket (in addition to the cost of your travelpass). Also, as mentioned by ozzie the red travelpass doesn't cover the Manly ferry, you would want the green travelpass if you wanted the Manly ferry plus train travel, and this would be $46.

I guess that depends on the individual.
As with anything, YMMV.

Also, how much does the ride between the airport and central Sydney cost if purchased separately? Couldn't really find it on the website.
For the cost of train travel, you need to visit the CityRail website.

Just remember as well that with a SydneyPass the return train travel from the airport doesn't have to be in the validity of the pass - you can get the train into the city, start your pass three days later (as an example), have your pass expire after seven days, and then use your return trip to the airport a month later.

Dave
Old Jul 10, 2009, 10:53 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Does anyone know how much is the "additional access fee" to cover travel to the airport using one of the color coded travelpass?

LAX
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:04 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The add--on gate pass was reported to be $A16.60 in this thread. I added mine to the weekly pass when I was over in May, purchased at the airport on arrival. I bought a yellow pass because it allowed ferry to Parramatta and return by rail instead of ferry.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:27 am
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
The add--on gate pass was reported to be $A16.60 in this thread. I added mine to the weekly pass when I was over in May, purchased at the airport on arrival. I bought a yellow pass because it allowed ferry to Parramatta and return by rail instead of ferry.
Thanks. Have you ever purchased the SydneyPass? Just wanted to see how you would compare the two. If not, were you able to get to most famous sightseeing points without much hassle on the regular pass? Still trying to decide what's best for me in terms of paying extra for potential time and/or hassle saving.

LAX
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:39 am
In Memoriam

LAX - it might help if you told us what you wanted to see - whether it be in specific terms (Harbour Bridge, Opera House, The Rocks, etc) or in general terms (beaches, nightlife, great restaurants, etc).

If we knew what you wanted, we might be better able to point you in the right direction.

Dave
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:40 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I've always bought the weekly passes if I'm in Sydney more than 4 days. It's pretty easy to get around on your own with bus, rail and ferry. I'll frequently see the Sydney Explorer buses park right next to the bus I'm getting on or off. You do need to take some time to sort out what routing to take. I remember my first trip to Bondi Beach I took the bus all the way out from Circular Quay, as I didn't know it was easier to train to Bondi and then take the bus from there to Bondi Beach.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:52 am
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thadocta
LAX - it might help if you told us what you wanted to see - whether it be in specific terms (Harbour Bridge, Opera House, The Rocks, etc) or in general terms (beaches, nightlife, great restaurants, etc).

If we knew what you wanted, we might be better able to point you in the right direction.

Dave
Thanks for the suggestion. I am still in the preliminary planning stage. I am interested in sightseeing (ie: landmarks, unique places, etc.). Not too crazy about nightlife (nor beaches in August in Australia). I think I will mostly hover around central Sydney (that's where most of the famous sightseeing points are, right?). Would consider a day trip or two outside of the city for interesting sights/experiences. Should I be more specific? TIA.

LAX
Old Jul 11, 2009, 9:57 am
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911
I've always bought the weekly passes if I'm in Sydney more than 4 days. It's pretty easy to get around on your own with bus, rail and ferry. I'll frequently see the Sydney Explorer buses park right next to the bus I'm getting on or off. You do need to take some time to sort out what routing to take. I remember my first trip to Bondi Beach I took the bus all the way out from Circular Quay, as I didn't know it was easier to train to Bondi and then take the bus from there to Bondi Beach.
I am usually pretty good about studying bus/subway/train maps and figuring how to get to places I want to go. However, I feel part of the fun is getting somewhat lost in a strange place and seeing things normally missed once in a while. Obviously, if most places require 3 or more connections on regular routes, then I might consider the made-for-tourists Explorer buses. Thanks.

LAX
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
The red travel pass is a bargain IMHO, it has everything a tourist could want really (except the Manly ferry) All my self sufficent visitors its the first thing I get them.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have a read of post 1 in this thread:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ay-2009-a.html. Good quick summary of SYD public transport.

Cut and paste from JohnSydney2000's post

Ticket tips:
I know many are visiting Syd before and after OZfest. If you are taking the train to and from the airport, with moderate luggage ( <30kgs ), and are going to explore Sydney by ferry bus and train, I advise the purchase of a weekly travel pass with a weekly gate pass add-on.

A single train trip to the city is about $15 I think.

A Red pass weekly $38 plus a weekly gate pass add-on $16.60 gives unlimited travel in inner Sydney plus multiple trips to/from the airport line private stations. This Red zone covers out to Clovelly and Bondi and all the inner harbour ferries, along with buses and trains.

A Green pass weekly $46 plus a weekly gate pass add-on $16.60 is even better value as it extends as far as unlimited Manly ferry trips, and train /ferry right out to Sydney Olympic Park for 7 days.

Alternatives are a day ticket - around $17 or if you are a local, use a travelten on the buses, and buy a ferry ticket ($5.20 each trip).

http://www.131500.com.au/faresandpasses/travelpass.asp

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 11, 2009 at 7:14 pm
Old Jul 11, 2009, 8:55 pm
LAX
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Have a read of post 1 in this thread:- http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/commu...ay-2009-a.html. Good quick summary of SYD public transport.

Cut and paste from JohnSydney2000's post

Ticket tips:
I know many are visiting Syd before and after OZfest. If you are taking the train to and from the airport, with moderate luggage ( <30kgs ), and are going to explore Sydney by ferry bus and train, I advise the purchase of a weekly travel pass with a weekly gate pass add-on.

A single train trip to the city is about $15 I think.

A Red pass weekly $38 plus a weekly gate pass add-on $16.60 gives unlimited travel in inner Sydney plus multiple trips to/from the airport line private stations. This Red zone covers out to Clovelly and Bondi and all the inner harbour ferries, along with buses and trains.

A Green pass weekly $46 plus a weekly gate pass add-on $16.60 is even better value as it extends as far as unlimited Manly ferry trips, and train /ferry right out to Sydney Olympic Park for 7 days.

Alternatives are a day ticket - around $17 or if you are a local, use a travelten on the buses, and buy a ferry ticket ($5.20 each trip).

http://www.131500.com.au/faresandpasses/travelpass.asp
Thanks. I looked at that when Tom911 referred me to that page. What's a "weekly gate pass add-on"?

LAX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.