Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Zealand master thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2013, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ChC city centre is being opened and even hotels are opening after repairs & new places being built. By west of the Botanic Gardens I guess you mean Riccarton, which is OK. The city is small so would not be too concerned

http://www.wotif.co.nz/
Old Nov 18, 2013, 1:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Programs: some
The CBD is one of the most interesting places to be (or at least visit). Lots of activity, and changing all the time, as the city is being rebuilt.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Layover in CHC

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The CBD is one of the most interesting places to be (or at least visit). Lots of activity, and changing all the time, as the city is being rebuilt.
Great thread Kiwi Flyer!! I've been enjoying all the tips and itins that have populated the thread with some great ideas.

I have a 3.5hr layover on way to ZQN on Christmas Day--is there time to get to CBD or anywhere else in that time? Guessing almost everything will be closed that day.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 12:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Yes and yes. Public transport will be on reduced schedule and almost everything will be shut on Christmas Day.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 5:27 pm

I have 2 options of either fly into Christchurch or Queensland, need expert help for input as to which is better. My original plan was fly in Christchurch then the to Queensland. I think there are more options and things to do is that correct ? This will be for travel from Nov 22, 2014. Thanks
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:06 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ba739
I have 2 options of either fly into Christchurch or Queensland, need expert help for input as to which is better. My original plan was fly in Christchurch then the to Queensland. I think there are more options and things to do is that correct ? This will be for travel from Nov 22, 2014. Thanks
Do you mean Queenstown (town in NZ) not Queensland (state in Australia)? Very different destinations.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:07 pm

I mean Queenstown...sorry for the typo. I was able to change the dates from UA. I now have 6 days in the area compare to 3 before. Need advice as to things to do..I do have to be back at Queenstown for a flight to Auckland.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 2:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

Depending on what you are into there is probably more to do in and around Queenstown.

Note the previous week is show week in Canterbury, so if your new dates are earlier then accommodation may be hard to find in Christchurch.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:13 pm

Hello Kiwi..I don't know whether I would have time to go to Christchurch...I like to take pictures..I am thinking about Arrowtown, Te Anau, Milford Sound, Fox Glacier and of Queenstown. How easy to drive to those above places ?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Silver
I'm planning a trip to NZ this Nov-Dec. I have enough UA miles for RT J-class award. Is there a way to work in a few days in RAR/NAN using the same award? AKL-RAR/NAN RT looks pricey. Also, even though there is a nonstop LAX-RAR, the search engines always route back through AKL when using 3 segments. Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 28, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question Christchurch - South Island query

I am bumping the thread with a new question.............When is a good time of year to visit Christchurch and the South Island? I am limited to June, July & August, and welcome advice on things to see & do that time of year (NB I know its winter down under, but that's nothing compared to Canada!)
Old Apr 29, 2014, 4:26 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors
Original Poster

School holidays are in July, so accommodation and flights will be fuller - especially ski areas.
Old May 15, 2014, 5:42 am

Have been to NZ once and Oz once with Singapore Airlines but want to do it in Premier Economy this time ( getting old) and they only do Econ + Business. Is ANZ the only viable alternative ? They go through LAX which I've heard can be a nightmare especially for Transit passengers . I could do LHR to San Francisco and the 2nd leg ANZ , maybe that's best ?
Any suggestions - intending to go end Jan 2015 for 2 1/2 weeks.

Thanks
Old May 15, 2014, 2:17 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Do you have to travel in Jan??

SQ are fitting Premium Economy to their 777-300ER's during the second half of 2015 followed by the A380s...

SIA say the work will be complete by September 2016.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-...509-380dp.html

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...t-year-2014050

PS. You don't say where you're originating from - I presume somewhere in the UK based on your post?
Old May 16, 2014, 2:11 am

Hello jbfield,
The current plan is January but I may talk to Her Indoors to make sure its not worth changing !
We did Singapore last time with just a few hours stopover as we'd been there before . It was the SQ to Auckland leg which was poor .We had a 380 1st leg , upstairs and it was very good for economy seating.
I wonder how the price will be compared to Virgin , which is cheapest for PE.
And yes from UK, South East.
I will read those links .
Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.