Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cairns Reef Snorkel Trips

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanuim/Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Cairns Reef Snorkel Trips

Anyone have any suggestions on Cairn Reef snorkel trip operators. Anyone has been on tours they would recommend or definitely not recommend? Will be in Cairns the first week of September.

Also planning one day for Karunda and have not explored the rest of my itinerary yet? Any suggestions.

Will be staying at the Hilton which looks like easy access to the Reef Terminal.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 3:21 am

Quicksilver are probably the most popular/best known option. Check in around 9am for 10am departure and you'll spend about 3-3.5hrs at the outer reef (lunch included) and back in town around 4.30pm. They have their own pontoon and are a good option if you prefer a bigger boat and don't mind the crowd.

If you'd prefer a smaller boat and less crowded experience, you could try Seastar. They offer two small group (max 36 pax) tours. The half-day tour leaves at midday and gets back around 4.30, going to the outer reef. Their full day reef tour leaves at 8am and returns around 4.15pm and visits two locations (Michaelmas Cay and Hastings reef) with the aim of avoiding the crowds. You'll spend about 2.5 hours at each and lunch is also included.

Kuranda is a nice day trip from Cairns. There's quite a few things to do there... I'd recommend the Butterfly Sanctuary, the Skyrail, and the Koala Park.

I'd also recommend doing a trip out to Cape Tribulation (watch out for the cassowaries!) and the Daintree. You can take a bus tour for the day or do it yourself if you're hiring a car. It's about a 2-3 hour drive each way, depending on traffic, etc. If you're driving, you can stop in Port Douglas on the way.
aztimm likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Marriott & SPG Gold, Matson Lines - Lurline, PFEL - Mariposa
Holocker, I will be in Cairns shortly after you. Would you mind posting a follow-up about about your trip?
Old Sep 4, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I am looking for the same thing, but with a glass bottom boat or other facility for people who don't swim
Old Sep 7, 2018, 9:03 pm

Sunlover and Reef Magic go out to the reef, and they have pontoons for people who don't swim. There is also Green Island which is close to Cairns with a nice beach that is patrolled. Big Cat has glass bottom boat tours, and I think so do Great Adventures
aztimm likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.