Search

Queensland in November

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:26 pm
O62
Original Poster

Queensland in November

Hi everyone,

My wife and I are visiting Queensland in November to unwind after some time in HK. I've been doing lots of research and have settled on the Port Douglas area for a week or so. We're thinking a few nights in Silky Oaks and a few in Thala to enjoy the scenery. I was looking at Hamilton Island, but I fear that any island that can take multiple narrowbody jets on a daily basis is a bit more commercialized than we like. I'd love to do something like Lizard Island or Hayman Island but that's out of our price range.

As far as what we like, we enjoy smaller areas where we can experience the beauty of nature and partake in outdoor activities (scuba, hike, kayak, swim, etc.) as well as venture out to explore the restaurants and shoppings if so desired. PD seemed to offer the opportunity of seeing the rainforest and the great barrier reef and thus experience 2 of Australia's awesome geographic phenomena in one trip. Weatherwise, November seems to be a great time to enjoy some warmth and sun, though I do understand the beaches will be more for seeing and sitting than for swimming during that time.

Are there any other areas of Queensland that should be on our radar?
Old Jul 23, 2017, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Port Douglas is a good option. You could also check out Cape Tribulation if you want to get close to nature.

Standard Warning: November is schoolies week/s (like spring break, but for students finishing high school) in Queensland. You'll be fine pretty much from Cairns north, but areas south of Cairns all the way down to Byron Bay are likely to have drunk 17/18 year olds on their first unsupervised holiday.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
O&O Hayman Island is closed from the cyclone hitting in March. When they re-open, they will not be a One & Only.

Look into Lizard Island a bit more...I know it is expensive, but it does include a lot. Port Douglas is a good option though.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:17 pm
O62
Original Poster

Just updating future posters: We spent 5 days in Silky Oaks and had a great time. I loved that part of Australia and will definitely be back to see more of the great coast. I think in a perfect world we would have done a few days at Thala and a few days at Silky Oaks. Looking back on the November trip it was such an amazing time!
CPMaverick likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.