Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Three free days in Australia mid-June - where to dive the barrier reef?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2017, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal

I'm in Australia for two weeks for work, mostly Sydney but a few days in Melbourne. First time to Australia and just found that work agenda ending early so I'll get a few days off (Wed/Thurs-Sat) before returning for a flight home on Sunday.

I'd like to dive the barrier reef before it's gone and perhaps do a bit of a road trip. I figure I'll only get in 2-3 dives (I'm PADI certified but a beginner) so would like location(s) with some scenery hiking, snorkeling, good restaurants, excellent coffee and loungeability after a crazy stretch of work & travel. Can folks recommend where to go and some logistics? Basic questions:
  • Cairns, Port Douglas, ??? on a road trip or just pick one good spot as a home base?
  • Good idea to rent a car? I really like the idea of a road trip if a few places to see
  • Or should I head to the Whitsundays? I've heard great things but expect that would be the only stop
  • All reccos welcome - particularly for itineraries & dive operators
  • Happy to be pointed to other threads - search is not my friend right now

Thanks all!
Old May 24, 2017, 4:43 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Road trip is not a good idea with that short amount of time. Australia is a big place.

Fly into CNS and go to Port Douglas, the road between CNS and PD is spectacular once you pass Palm Cove (30 mins north of CNS).

A car is handy if you want to go through the hinterland which is nice.

Remember the restrictions on flying after diving and time your dives accordingly.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I meant a mini road trip around Cairns and Port Douglas, e.g. is there another spot in that area good to check out for a hike, food, cool hotel, etc.? Trying to decide between picking up a car in CNS to go around that area vs. fly to Whitsundays and just spend time there.

Good note on flight times - I get stuffed up after flying so I'm cautious on both ends - will be leaving 24 hours. It means I don't get to dive much on business trips.
Old May 29, 2017, 2:54 am
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
We did the drive from Cairns to PD last year, it took about an hour and was indeed spectacular. We spent 3 nights in PD & 1 night in Cairns before our flight to BNE, we loved PD, felt more 'meh' about Cairns.

We spent a day at Kuranda on the way back to Cairns & would recommend as a place to spend the day or perhaps overnight, you'd need to check if there is an hotel or B&B there but it's an amazing place to spend some time.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

This is great.

I just booked two nights at the Sheraton in PD. Would love to get another night but don't think I can swing it with my work schedule and flight times. But Sheraton + Hertz points make this a pretty cheap tack-on.

Any recommendations for a dive operator in PD to go out to the reef?
Old May 31, 2017, 1:09 pm
formerly known as lady1964

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by leland
This is great.

I just booked two nights at the Sheraton in PD. Would love to get another night but don't think I can swing it with my work schedule and flight times. But Sheraton + Hertz points make this a pretty cheap tack-on.

Any recommendations for a dive operator in PD to go out to the reef?
sorry, we don't dive so can't recommend, trip advisor is probably your friend for that information, have an amazing time!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.