Community
Wiki Posts
Search

French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Post French Polynesia (Tahiti, Bora Bora, Moorea)

Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to bora bora, and looking for the best ways to get flights there using only ultimate rewards.

I have tried googling, and it's confusing.. I'm new to all this, sorry.

It's going to be my wife and I, and I'm in Dallas, TX.

roughly how many total points would I need to get there?
Thanks for all the help!
Old Dec 27, 2016, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

abraar86 Welcome to FT

Originally Posted by abraar86
I'm planning a trip to Bora Bora, and looking for the best ways to get flights there using only ultimate rewards.

I have tried googling, and it's confusing.. I'm new to all this, sorry.

It's going to be my wife and I, and I'm in Dallas, TX.

Roughly how many total points would I need to get there?
Have you looked at which airlines fly to Bora Bora?
Work backwards from the Bora Bora airport web site/wikipedia. [Google is your friend]
Or Faa'a International Airport (PPT) in Papeete, Tahiti with local transport to Bora Bora
Do you want to use UR directly or transfer UR to a freq flyer program and try for 2 awards (that can be hard to very hard)
Some ffp's allow one way awards. So you could uses 2 or more ffp's
What class do want to fly?
When? (soon or in a year or ???)
Are a member of any ffp's now? How many miles banked?

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mes-rules.html

Awards assistance tools
Use at your own risk. These may not be up to date. (These are not recommendations)
Frequent flyer miles/points are not equal to or burn. They are not 1 to 1
If a multi segment award check the rules/cost carefully. With some ffp’s it can be 2 or more awards or cost more ff miles than a direct flight.
Some awards/airlines/routes can have cash surcharges, in addition to real taxes.
-AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> http://www.awardace.com/
-Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> http://www.flyermiler.com/
-http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ast-miles.html --> http://www.awardhacker.com/

Consider these http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-reviews.html
Old Dec 27, 2016, 5:19 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Keep in mind that flying to Bora Bora is the cheap part of the trip. Expect to pay USD 1000 per day for meals/drinks at a reasonable level (yes, it is that expensive) and accom is whatever you can get for points, otherwise also USD 1000+ per night. So looking at USD 15000 for a week accom and food; more realistically USD 20K. Possible to do cheaper but compromises the trip enjoyment. There is a reason it is an iconic, high demand and high value destination; if that is out of your budget, consider Fiji instead where it will cost $5K instead of $20K for luxury, and you can even do it for $2K a week in 4* accom.
Old Dec 27, 2016, 3:41 pm

Ignore this post as I see you are using Chase UR. I will leave it for anyone If using Delta miles. You need to look for LAX>PPT first on Delta and Air France. I booked a group on same exact planes by using both Delta awards and Air France since they code share. Then work on getting from DFW to LAX. For the final leg PPT to Bora Bora I would just buy the tickets. And as others have said you are captive so you will spend a lot of money on Bora Bora.

Last edited by Centurion; Dec 27, 2016 at 3:57 pm
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
abraar86 Welcome to FT

Have you looked at which airlines fly to Bora Bora?
Work backwards from the Bora Bora airport web site/wikipedia. [Google is your friend]
Or Faa'a International Airport (PPT) in Papeete, Tahiti with local transport to Bora Bora
Do you want to use UR directly or transfer UR to a freq flyer program and try for 2 awards (that can be hard to very hard)
Some ffp's allow one way awards. So you could uses 2 or more ffp's
What class do want to fly?
When? (soon or in a year or ???)
Are a member of any ffp's now? How many miles banked?

Look here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...mes-rules.html

Awards assistance tools
Use at your own risk. These may not be up to date. (These are not recommendations)
Frequent flyer miles/points are not equal to or burn. They are not 1 to 1
If a multi segment award check the rules/cost carefully. With some ffp’s it can be 2 or more awards or cost more ff miles than a direct flight.
Some awards/airlines/routes can have cash surcharges, in addition to real taxes.
-AwardAce: Compare Award Redemptions Across Airlines In Seconds --> http://www.awardace.com/
-Economical Excursionist's Tools to compare Frequent Flyer Mile Redemptions --> http://www.flyermiler.com/
-http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...ast-miles.html --> http://www.awardhacker.com/

Consider these http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...e-reviews.html
Yes I have. I know which flights take you there. I have also googled ways to get there.. Im new to miles so the way they say you can use Alaskan Miles to Delta, I'm totally lost.

Was hoping someone who actually went there could elaborate on what the heck all this means
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Keep in mind that flying to Bora Bora is the cheap part of the trip. Expect to pay USD 1000 per day for meals/drinks at a reasonable level (yes, it is that expensive) and accom is whatever you can get for points, otherwise also USD 1000+ per night. So looking at USD 15000 for a week accom and food; more realistically USD 20K. Possible to do cheaper but compromises the trip enjoyment. There is a reason it is an iconic, high demand and high value destination; if that is out of your budget, consider Fiji instead where it will cost $5K instead of $20K for luxury, and you can even do it for $2K a week in 4* accom.
I'll also plan to go to Fiji later on

I don't mind spending, as long as the miles and points help.
I will get a Chase IHG card, and obviously meet the miles so hopefully 2 of the nights will be free. I also understand that the Thalapasso is hard to get, but it's for 4 people, my wife and I are going, and the Le Moana should be fine. Thinking of getting 2 nights there (free night anniversary + 60k free night), and next 2 nights pay full price (650 ish) for the overwater.

I love how I can get excursions and pay with points on the Chase portal, so a lot of routes I can take. And that is why I love UR. However, I need to know of any hidden ways or best way to utilize the points.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion
Ignore this post as I see you are using Chase UR. I will leave it for anyone If using Delta miles. You need to look for LAX>PPT first on Delta and Air France. I booked a group on same exact planes by using both Delta awards and Air France since they code share. Then work on getting from DFW to LAX. For the final leg PPT to Bora Bora I would just buy the tickets. And as others have said you are captive so you will spend a lot of money on Bora Bora.
I believe I can transfer 1:1 to a partner with Chase (Alaskan Airlines, not 100% sure, so if I'm wrong, dont judge me!) and still use Delta.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I believe I can transfer 1:1 to a partner with Chase (Alaskan Airlines, not 100% sure, so if I'm wrong, dont judge me!) and still use Delta.
AS is not a Chase UR partner. UR points are probably not ideal for booking flights between DFW and PPT/NAN. Try to accumulate some AA miles, as AA partners with both Air Tahiti Nui and Fiji Airways.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a list of the current UR airline transfer partners:

http://thetravelsisters.com/chase-ul...fer-partners/(

You could conceivably transfer to Sky Team partners AF or KE, and then redeem for award travel on DL and AF from DFW to PPT. But you'd have to investigate each program's redemption rates and possible cash surcharges for such an itinerary.

Whatever you decide, do not transfer UR points to any airline program unless and until you are sure that your desired award seats are, in fact, available.

Note that when IHG is running one of their point sales, you can buy 100,000 points for about $600.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
AS is not a Chase UR partner. UR points are probably not ideal for booking flights between DFW and PPT/NAN. Try to accumulate some AA miles, as AA partners with both Air Tahiti Nui and Fiji Airways.
Forgive me if I am wrong, however, Delta flights to PPT from LAX, although not the cheapest, can be transferred from UR via Virgin or Korean.

Now if I were to just get the same dates and go without any transferring, I can get it for 1166 (compared to Delta costing 1600) from LAX to PPT via the Chase Portal, so that way is def not cheaper. considering I get 1.25x with my CSP.

AA def seems the best way. I just don't want to get AA only for Bora Bora.. and never utilize it again.. as Avios is best best for domestic.. and the int places I visit, Turkish is good and the UR has solid deals.

IDK..
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Here's a list of the current UR airline transfer partners:

http://thetravelsisters.com/chase-ul...fer-partners/(

You could conceivably transfer to Sky Team partners AF or KE, and then redeem for award travel on DL and AF from DFW to PPT. But you'd have to investigate each program's redemption rates and possible cash surcharges for such an itinerary.

Whatever you decide, do not transfer UR points to any airline program unless and until you are sure that your desired award seats are, in fact, available.

Note that when IHG is running one of their point sales, you can buy 100,000 points for about $600.
Thats freakin amazing! thanks for the info!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Forgive me if I am wrong, however, Delta flights to PPT from LAX, although not the cheapest, can be transferred from UR via Virgin or Korean."

DL does not fly to PPT from anywhere. It's possible that DL codeshares on the AF LAX--PPT nonstop, but I don't know if you can book DL codeshares operated by AF with Virgin miles.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Bora Bora

Hey all,

I am planning to go to Bora Bora in April 2019. With the amount of people flooding the Thalasso nights, although not happy, I am fine with using the free night and using 60k for 2 free nights at IHG Le Moanna, and 3 nights 'fully paid' (using corporate ID).

I have a few questions about this trip.. hope you guys can help.

1. Flying to BOB, what do I need to do to get to the hotel? Will first stay at Le Moanna, then go to Thalasso.

2. I am booking a few excursions from Ultimate rewards as I can use my points, what activities should I not prepay, as it would be cheaper there?

3. Is there a fridge in the bungalows or beach villas? So we can buy some things like water, soda, etc and put it in the fridge.

4. How 'safe' is the area?

5. I am interested in hiring a photographer. I read online that my hotel would have one.. is this true? and roughly how much do they charge?

6. Any other last second 'tricks' to prepare for the trip?

Thanks all!
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:12 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I guess you aren't getting much answers here ... not surprising as these 2 resorts are maybe the bottom end of bora bora so most people have stayed elsewhere and can't help with your specific questions. Construction at Thalasso isn't complete until June so you'll still be affected in April, which might spoil the experience. Thalasso is accessible only by boat, so you can't pop out to buy some groceries The hotel will provide (but budget USD 100 per day for water ). The area is very safe, any danger is from the guests.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hey all,

1. Flying to BOB, what do I need to do to get to the hotel? Will first stay at Le Moanna, then go to Thalasso.
I did the similar trip few years back. I recall the flight to Bora Bora includes a complimentary boat ride to Vaitape. Once arrived in Vaitape, you can take a taxi to Le Moanna.

It is a good idea to pre-arrange a pick up (via hotel or not) at the port as I didn't see many taxi around when I arrived. Some one there at the port helped me to call the hotel to send a car to fetch me. It was not my first time to visit Bora Bora and I thought there were plenty of taxies at Vaitape in previous visit but guess we never know.

There are shuttle boat schedule between Le Moanna and Thalasso several times a day. Just to let front desk of Le Moanna knows your plan, they'll arrange the transfer for you and also inform Thalasso when you will be arriving.

You can leave Bora Bora the same way, this is the most inexpensive way. I took the boat from Thalasso directly back to the airport, which get you a nice boat ride to say good bye to the island.

You can go to the IHG forum to get more up-to-date information and ask additional questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.