Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO or LAX on way to Sydney (United)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2016, 6:41 am
Original Poster

SFO or LAX on way to Sydney (United)

Should I go for the 1 hour 45 minute layover in SFO (seems short?) or the 2.5 hour layover in LAX on the way to Sydney from Cleveland.

I know a lot of people prefer SFO over LAX, but the hour and 45 minutes is making me question it.

Thanks!
Old Aug 4, 2016, 8:09 am
Suspended

Longer layovers offer more flexibility. Always take the cushion of time if you can. LAX is fine, and easy to get between terminals. And I believe the flight to SYD is a bit shorter..by about 45 mins to an hour. When you think of time in the seat, it is worth it.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: Virtuoso
I would go for the 2.5 hr layover. I don't mind a bit of a longer layover on international flights, just for the cushion. I have had it save me from having to run, even with having Global Entry. LAX is a zoo, too and I just try to avoid it in general. Also, I don't know when you are flying, but United is the worst of all for changing schedules. I see it with my clients all the time. You could end up with shorter or longer anyways.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
I usually connect in LAX on the way to Oz (better weather), then SFO on the way back (Arrivals Lounge).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 10:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Ditto.

More cushion (most important) and more time to walk around, stretch, eat, etc... I guess depending on class of service of course.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 10:31 am

I read elsewhere that in SFO you stay airside behind security when changing planes but in LAX you have to leave security and then go back through security. Is that correct?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by g8trgr8t
I read elsewhere that in SFO you stay airside behind security when changing planes but in LAX you have to leave security and then go back through security. Is that correct?
Depends on airline. There is an airside connector to the tom bradley terminal, as well as airside connections between Term 4,5,6 (IIRC)
Old Aug 6, 2016, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
When I did this trip at the end of last year, I went through LAX largely because I figured I wouldn't run into any weather issues there. SFO has the nicer facilities for a layover, though.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
1 hour 45 mins is more than enough in SFO - depending on the exact gates it's a 5-10 min walk between gates - all airside (Terminal 3 to International G)

LAX it'll probably be a shorter walk - anywhere from 30 seconds maybe 5-6 minutes - again all airside. (Terminal 7 or 8 to terminal 7)

Distance-wise it's a wash - SFO is slightly further from CLE, but slightly closer to SYD. Overall there's 38 miles in it.

SFO is probably slightly more likely to have delays at that time of the day than LAX, but generally they won't impact long-distance flights like the one from CLE (as opposed to shorter flights where they will hold them before departure), and they won't impact the SYD flights.

The planes are basically the same - a narrow-body for the first leg (probably a 737 for both), and a 787-9 for the TPAC leg.

SFO is (IMHO) a better airport than LAX, with a better United Club (if you get access). LAX has the Star Alliance lounge if you feel like the 20+ minute walk each way to get there and if you have access (*G or United Club member), but with the time you have it's probably not worth it.

If you want to be overly cautious, pick LAX. Otherwise, toss a coin, or maybe see which flight have the best seat selection available...

On the way back it's a different story - SFO wins hands down in terms of basically everything, except for the timing of the SFO-CLE flights which means you'll end up doing LAX. LAX means going through immigration in TBIT and then having to walk all the way to T7/T8 to catch your connecting flight. As bad as that is, it's better than the 6 hour connection you'll have in SFO...
Old Aug 10, 2016, 3:20 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
LAX is fine, and easy to get between terminals. And I believe the flight to SYD is a bit shorter..by about 45 mins to an hour. When you think of time in the seat, it is worth it.
SFO is closer to SYD than LAX is. You weren't very specific but you seem to be implying the opposite.They are probably comparable in average time on the aircraft, depending on congestion, etc. But all things considered SFO-SYD should be the shorter flight.

I'd go with SFO personally. No connection is guaranteed, but you are still OK with a one-hour delay at SFO. That is pretty good odds. I fly through LAX almost always as a VA and DL flyer, and it is pretty terrible. I'd avoid it if I had a roughly equivalent choice like you do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.