Search

Sydney Carnival Cruise & Auckland Transfer

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2016, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Sydney Carnival Cruise & Auckland Transfer

Two questions for an upcoming trip:

1. I will be on a Carnival cruise out of Sydney that travels domestically out of Circular Quay. The cruise is set to dock at 6:30am on the final day with a 7:00am disembarking. Typically, most cruises I have been on have docked early but I'm curious if this is enough time to catch a 10:50am international flight. I will have only carry on baggage and have fast track through security, etc. I'm thinking I should be fine but figured I'd get some feedback.

2. I can save quite a bit of money flying through Auckland on my way to Sydney. Is a 2 hour layover enough? I assume since I will not be leaving the airport that I don't need to go through immigration?
Old May 10, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
If **YOU** actually get to disembark at 7AM, that should be fine.

During our time there we would go to sleep with an empty harbor and ships would magically appear when we woke up... Lots of people (buses, taxis, walking, etc) during the early morning hours, but it was unclear if there was an order that defined how and when passengers got to disembark.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:10 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Transit through AKL is very fast as efficient and small airport, under an hour is plenty and you have 2 hours. Airside transit involves a security check (usually 5 min) but no need to go through immigration/customs.
Old May 12, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Two questions for an upcoming trip:

1. I will be on a Carnival cruise out of Sydney that travels domestically out of Circular Quay. The cruise is set to dock at 6:30am on the final day with a 7:00am disembarking. Typically, most cruises I have been on have docked early but I'm curious if this is enough time to catch a 10:50am international flight. I will have only carry on baggage and have fast track through security, etc. I'm thinking I should be fine but figured I'd get some feedback.

2. I can save quite a bit of money flying through Auckland on my way to Sydney. Is a 2 hour layover enough? I assume since I will not be leaving the airport that I don't need to go through immigration?
Generally on cruises they disembark by levels and/or room types so even if you are supposed to disembark at 7 am you might not get off at that time. I've been in some good rooms and always had to sit and wait. As a Sydneysider the traffic here can be horrendous on a week day and if there is an accident on one of the motorways traffic can be at a stand still.

I would never risk it with those times you state.

2. If you are flying via Auckland to Sydney you are just in transit in Auckland. You won't need to go through immigration.
Old May 12, 2016, 12:51 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
As a Sydneysider the traffic here can be horrendous on a week day and if there is an accident on one of the motorways traffic can be at a stand still.
Why would you not just jump on the train from circular quay station to the airport, rather than any form of road transport? The OP did say carry on only.
Old May 17, 2016, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Why would you not just jump on the train from circular quay station to the airport, rather than any form of road transport? The OP did say carry on only.
Because I just thought of taxis.

It's a pain in the neck getting off a cruise ship.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:02 am

Just because they start disembarking at 0700 doesn't mean that you'll be getting off at 0700.

I wouldn't be booking any flights until well after lunch. Not worth it IMO.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
We're are you connecting to ex-AKL? that needs you to get an morning flight? Most of the Midday-1pm flights make US connections in AKL.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I was planning on connecting via AKL on the way to AU but going back direct from Sydney on the return on AA to LAX. Contemplating a 1pm departure on QF to SFO just to be safe. I'd prefer the SYD to LAX on AA at 10:55. If I can get off by 8 I'll be fine with the trains. I know cruise ships can be wacky sometimes with disembarking times. In the past I've ignored it and haven't had problems but you never know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.