Wiki Posts
Search

Question about WLG International Airport

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2015, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Qantas FF Platinum, VA Velocity
Question about WLG International Airport

I have a series of flights from Sydney to and from Wellington coming up. All the departures from WLG are early, about 06:30.

I seem to remember very vaguely from a WLG trip years ago that operations there are rather strange ... I have very vague memories of hanging about in a general concourse area for ages and only being able to access security and passport control shortly before the flight.

Is this right? Can anybody shed any light on this? Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How long ago? The airport is newish.

At CHC departure immigration & security opens 90 minutes before a flight I regularly get (20:30). As a wild guess WLG is the same as CHC. Expect is more to do with saving the taxpayers money. The international operations at WLG are small (and the free wifi is ***, buts that another issue). [I will be arriving into WLG on Wednesday]
https://www.wellingtonairport.co.nz/at-the-airport

KiwiFlyer will hopefully post. He will know

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Nov 8, 2015 at 11:34 pm Reason: added 20:30
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Immigration at WLG usually opens around 0430 so no point checking in much earlier than this.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Immigration at WLG usually opens around 0430 so no point checking in much earlier than this.
Thanks guys!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:35 am

Programs: QF WP LTG
Originally Posted by glazfolk
I have a series of flights from Sydney to and from Wellington coming up. All the departures from WLG are early, about 06:30.

I seem to remember very vaguely from a WLG trip years ago that operations there are rather strange ... I have very vague memories of hanging about in a general concourse area for ages and only being able to access security and passport control shortly before the flight.

Is this right? Can anybody shed any light on this? Thanks!
Last Wednesday immigration opened up approx 4.45am. There was a visual timer above the entrance counting down the minutes till the immigration doors opened (well I guessed that's what the timer was for).
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Departure is much the same as for AKL, except their rush hour is at 6am with several flights departing early (to connect onwards ex-Oz). Really helps to have priority check-in and emigration (then it is 10 min, otherwise could take an hour). No particular delay in accessing airside beyond the stated 4:30am opening time for airside access.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, yes, happily I get priority check-in and express path so hopefully all will be well. Flight is 06:30 ... but hoping for time to have a quick breakfast and coffee and coffee and coffee in the Qantas lounge!
Old Nov 14, 2015, 11:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by number_6
Departure is much the same as for AKL, except their rush hour is at 6am with several flights departing early (to connect onwards ex-Oz). Really helps to have priority check-in and emigration (then it is 10 min, otherwise could take an hour). No particular delay in accessing airside beyond the stated 4:30am opening time for airside access.
Rubbish. There is no priority immigration at WLG and even economy check in will not take no longer than 30 minutes unless you arrive too early (before check in actually opens).
Old Nov 15, 2015, 12:29 am
Original Poster

There is no priority immigration at WLG ....
Shame! But thanks for pointing this out, I won't waste any time looking for it!
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: QF WP LTG
Originally Posted by glazfolk
Thanks guys, yes, happily I get priority check-in and express path so hopefully all will be well. Flight is 06:30 ... but hoping for time to have a quick breakfast and coffee and coffee and coffee in the Qantas lounge!
Will assume you're on QF162 which is scheduled to depart @ 0635 iirc. This flight begins the boarding process @ 0605 so if you are heading through immigration at 0500 for example, you will have ample time for breakie and multiple coffees in the lounge.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll need them
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:23 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

For the early departures I generally avoid coffee in the lounge so I can sleep during the flight and adjust to Australian time zone.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:36 am
Original Poster

For the early departures I generally avoid coffee in the lounge so I can sleep during the flight and adjust to Australian time zone.
I just figure that as I'll be up at 3:30am to get the 4:05am shuttle from my hotel, I just might need some!
Old Nov 16, 2015, 12:46 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Rubbish. There is no priority immigration at WLG and even economy check in will not take no longer than 30 minutes .....
I'm sure there was a little counter just behind QF J check-in (maybe it is customs technically), but in any case very fast ... unless I'm confusing it with AKL.
Old Nov 16, 2015, 1:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
I'm sure there was a little counter just behind QF J check-in (maybe it is customs technically), but in any case very fast ... unless I'm confusing it with AKL.
Yes, what you describe there sounds very much like AKL to me ... but thanks for trying to help!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.