Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 Week Trip to Australia Ideas

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:49 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Uluru gets rave reviews by some ('must be seen to be believed'), and is panned by others. I've not been yet, so can't say really.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Some would say the Wet is the best time to see the tropics since everything is much more alive. Of course, be prepared to get rained on, but it's not cold and you're not made of sugar.

I'm not that enthused by Ayer's Rock/Uluru. It's a long way to go, and a lot of money to have extracted from your wallet at every step of the way, in order to see a geological formation which is, by world standards, nothing that amazing. On a par with Yosemite, perhaps, or any number of nice views in the Alps. It's large for a rock, but rather small for a mountain.
I really have to agree with your comments on Ayers Rock. We have been to every state in Australia, and each time we consider and then reject a visit to UlUru for the reason you mention. Australia isn't a service oriented culture so spending a lot of money, not gething good food or service and lots of tourists on a planned circuit of activities is not the travel trifecta I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Thanks for that tidbit. I'm about a 3.5 hour drive from Yosemite Valley, so it's somehting I can drive out to see whenever. It's really awesome to look at El Cap and Half Dome.

I do like to photograph landscapes, so that's why I thought it might be of interest.
Tasmania, South or West Australia, the Daintree, and Great Ocean Road would all provide nice landscapes to photograph
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by bensyd
It was not a present to the Queen. As it was minted as legal tender (a quirk in the Australian Constitution allows states to issue their own legal tender if it's done in gold or silver) I assume it is for sale.
When I asked the tour guide WHY they made that coin, that was the response I got. Have to admit I don't tend to fact check tour guides but I did a wee search and you're right, there's no mention of present. She did say she had just come back from Italy so maybe she had holiday brain....or maybe she meant it was made to honour the queen or something, but that wasn't how she phrased it. That's the only explanation I can think of. If someone gave me a gold coin I'd be taking that pressie home!!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bushiresydney
Hi,
Sydney is the best place for travelling. Beaches, Sydney Opera House, parks, this places are awesome.
1) Welcome to Flyertalk!

2) While I will spend a few nights in Sydney no matter what time of year we make the trip, I am the type of person who likes to see the countryside when on a trip for fun. I'm also the type of person who does not like doing pre-packaged tours when I can drive around (even in a country that drives on the other side of the road). I might do a guided hike, but that's the extent of my guided touring.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:00 pm

Skip Ayers Rock! I am there now- total tourist trap. Loved Adelaide, Encounter Bay the Grampians the Great ocean road and the Otways. Preferred Melbourne over Sydney but we liked Sydney.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: BA silver
I have to throw in a vote _for_ Uluru/Ayers Rock. It's pretty darn impressive out in the desert, and what you learn about aborigine culture when you walk around it is extremely interesting, it adds a totally new layer of meaning to the site. Also fascinating to observe the micro-environments caused by water runoff.
The "resort", the only place to stay near by, is indeed a tourist trap. But if you rent a car and use the right attitude (be at the resort only to eat and sleep, try to ignore the tourists), you can focus on the outback around you. We camped and threw in a trip to King's Canyon. The drive alone was an experience. And the stars out there are absolutely amazing.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:56 pm

I love Uluru! I've been twice and I am awed each time I visit. I live near Yosemite also. Yosemite has as many if not more tourists than Uluru. Flying in and seeing Uluru and the Olgas from the air is a sight to behold. However, during the Australian summer, it can be too hot and the flies can be bothersome.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by 2RETIREDTRAVELERS
Skip Ayers Rock! I am there now- total tourist trap.
Originally Posted by yhm71
I have to throw in a vote _for_ Uluru/Ayers Rock. It's pretty darn impressive out in the desert,.
Originally Posted by Goldiemom
I love Uluru! .
HA! There you go...precisely my dilemma.

On the list, off the list, on the list...

I'm considering do two days at Longitude 131, a day at kings canyon, then overnight at Alice and leave. I'll have a car so not so bound to tourist areas.

Retiredtravelers- where are you staying, and what transport are you using?
Old Sep 4, 2015, 5:04 pm

I went to Aus in March and I'd say if you are in Sydney you HAVE to spend a day or two at the Blue Mountains national park which is about an hour or so drive west. We were there for a day and a half and it was enough to do several shorter hikes and see alot of the highlights. I'm going back in Nov to do longer hikes.
I would also recommend Fraser Island which is about 3.5 hour drive north of Brisbane and is fantastic. It's a huge sand island and is an amazing place. We went on a full day tour and it's one of the best things I've ever done. Don't go on a bus type tour though for only a little extra you can go in a humvee which you share with another couple or pay extra to have privately.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by Lan44
I went to Aus in March and I'd say if you are in Sydney you HAVE to spend a day or two at the Blue Mountains national park which is about an hour or so drive west. We were there for a day and a half and it was enough to do several shorter hikes and see alot of the highlights. I'm going back in Nov to do longer hikes.
I would also recommend Fraser Island which is about 3.5 hour drive north of Brisbane and is fantastic. It's a huge sand island and is an amazing place. We went on a full day tour and it's one of the best things I've ever done. Don't go on a bus type tour though for only a little extra you can go in a humvee which you share with another couple or pay extra to have privately.
I would give an enthusiasti thumbs up. Many trips to Blue. Some very good hikes if you want, or just great touring and scenery.

Also, I spent a long weekend up near Fraser at Noosa- rented a 4x4 and had an absolute blast driving off road and on the beach. (Fraser is restriced as I recall, but elsewhere you can drive yourself on the beach. Pack a cooler, good times. Recent post on this from someone. Noosa, Noosa Heads, Fraser.

Brisbane can feel like south florida...but head out of town and the vibe is more laid back, less Fort Lauderdale.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Also, I spent a long weekend up near Fraser at Noosa- rented a 4x4 and had an absolute blast driving off road and on the beach. (Fraser is restriced as I recall, but elsewhere you can drive yourself on the beach. Pack a cooler, good times.
I think you can drive yourself on Fraser because I considered it and decided against it. Glad I did you would have to know what you are doing. I'd have got stuck somewhere for sure. Or lost, or both.

You can also camp there too I think.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 10:59 am

From another post on the subject I did:

I was there 10 years back... Rented a 4x4 and did some exploring. Don't remember the name of the beach but it was like 50miles from entry to the next exit..had an absolute blast. Me and a work buddy.

I remember the guy at the rental counter warning me about radar speed checks and sobriety check points ON the beach... "goddamn un-australian if you ask me..."

He also pointed out the lack of Insurance cover if I put the car in the ocean.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: Velocity
If you like landscape photography, then the Great Ocean Road & Grampians National Park between Melbourne and Adelaide are good. Also Kangaroo Island & Victor Harbor south of Adelaide are very scenic.

The Top End of Australia is very humid during Feb/Mar and it does sap your energy quite quickly if you're not used to it.

Generally in the north the temps are low to mid 30's (Celsius) with high humidity while in the south (Perth/Adelaide/Melbourne/Alice Springs) the temps can reach the low 40's with low humidity. Even Hobart in Tasmania can get quite hot although equally as well it can get very cold at night during this time.

Brisbane/Sydney temps are usually high 20's to mid 30's with some humidity but the temps can also get hotter.

Can echo 2RETIREDTRAVELERS comments. The Otways are really nice.

Last edited by mhsqcx081114; Sep 13, 2015 at 10:15 pm Reason: extra
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lan44
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I would give an enthusiasti thumbs up. Many trips to Blue. Some very good hikes if you want, or just great touring and scenery.

Also, I spent a long weekend up near Fraser at Noosa- rented a 4x4 and had an absolute blast driving off road and on the beach. (Fraser is restriced as I recall, but elsewhere you can drive yourself on the beach. Pack a cooler, good times. Recent post on this from someone. Noosa, Noosa Heads, Fraser.

Brisbane can feel like south florida...but head out of town and the vibe is more laid back, less Fort Lauderdale.
Thanks for the Blue Mountain suggestion. I never thought of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.