Wiki Posts
Search

Camping - Australia vs USA

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
Camping - Australia vs USA

More a curiosity question - I am not planning a trip or anything. But how does camping in Australia compare to camping in the USA?

I know they sell a lot of trailers/caravans, although many of them look more akin to rugged off road adventures than to the normal campgrounds one finds in the US. It seems there are a lot more tents and tent trailers than normal caravans. And do they have campgrounds with assigned sites and seperated by trees, etc? Or is it more European style where there is a big field and you go set up wherever you feel like?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
The later, more commonly.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just watch out for the dingos.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:03 pm

Programs: NZ*S
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Just watch out for the dingos.
No need, the dropbears got them all..
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:17 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
My recollection is that campers there are much smaller than the US. Campers are pulled with standard size cars and utes. No massive 4x4 dualy, turbo charged V8 diesles with 45 ft dual pop out campers.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
My recollection is that campers there are much smaller than the US. Campers are pulled with standard size cars and utes. No massive 4x4 dualy, turbo charged V8 diesles with 45 ft dual pop out campers.
And no freaking converted buses. Well, not so many, anyway. I went to Yellowstone and every vista had some rich retiree's bus parked in front of it...

I've never understood the appeal. You'd think for the amount you're spending on that behemoth, plus the fuel you're burning getting from place to place, you could just drive around in a car and stay in a motel every night.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Cloudship
More a curiosity question - I am not planning a trip or anything. But how does camping in Australia compare to camping in the USA?

I know they sell a lot of trailers/caravans, although many of them look more akin to rugged off road adventures than to the normal campgrounds one finds in the US. It seems there are a lot more tents and tent trailers than normal caravans. And do they have campgrounds with assigned sites and seperated by trees, etc? Or is it more European style where there is a big field and you go set up wherever you feel like?
Camping in Australia refers to a tent, may be just out in the open in a National Forest campground or in set space at a caravan park. In National Parks there are often reserved areas for campgrounds with camping being illegal outside of those areas.

The RV part of the experience is referred to as Caravaning and is much more European in nature. Whilst not unheard of, the Winnebago RV is less common in Australia with most folks opting to go for the tow caravan or the caravan based upon a light truck chassis. Caravaning is mostly done at caravan parks where there is a set site with power and a central amenities block. In certain municipalities councils have started banning roadside caravaning and it is illegal to park up overnight at many of the patrolled beaches.

If one has the chance New Zealand is one of the best places to Caravan with plenty of infrastructure to tour both Islands by caravan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.