Wiki Posts
Search

Insecticide spraying while on plane

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United, Marriott, Hilton, Starwood

We were on a flight that landed in Brisbane in which they sprayed the plane with insecticide and then kept us on board for over 1/2 hour.

Is it common that the planes are sprayed while on board?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat

Yep. Several countries require that before landing. Had same experience recently on an MH flight landing in LHR. They usually make an announcement to cover your nose before that.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Common occurrence from what I understand on flights into Australia.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:11 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by Sal5048
We were on a flight that landed in Brisbane in which they sprayed the plane with insecticide and then kept us on board for over 1/2 hour.

Is it common that the planes are sprayed while on board?
Does UA now fly to Brisbane? If not how is this related to United or are you asking if UA ever sprays planes on landing?
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:15 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...-aircraft.html

Welcome to Australia: Pardon Our Quarantine

US DOT Aircraft Disinsection Requirements (at foreign airports)
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Small datapoint: On my last ten flights arriving in Australia (seven flights originating in the US, two NZ flights originating in New Zealand, and one NZ flight from the Cook Islands), I've gone through the spraying process once (arriving from SFO on UA).
Not a common occurrence. Since there are a lot of NZ flights to Australia every day, I assume that they make sure to fumigate the aircraft according to AQIS specifications to avoid the on-arrival spraying.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ani90
Does UA now fly to Brisbane? If not how is this related to United or are you asking if UA ever sprays planes on landing?
A United flight was diverted to Brisbane.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Small datapoint: On my last ten flights arriving in Australia (seven flights originating in the US, two NZ flights originating in New Zealand, and one NZ flight from the Cook Islands), I've gone through the spraying process once (arriving from SFO on UA).
Not a common occurrence. Since there are a lot of NZ flights to Australia every day, I assume that they make sure to fumigate the aircraft according to AQIS specifications to avoid the on-arrival spraying.
I asked a few other friends that have flown to Australia and none of them remember the plane being sprayed before they deboarded. I thus thought that it may have occurred on our flight because the flight was diverted to a different airport.

I read that the planes are sprayed but it doesn't appear to be routine to spray the plane while on the plane.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 0.6 MM
I flew into Colombo, Sri Lanka Sunday (on Sri Lankan, no *A mileage partners to get here, alas) and they sprayed the plane. I have never been on a flight where that was done and assumed it was because we were going to an island.

I doubt Air India will spray from here to Delhi! But will be certain to report back if the event that they do.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:11 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Most airlines flying to Australia pre-treat their aircraft using a long-lasting treatment. This eliminates the need to spray (which was common a decade ago). A few airlines spray instead of pre-treating. The health hazard is the same in both cases (believed to be zero). UA seems to spray often, fwiw, while QF never sprays (all their planes are pre-treated). This isn't unique to Australia, and many US domestic planes have chemical treatments in the passenger cabin. Snakes on planes, anyone?
Old Apr 22, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: AADULtArer
It's a test program to kill off over entitled elites. It synergistically binds to carrots stolen from the UC club to form a lethal mix.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Sal5048
I asked a few other friends that have flown to Australia and none of them remember the plane being sprayed before they deboarded. I thus thought that it may have occurred on our flight because the flight was diverted to a different airport.

I read that the planes are sprayed but it doesn't appear to be routine to spray the plane while on the plane.
spraying is not uncommon.

However if an airline chooses this method it's almost always done (your case is an exception) about 30 minutes or so before landing so you're good to go as soon as you pull up to the gate.
Old May 2, 2015, 8:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold
They have been doing that spraying BS ever since I have flown into Australia, which is the 70's.
Old May 3, 2015, 2:35 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by Forever in Seattle
They have been doing that spraying BS ever since I have flown into Australia, which is the 70's.
QF stopped spraying more than a decade ago and I haven't seen spraying on my last 100 flights into Oz. QF pre-treats their entire fleet, so there is no need for spraying. Other airlines which don't have a dedicated fleet to Oz and don't want to spend the money to pre-treat all their planes will spray when they use an untreated plane. Kind of an indicator of airline quality and willingness to spend extra for a better pax experience
Old May 3, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
I've experienced similar flying into Aus from Indonesia on chartered aircraft.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.