Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International transfer at Sydney airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Poster

International transfer at Sydney airport

I will be landing at Sydney International airport on a Qantas flight from Bangkok. I will then be taking a Jetstar flight from the same terminal to Queenstown. How long do I need to allow to retrieve my baggage and check in to the Jetstar flight?
Old Apr 10, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Are you holding any of the passports of the mentioned on this site http://www.customs.gov.au/smartgate/...p#whoSmartGate

If so you will save time being able to use SmartGate, be aware once collecting your bags you will get to clear Quarantine/Customs screening for your bags, this process can essay take 30-60minutes during some times of the day.

If this isn't on an single booking, you will need at least 5hours to be safe.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
QF interlines with Jetstar international, so you can stay airside and don't need to claim bags, clear customs and recheck with JQ at SYD.
From qantas.com:
"In most instances you can through check yourself and your baggage from a Qantas domestic or international flight to a Jetstar international flight. For baggage to be through checked (transferred) your flights must be in the same booking (ie: have the same booking reference number)."
Old Apr 10, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ocean...er-thread.html
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:35 pm
Original Member

OP is flying JQ to NZ so it is intl and no change of terminals. Avoiding the dreadful dom-intl terminal connection (esp. for JQ/VA).
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:08 am

International<->International (NZ<->TG): do you really have to claim baggage and pass through security, or is it possible to check the luggage through and to stay air side?
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by flyfd
International<->International (NZ<->TG): do you really have to claim baggage and pass through security, or is it possible to check the luggage through and to stay air side?
Are you booked on an single ticket or booked as two separate tickets?

If booked on an single ticket, they should be able to check you through to AKL/BKK at check-in.

If not on an single ticket, NZ will 99.9% refuse to check your bag beyond SYD. Then you'd need to claim, clear customs, then re-check bags with TG.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Are you booked on an single ticket or booked as two separate tickets?

If booked on an single ticket, they should be able to check you through to AKL/BKK at check-in.

If not on an single ticket, NZ will 99.9% refuse to check your bag beyond SYD. Then you'd need to claim, clear customs, then re-check bags with TG.
Thanks for the quick feedback. It's two tickets but I never had problems with interlining bags on *A flights on two tickets. Though, this will be my first NZ flight...
Old Sep 21, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Air NZ policy is pretty brutal on separate tickets, and strictly enforced. No special treatment for Star alliance (unlike most Star airlines; TG to NZ will interline in the opposite direction on separate tickets). From website, "If you have a connecting flight on a separate ticket, your baggage cannot be through-checked. You will need to collect your baggage and check in for your separately ticketed flight, where the baggage allowance and excess charges of that flight will apply. The only exception to this is that your baggage may be through-checked if you have a domestic Air New Zealand connection that is ticketed separately as an international conjunction fare (i.e. not a stand alone domestic fare)." http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/chec...necting-travel

You will need 3+ hours connection time to make NZ to TG connection at SYD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.