Search

Hobart car rental

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Hobart car rental

Hello, everyone.
I will be flying to Tasmania in March.
Planning on renting a car in Hobart and driving the east coast, then to Launceston, then back to Hobart.
Any preferences or advice on which rental company to use?
Thanks.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 5:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by ArkTraveler101
Hello, everyone.
I will be flying to Tasmania in March.
Planning on renting a car in Hobart and driving the east coast, then to Launceston, then back to Hobart.
Any preferences or advice on which rental company to use?
Thanks.
All the major companies are represented at HBA. I tend to use Hertz as they work out a lot cheaper than Avis who I normally use. There are a couple of local Oz companies - I can dig out the details if you like?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:41 am

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
All the major companies are represented at HBA. I tend to use Hertz as they work out a lot cheaper than Avis who I normally use. There are a couple of local Oz companies - I can dig out the details if you like?
Just be aware that Hertz have a non waivable excess of AU$9,900 if you damage the car on unsealed roads. I've always used Avis in Tassie.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:51 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by AdMEL
Just be aware that Hertz have a non waivable excess of AU$9,900 if you damage the car on unsealed roads. I've always used Avis in Tassie.
If you have an Amex Plat card then they take all liability for damage
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:43 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Does that include windshield chips? That is the most common damage, and excluded surprisingly often. Cost of $1000 when it happens but car companies charge rental during the repair period so it becomes $2000. Of course they sell their own "policies" which cover this at an exorbinant cost. Driving on gravel roads is definitely a hazard for new rental cars, and unavoidable in trips like the OP describes.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: QFF NB, Velocity Silver, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred, Thrifty Blue Chip (Oz), Europcar Privilege Exec.
Originally Posted by number_6
Does that include windshield chips? That is the most common damage, and excluded surprisingly often. Cost of $1000 when it happens but car companies charge rental during the repair period so it becomes $2000. Of course they sell their own "policies" which cover this at an exorbinant cost. Driving on gravel roads is definitely a hazard for new rental cars, and unavoidable in trips like the OP describes.
Windscreen and tyre damage is almost always excluded for rental cars in Australia.

As you say, some of the rental car companies cover it if you pay.

Avis and Budget do not provide that option.

Hertz will cover it if MAX cover is available - I suspect not in Tassie, as all outlets are franchises. Hertz have recently added a windscreen and tyre replacement cost to their website - some of those costs are way less than the actual cost! Though it doesn't specifically say that is the charge, it is implied.

Thrifty also cover it if the highest level of 'insurance' is purchased.

Europcar have two options - windscreen and tyre cover for less than $10 a day, or they are covered if the highest level of 'insurance' is purchased.

Bear in mind that most of the rental car agencies in Tassie of all brands are franchises, so it's unlikely they offer this cover. I suspect this is why Hertz have the $9,900 excess.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 12:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by number_6
The Amex Plat cover means that they accept all liability for the claim. I'm not sure what would happen if you had broken the terms of the rental agreement though.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
The Amex Plat cover means that they accept all liability for the claim. I'm not sure what would happen if you had broken the terms of the rental agreement though.
Hertz don't actually prohibit you driving on gravel roads - they just don't provide any cover or charge a very large excess. 4WD are allowed to drive on gravel roads.

Avis and Budget allow you to drive on gravel roads, with full cover.

As far as I am aware, Thrifty and Europcar prohibit you driving on unsealed roads (there are some exceptions: if you have rented a 4WD and paid for unsealed road cover).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.