Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rental car companies requiring Road Code knowledge

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2014, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Rental car companies requiring Road Code knowledge

Just a heads up to those of you not on a NZ or AU licence: some rental vehicle companies, especially in Southland, Otago and Queenstown, are recommending that you do this test http://www.drivingtests.co.nz/roadcode/tourist/ before you take one of their cars. Tourism NZ is also using it.

This is because the police are focusing heavily on that region and its super-high rate of tourist accidents. They've been pulling people over and tearing up their rental contracts (usually Asian drivers, according to the newspaper).

There are new steering wheel cards and you should also get a copy of 'What's different about driving in New Zealand', which is a pamphlet they'll either give to you or leave in the glovebox.
Old Oct 29, 2014, 5:30 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by Carlos11Jackson
This is because the police are focusing heavily on that region and its super-high rate of tourist accidents. They've been pulling people over and tearing up their rental contracts (usually Asian drivers, according to the newspaper).
Given that in many countries a driving license can simply be bought, this test is a good thing.

I never noticed aggressive behavior by Asian drivers in New Zealand - they calm down if they are not at home . A danger are the motor homes (a real pest) driving slowly and stopping inadvertently.

P.S. : Just passed the test with 61 out of 66 right .
Old Nov 4, 2014, 11:09 pm

I found NZ'ers were just as bad. They just don't like to be told that. It's easier for them to blame Asians, or anyone who comes from 'somewhere' else lol. But yes, Asian drivers are a menace - not just in NZ but all over the world. They can build 'em but they can't drive 'em.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.