Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Australian Trains

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 6:28 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I'm also a train fan but mainly use them for intra-state trips.
There are very few really interesting long distance train rides in Australia.

The country is a big rounded square with a mostly convex coastline and long-distance trains take the shortest distance which mostly means cutting across the interior which eliminates any interesting features like hills, rivers, fertile populated areas and sea-views.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Lottie1001
Thanks for that information, hurryupandslowdown. I'd never come across Tigerair, so we can look into that for some of the travel.
Tiger is cheap, that's where the good things end.

They have a very small fleet, and if anything goes wrong they are likely to leave you stranded at the airport and tell you to go and buy a ticket with one of the other carriers and to expect a refund in 4 to 6 weeks.

As for catching trains in Australia, I've caught a few trains (talking intercity / interstate, not suburban), they are very expensive, often close to if not more expensive than an airfare, they are slow, often with lots of stops along the way (which makes them slower than the bus). They are comfortable enough, and often have some sort of buy on board food service. But unless you are a train buff, they are not the way of getting around any sort of distance.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Agree with what others have said. I don't think you could pay me to get on a Sydney-Melbourne train service. Slow, old trains and boring scenery.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by bensyd
Agree with what others have said. I don't think you could pay me to get on a Sydney-Melbourne train service. Slow, old trains and boring scenery.
and according to a friend of mine who does the trip somewhat frequently (well from Yass to Melbourne at least), you get a lot of "interesting" people on that service. By interesting I mean you sleep with one eye open...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by harvyk
and according to a friend of mine who does the trip somewhat frequently (well from Yass to Melbourne at least), you get a lot of "interesting" people on that service. By interesting I mean you sleep with one eye open...
Ha! I wasn't sure if I was remembering correctly that I'd read that somewhere, so didn't mention it. I guess I did.

The reality is that everyone either flies or drives. What's left are those who can only afford the train -- if you're on the dole you can use a concession card for discounted fares. From what I understand a few of the passengers BYO booze (I'm talking premixed Woodstock and Coke, not a glass of bubbly to have with a lunch hamper) and/or some stronger stuff.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:40 pm

Hot tip if you do travel by train: on the daytime routes, you can get "First Class" for pennies extra (eg. <$10 for Sydney-Canberra, ~5 hrs). This buys you a slightly larger seat, easy access to the bar/restaurant, and a distinctly non-threatening set of neighbors.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:58 am

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by jpatokal
Hot tip if you do travel by train: on the daytime routes, you can get "First Class" for pennies extra (eg. <$10 for Sydney-Canberra, ~5 hrs). This buys you a slightly larger seat, easy access to the bar/restaurant, and a distinctly non-threatening set of neighbors.
Slightly is putting it mildly. I'd be surprised if it's any bigger. It's still 2-2 configuration. Legroom and recline is a bit more but not hugely. Check this link: http://www.nswtrainlink.info/your_journey/seating

Fellow travellers are probably a bit better though.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 1:56 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Shanye2233
Use BA to fly around australia
How can you "Use BA to fly around australia" (sic) when BA only fly, once a day, into one Australian city (SYD)?

Dave
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by thadocta
How can you "Use BA to fly around australia" (sic) when BA only fly, once a day, into one Australian city (SYD)?

Dave
I can only presume they meant Qantas which still codeshares with BA I believe.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by thadocta

Dave
He obviously means Avios.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the continued responses.

I was confused by BA, too.

However Avios might be good. Would I be able to use them for internal flights in Australia, even if I fly from London without using them?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

However Avios might be good. Would I be able to use them for internal flights in Australia, even if I fly from London without using them?
Yes.
Shanye2233 confuses many of us here
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Slightly is putting it mildly. I'd be surprised if it's any bigger. It's still 2-2 configuration. Legroom and recline is a bit more but not hugely. Check this link: http://www.nswtrainlink.info/your_journey/seating
To be precise, the first class seat has precisely 6.45 cm more legroom. It's a train, not an LCC, and all the seats are pretty generously sized by airplane standards... but as noted, I still wouldn't want to sit in one for 12 hours!
Old Aug 24, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by jpatokal
To be precise, the first class seat has precisely 6.45 cm more legroom. It's a train, not an LCC, and all the seats are pretty generously sized by airplane standards... but as noted, I still wouldn't want to sit in one for 12 hours!
Esp considering that for around the same price you could be there in about an hour and a half.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 5:01 am

Programs: BA
Thanks for the continued responses.

Provided you have enough Avios, you should be able to book Avios redemptions with QF - possibly via the BA website for mainline QF services, but for QantasLink (a subsidiary that flies to the relatively smaller places) you'll need to call BA. If you do manage it on the BA site then just search as normal for an Avios flight between (say) BNE and SYD and it will hopefully throw up a message saying something along the lines of "BA don't fly there but try these options instead...".

Of course when I try and double-check that it works I get the "Sorry our systems are not responding" message

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.