Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to buy Fijian dollars?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2014, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, former AC E35K
Best place to buy Fijian dollars?

I am travelling next week to Fiji from Canada and looking to exchange CDN dollars into FJD. The local currency place is going to charge me about 11.5% in order to exchange my money, when compared to the rate per xe.com. I've called up my bank to enquire about changing money there and they've informed me that they do not carry FJD.

As we will be spending all of our time on the islands we will not have access to ATM's so we will likely only get 1 ATM withdrawal which I believe is capped at about $500 CDN, which I don't believe will be enough. Considering that not all places accept credit card, I don't think 1 ATM withdrawal will be enough.

What other options do I have to obtain more FJD without paying highway robbery prices?

thanks
Old Jul 16, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
I'm not sure if it's available in Canada but the Travelex Cash Passport has a daily withdrawal limit of AU$3,000. Maybe just load one of those up and go withdraw from an ATM once in Fiji?
Old Jul 18, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You can also exchange CDN currency for FJD almost everywhere in Fiji, decent rates outside of the hotel (hotels will charge 10% extra). But ATM is the most convenient unless you are going to the more isolated parts where no ATMs exist in which case NAN airport on arrival should work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.