Search

Sydney Hotel Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2014, 3:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Sydney Hotel Recommendations?

I normally stay in the radission but would like to try others.
  • I have status on all major hotel chains
  • Need to by as close to CBD as possible
  • View of Harbour is nice but not essential
  • Need a family room (2 adults, 2 Kids)
  • Preferably wifi and Breakfast included
  • Budget: about 300 AU per night
  • would like a pool
Old May 7, 2014, 11:16 pm

Programs: VA GOLD QF PLAT
The Sheraton on the Park is in a midtown location across the road from Hyde Park and the park view rooms look over the park, cathedral, and across the eastern suburbs out to the ocean. It's a terrific hotel, the rooms and bathrooms are tip top and because it isn't at Circular Quay, it's usually good value. I usually book via lastminute.com.au or wotif.com.au.

If you need apartment style accommodation, Mantra is reliable and keenly priced with several properties around the Sydney CBD. You won't get much in the way of views though.

All under AUD$300 per night
Old May 9, 2014, 5:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Westin has a great pool and is in the very center of the CBD. Personally I like it better than the Sheraton.
Old May 9, 2014, 7:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Westin has a great pool and is in the very center of the CBD. Personally I like it better than the Sheraton.
The westin want 370 AU per night unless I pay in advance in which case it's 290
Old May 9, 2014, 9:35 am

After three recent stays I'm a big fan of the Sheraton. I've stayed in a few of the higher end hotels in the CBD and lived in a Meriton (similar to Mantra) serviced flat. The Sheraton has become my favorite hotel for value and location.

If you're looking for a pool the kids can swim in, the Sheraton wins hands down. The Westin pool is part of a gym that is attached the hotel and it's very corporate. Plus the views from the Sheraton pool are amazing, as are the views from the executive lounge. Suites and rooms on higher floors also have decent views. The rooms on higher floors at the Sheraton have better views of the park and if you can manage a room on the corner or the southern side of the building you might end up with some really good water views, too.
Old May 9, 2014, 9:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Sheraton don't do family rooms according to TA
Old May 11, 2014, 11:26 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by dc2447
Sheraton don't do family rooms according to TA
Sounds like you want a serviced apartment. They are quite nice in Australia but aren't hotels (so no room service or bellman or doorman); having a kitchen more than makes up for it. There are literally dozens in Sydney CBD to choose from at all price points (up to $1000 per night for some apartments -- they are that nice). Medina/Adina chain is my favourite but all are good and sounds like you care more about location.
Old May 12, 2014, 1:45 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Sydney Hilton is great. Big fitness center, wonderful executive lounge. Very nice restaurant.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: QF, AA, BD, PC, HH, Hertz
Originally Posted by 747FC
Sydney Hilton is great. Big fitness center, wonderful executive lounge. Very nice restaurant.
I am also a big fan of the Hilton. The location is handy for most things and the exec lounge is good.
Old May 21, 2014, 11:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Does the Hilton have a pool? I don't remember one there.
Old May 22, 2014, 2:02 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Does the Hilton have a pool? I don't remember one there.
25 m pool.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: VA GOLD QF PLAT
Before they jazzed the Syd Hilton up the pool used to be outdoors and kinda good. Same position ?

PS. I hope Luke Mangan's food in his restaurant at the Hilton is better than his food in the VA lounges
Old May 26, 2014, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
+1 for Hilton, will have you sorted, even moreso if you can access Exec Lounge!
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:22 pm

I'm staying at the hilton in about a month and it's not really set for a family all rooms are either a king or two single beds. But intercontinental has double suites with double beds. About $400 a night. Or possibly try meriton serviced apartments they are really good value for money. All meriton apartments have free wifi and if you join ihg rewards for free, you get free wifi at the intercontinental aswell.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 3:59 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Ended up staying in Radisson, 337 per night including breakfast for four each morning.

The points bonus should mean that I will get a bunch of points for this stay (15 nights).

We got a nice upgrade too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.