Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6+ hour layover in Perth (PER) - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question PER luggage check/accommodation queries

I am bumping an existing thread, hoping to catch the experts........

I am visiting PER for 50 h next May. Arriving in the int'l term from SIN, departing from the domestic (JQ). Is there any luggage storage in the domestic terminal (s)? Cost?

For a short stay, I am thinking of staying near the airport? But Post 10 (above) has been thinking CBD? Suggestions?
Old Oct 26, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: QF
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
I am bumping an existing thread, hoping to catch the experts........

I am visiting PER for 50 h next May. Arriving in the int'l term from SIN, departing from the domestic (JQ). Is there any luggage storage in the domestic terminal (s)? Cost?

For a short stay, I am thinking of staying near the airport? But Post 10 (above) has been thinking CBD? Suggestions?
50 hours, as in 2 and a bit days?
If it's that, get well away from the airport and go exploring.

If you're talking 5 hours, then you're really in a no mans land. Not really enough time to do all the official customs things, get to the city and back in time for a dom flight (esp a JQ flight), but too long to spend sitting around airports.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 6:16 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Depends on the time of day.

If your stopover is daytime, I'd get a cab to Guildford. Some nice cafes and pubs there, and some tourist infrastructure, attractive walks.

Then it's not far to get a cab back to the domestic airport, which is nearer Guildford than International terminal.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 2:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
Originally Posted by mandolino
Depends on the time of day.

If your stopover is daytime, I'd get a cab to Guildford. Some nice cafes and pubs there, and some tourist infrastructure, attractive walks.

Then it's not far to get a cab back to the domestic airport, which is nearer Guildford than International terminal.
^

Guildford would be a great place for a short layover. If you are there during the warmer months, The Rose & Crown pub has a lovely beer garden. Also in Guildford (along James Street which runs parallel to the train tracks) is a burger joint called Alfred's Kitchen that opens at 5pm and does THE best burgers (especially the CRAM burger!).

Also along James Street are some cool and quirky shops that make it easy to whittle the time away. Walking to the north side of the train tracks is great too - a nice leafy suburban area to walk around.
Old May 17, 2015, 3:19 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Perth airport to CBD shuttle

Originally Posted by I did notice there is now a shuttle service from the airport to CBD. [url
http://www.perthairportconnect.com.au[/u
I just arrived in PER and initial impressions are not great.........

The airport shuttle operates nine times a day on weekends and 14 on weekdays i.e. there is no service for big chunks of the day e.g. from 07:35 to 18:00. What is up with that?

There is no tourist information booth on the arrivals level of Perth Int'l Airport. None. Also the shuttle does not operate from the int'l terminal i.e. you need to take a Connect Bus 10 km to the domestic terminal to get it.

When I reached the domestic, a friendly bus driver told me to take the Perth city bus...........the fare is $4.40 (versus $15 for the shuttle) and it reached my destination on St. Georges Terrace (Victoria Gardens) in 30 minutes. Sweet!

Last edited by Antonio8069; May 17, 2015 at 2:24 pm Reason: more information
Old May 17, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I blame the taxi mafia.
Luckily Perth now has Uber and it's quite cheap (once you get out of the airport!) for such an expensive city.

All buses in the city centre are are free, which eases the pain a bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.