Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is ID checked when flying domestic in Oz?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2012, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Is ID checked when flying domestic in Oz?

In January, my sister and I will be flying from Brisbane to Perth and back for a friend's wedding. The friend booked our flights for us, accidentally booking mine in my married name, not realising that since my divorce, the only photo ID I have is in my maiden name, (I do still have a valid ATM card with my married name on it, but that's hardly photo ID). Of course, the fares she booked don't allow name changes.

If I check in online, am I likely to have to show ID at any point at the airport?

My sister and I both have baggage added to our tickets. We're flying Virgin on the way there, and Qantas on the way back. Do they both have a checked baggage drop where you can check it in yourself without having to show anyone at the counter any ID? If not, we can probably fit enough stuff for both of us into one suitcase that my sister can check in.

Considering that cross country flights aren't cheap, I don't want to have to cancel and re-book if it's likely that I won't have to show ID and the mismatched surname issue won't come up. I did consider calling both Virgin and Qantas to see if I could explain and beg my way into a surname change, but don't really like my chances, and again, if showing ID likely won't be an issue, then it's not really worth the stress of trying to get it changed.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
ID is not checked for domestic flights in Oz. Also liquids can be carried onboard freely The airlines do like to have correct names for the flight manifest but I imagine have married/maiden name intermixed is a somewhat common event and not a problem.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Having flown lots of domestic AU routes i have never been asked for ID. You will be fine
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold
It may not be checked in most cases, i.e. self checkin etc but it still can be a requirement. I have been asked for it only as recently as October when flying JQ with an infant. I have also been asked for it when flying QF and the kiosk failing.

I would think there is an element of risk to do it without (not that I wouldn't take the risk depending on the circumstances) Assuming you don't hit a human all good.
Old Dec 8, 2012, 11:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Do you have old ID like a passport with the old name on it? Could be of use if here are any questions.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:54 am

Programs: QF
The answer is sometimes... For the most part no, if you use the self serve check-in and bag drop, you won't be asked for ID. But every so often they will ask to see it...

Don't forget that quite a few of us are FF program members (eg me) and as such my "ID" is checked when I hand over my FF card to check in (as I still prefer the human touch).

You could always call both VA and QF and explain the situation if it will put your mind at ease. Whilst they may not officially allow name changes, I'm sure your not the first person to have had a ticket booked where by married / maiden names come into play.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:57 pm
mfl

Programs: Miles & More, Virgin Velocity
On Qantaslink flights, I have never been asked for ID, but REX certainly does for online checkin, (but neither airline maybe relevant to your trip though).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:53 am

Programs: QF Silver
As others have said it's very unlikely to have to produce ID, but also consider carrying a copy of the divorce decree or something with your previous married name and date of birth which will match your current ID.

As long as you offer something which even tacitly removes their responsibility I've found that most Aussie airport personnel are happy to smile and wave you through instead of listening to the entire explanation or having to do something out of the norm.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, everyone. Am feeling somewhat less paranoid now.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Do you have old ID like a passport with the old name on it? Could be of use if here are any questions.
Unfortunately no, no photo ID handy with the married name on it. That'd absolve my paranoia completely if I had something to fit that bill.

Originally Posted by Zarf4
As others have said it's very unlikely to have to produce ID, but also consider carrying a copy of the divorce decree or something with your previous married name and date of birth which will match your current ID.

As long as you offer something which even tacitly removes their responsibility I've found that most Aussie airport personnel are happy to smile and wave you through instead of listening to the entire explanation or having to do something out of the norm.
Yeah, I'm thinking I'll take along as much ID documentation as possible, just on the off chance I do get questioned. If they really wanna investigate my identity, I'd check out fine, it'd just be a hassle and I'd hate for it to hold me up to the point where I missed the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.