Search

Simultaneous business and visitor ETAs?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2012, 5:17 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Simultaneous business and visitor ETAs?

I current hold a valid visitor ETA, but I will be going to Australia on business in December. (I am also eligible for SmartGate.) Would I need to obtain a separate business ETA, or would my existing ETA be adequate? Can one hold two valid ETAs at the same time?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 9:19 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan
Original Poster

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
I ended up using SmartGate so it wasn't an issue, but does anyone have an answer to this question one way or the other?
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:49 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Answered at http://www.immi.gov.au/helptexts/en/eta/faqs/ "what if I already hold a current visa for travel to Australia?" which says: "If you receive the following message when completing an online ETA application, please contact your nearest Australian visa office:
"The ETA you have applied for cannot be issued online because you already have a current visa to travel to Australia"
See:www.immi.gov.au
"
A tourist ETA prohibits working within Australia, so you must apply for a business visa. Failure to do so can mean exclusion from Australia for a number of years if you are caught working on a tourist visa or ETA (working includes business meetings, bringing business materials into the country, etc.) Very easy to get a business visa.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
You can use your existing ETA. No need to duplicate.

Originally Posted by number_6
working includes business meetings, bringing business materials into the country, etc.
No, it doesn't.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Unfortunately the Australian government disagrees with you, per Dept of Immigration and Citizenship, where it states: "Visa options
If you are planning to visit Australia for a business event such as a conference, meeting or seminar, you need to apply for a business visitor visa. The passport which you hold determines whether you can apply online, or if you need to lodge a paper-based application"

Many people break the law and use the wrong visa for entry into Australia, as enforcement is not strict, but the law is quite clear. I've had a colleague expelled after a competitor lodged a complaint that business was being conducted under a tourist visa, so this is a topic close to my heart.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by number_6
Unfortunately the Australian government disagrees with you, per Dept of Immigration and Citizenship, where it states: "Visa options
If you are planning to visit Australia for a business event such as a conference, meeting or seminar, you need to apply for a business visitor visa. The passport which you hold determines whether you can apply online, or if you need to lodge a paper-based application"

Many people break the law and use the wrong visa for entry into Australia, as enforcement is not strict, but the law is quite clear. I've had a colleague expelled after a competitor lodged a complaint that business was being conducted under a tourist visa, so this is a topic close to my heart.
Why on Earth would a competitor even know what sort of visa someone was in the country on. Seriously.

A business ETA is the same, in everything but name, as the tourist ETA. If it was a paper visa then different story.

Last edited by bensyd; Dec 18, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.