Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Queensland Photo Speed Ticker for USA Resident.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
Originally Posted by serfty
Note true - the "informant" (police) would be laughed out of court if a driver decided to challenge such an infringement.

3Kmh is taken off the recorded speed to arrive at an "alleged" speed.

This is due to the limits of the mandated accuracy of a vehicle's speedometer.
The tolerance on fixed speed cameras in Victoria is 2 km/h. For mobile it is 3 km/h or 3%.

Someone caught doing 65km/h (as the Vic police minister was) will get a fine for travelling at an "alleged" speed of 63 km/h. Punitive speeding laws like that tell me the government either sees a fat cash cow that it can milk or that, as a nation, we are so completely unable to operate a motor vehicle safely that we need the government to watch us like a hawk, lest we hurt ourselves.

Either way it's pathetic.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by bensyd
The tolerance on fixed speed cameras in Victoria is 2 km/h. For mobile it is 3 km/h or 3%.

Someone caught doing 65km/h (as the Vic police minister was) will get a fine for travelling at an "alleged" speed of 63 km/h. Punitive speeding laws like that tell me the government either sees a fat cash cow that it can milk or that, as a nation, we are so completely unable to operate a motor vehicle safely that we need the government to watch us like a hawk, lest we hurt ourselves.

Either way it's pathetic.
Travel in excess of the limit, wrap yourself around a light pole and die or end up a vegetable for the rest of your life, fine, go for it, I really couldn't care, just make sure you're self-funded.

Take a bystander with you, as often happens, then that's a different matter. It's not just "ourselves" that get hurt, is it.

None of which relates, of course, to foreigners who come to Australia, knowingly break the law then whine when they get caught - ie the premise of this thread.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
Travel in excess of the limit, wrap yourself around a light pole and die or end up a vegetable for the rest of your life, fine, go for it, I really couldn't care, just make sure you're self-funded.

Take a bystander with you, as often happens, then that's a different matter. It's not just "ourselves" that get hurt, is it.
There's a difference between speeding and dangerous driving. @:-)

Despite our draconian speeding laws we don't have a fantastic road safety record.

I don't understand the fascination with speed limits that we have in this country. But I feel so much safer knowing all those reckless hoons are getting their comeuppance for doing 65 in a 60 zone, or 115 in a 110 zone.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:38 pm

Programs: QFF LTG , HHD
I also have been done a couple of times over the years on that same road. I had to pay up. So should you. Did you notice the makeshift crosses on the side of the road? Kids and adults on bikes, and pedestrians, have been killed by speeding drivers along that highway. Pay up and take it as a lesson.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by thadocta
As someone who works in rescue roles, speed limits are mostly sensible, and are well sign-posted (at least in NSW). In NSW, if you get donw, then you deserve to get done (and I work and live in the Blue Mountains, wiere the speed limits change with such regularity that most people change their underwear more frequently).

Nothing wrong with it though, you need to look for such things as a driver, if you miss the new speed limit sign, then you aren't concentrating enough.

Dave
(obtained licence in 1987, in 2012 I have not lost a single point)
I'm not a fan of the constant changes in speed limit, of which – as you say – the main road over the Blue Mountains is an egregious example, but it's common in Australia and also in the UK. It seems to me it has two problems:
  • It encourages the idea that the speed limit is the speed at which one ought to be travelling (i.e. no less, I mean – I'm not talking about people who want to exceed the limit), whereas drivers ought to be encouraged to use their judgement and, if necessary, travel at a lower speed, depending on road and weather conditions, amount of traffic, and so on. Because we now have a situation where the speed limit is reduced almost every time there's a slightly tricky bend or a brow of hill to be negotiated, drivers are discouraged from using their judgement.
  • It fosters "driving by the speedometer", whereby drivers spend more time than they ought to checking what speed their doing and less time than they ought to actually watching the road.

The UK used to have, essentially, three speed limits with very rare exceptions - 30 (mph) for built-up areas, 60 for non-built-up areas, and 70 for motorways and rural dual carriageways. Now there are multiple speed limits, and a young son of a friend of mine counted 12 changes of limit in a 10-mile trip the other week. This strikes me as simply ridiculous, to be honest.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by serfty
Note true - the "informant" (police) would be laughed out of court if a driver decided to challenge such an infringement.

3Kmh is taken off the recorded speed to arrive at an "alleged" speed.

This is due to the limits of the mandated accuracy of a vehicle's speedometer.
No doubt true, but it's also true that most people aren't going to be bothered to challenge something like that in court, simply because they'll think (with good reason) that it's more trouble than it's worth. I guess too that the authorities know this.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 2:12 am

Originally Posted by turtlemichael
Pay up and take it as a lesson.
^
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Christopher
whereas drivers ought to be encouraged to use their judgement and, if necessary, travel at a lower speed, depending on road and weather conditions, amount of traffic, and so on.
And that is the thrust of my argument. There are plenty of times of when the road conditions suggest a slower speed than posted limit. People are like sheep and they assume that the speed limit means that's the speed that is safe. On a clear day with a dry road and no traffic, I will get a ticket for travelling at 125 in a 110 zone but on a wet day with poor visibility in and heavy traffic I won't get one for travelling at 110 in a 110 zone. And that excludes the condition and age of the vehicle.

You don't encourage sensible driving by treating drivers like children.

Last edited by bensyd; Feb 29, 2012 at 3:14 am
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:19 am

DELETED

Last edited by BadgerBoi; Feb 29, 2012 at 3:21 am Reason: can't be arsed dealing with people on wacky missions.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't worry chief. If I was on a "wacky mission", I wouldn't be wasting my time on here.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:28 am

Don't worry chief. If I was on a "wacky mission", I wouldn't be wasting my time on here.
I'm not worried in the least, "chief".
(Plonk)
Old Feb 29, 2012, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I'm not worried in the least, "chief".
(Plonk)
Great.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:08 am

You don't encourage sensible driving by treating drivers like children.
Exactly. But I suppose the constant changing of speed limit along country roads is an example of what some of the popular press likes to call "the nanny state".
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: Mucci
Originally Posted by Christopher
Exactly. But I suppose the constant changing of speed limit along country roads is an example of what some of the popular press likes to call "the nanny state".
To some extent, and there are only two examples of this in the Blue Mountains, from Penrith to Lithgow, a distance of about 90km, the speed limit are: 110, 90, 70 (nanny state, local MP had an accident here, so lowered from 90 to 70), 80, 60, 80, 60, 80, 60 (roadworks), 70, 60 (roadworks), 80, 70 (nanny state, too many people not driving to the conditions), 60, 80, 60, 80, 60, 80, 60, 40 (roadworks), 60, 90, 80, 90, 70, 60. TOO many spped limit changes for such a length of highway.

The non-roadworks 60's are all in residential/shopping strips, so the high pedestrian level is the rationale for the lower speed limit, but the rest is just nanny state.

The only reason I can claim my good traffic record is that, as a past holder of a pilot's licence, I have developped a "scan" and I maintain good situational awareness, meaning I am always looking for signage and so on, but this won't help tourists or those new to an area with a sudden speed limit change.

Dave
Old Feb 29, 2012, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by thadocta
To some extent, and there are only two examples of this in the Blue Mountains, from Penrith to Lithgow, a distance of about 90km, the speed limit are: 110, 90, 70 (nanny state, local MP had an accident here, so lowered from 90 to 70), 80, 60, 80, 60, 80, 60 (roadworks), 70, 60 (roadworks), 80, 70 (nanny state, too many people not driving to the conditions), 60, 80, 60, 80, 60, 80, 60, 40 (roadworks), 60, 90, 80, 90, 70, 60. TOO many spped limit changes for such a length of highway.
Well, I wouldn't count roadworks, and neither would I count reduced speed limits for where the road goes through a built-up area (the fact that the main route from Sydney to the west of the state goes through the middle of suburban areas and along main shopping streets of towns is a separate point... further west still one has to drive through Bathurst and then the middle of Orange, which can have some bad traffic jams – in addition, this makes life more unpleasant for the people that live there, though to be fair an Orange by-pass is being built).

However, why do we have 70, 80, and 90? (I accept that 110 is different because, presumably, that's on the road that leads off the F4 past Penrith.) It's all too much, imho.

Last edited by Christopher; Feb 29, 2012 at 9:56 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.