Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific) > Oceania (Australia, New Zealand & the South Pacific)
Reload this Page >

Need assistance for booking luxury hotels in Queenstown, Christchurch, Sydney...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need assistance for booking luxury hotels in Queenstown, Christchurch, Sydney...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2012, 3:07 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I am travelling on my honeymoon to New Zealand (Queenstown, Christchurch), Bora Bora and Australia (Sydney & Gold Coast). I would the assistance of well traveled flyertalkers for suggesting luxury hotels in these places and if I could use any ongoing deals to make the trip more exciting.

Thanks.

I would be travelling in the beginning of Feb'13.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Blue, VS Red
Hi,

Stayed twice at The Rees in Queenstown in 2010 and 2011. Nice location by the lake, little bit quieter than town centre. The apartments/suites have the benefit of fully equipped kitchen and washer/drier which will come in handy on longer trips when you get tired of restaurants and hotel laundry prices.

In Christchurch (pre-earthquake), stayed at The George once and can certainly recommend it as a luxury hotel. Room wasn't on the large size but service was very good.

In Sydney stayed at both Four Seasons and Shangri La, which are both overlooking the harbour. Got a pretty good deal from SL on a "Grand Harbour View Room" with bridge and Opera House both in the picture. The lady to whom I am related by marriage also stayed in the Hyatt right underneath the bridge which was fine but views less good than the other two.

One tip for Queenstown: visit the Amisfield Vineyard by Lake Hayes. Even if you are not a wine lover, the bistro is outstanding as is the location, especially out on the terrace.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 12:29 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Sydney has some nice luxury hotels, but it will run $500-1000 per night. FS is probably the 10th best, while Shangri La (next door) is considerably better. Style of hotels varies tremendously, it all depends what you are looking for, but most people consider the Park Hyatt to be the best and the iconic Sydney experience. Personally I prefer the Langham because of its pool (one of the best indoor hotel pools in the world).

In NZ the best accomodation is in lodges and not hotels. The hotels are good but nowhere near as luxurious as the lodges. As for Queenstown, I prefer to stay in Arrowtown (charming small town a few km away, much quieter than ZQN); CHC hotel accomodation will be very hard to get (shortage of rooms and many are booked for months at a time by the workers rebuilding the city), don't expect too much. Good on you to visit CHC, it needs the tourism and to rebuild what was once a beautiful city.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 5:15 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
check out this Christchurch lodge

www.otahuna.co.nz

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.