Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uluru Ayers Rock - Do I need a Car?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Uluru Ayers Rock - Do I need a Car?

We have ~24 hours in Ayers Rock this coming August, ~ 10 AM to 10 AM. We're booked into one of the Voyages hotels, but don't have any activities planned as of yet. I strongly prefer not to drive when travelling, but am not sure if it will be required to pull of this destination in the amount of time available. We don't need to go crazy and do everything, although I think we'd like to do sunset viewing and maybe walk around the rock. Is it reasonable to accomplish this using cabs/hotel tours at a price not dramatically more than the ~200 AUD a rental car for one day appears to be?

Any suggestions would be appreciated on who to use, or where to get a better deal on a car. I've got Avis right now from the 14th-15th, Hertz was sold out.

Thanks,

Michael
Old Jul 19, 2010, 5:49 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
Given the time of day, it'll be easier if you just hire a car. From previous threads on similar topics here, I don't think taxis exist in Uluru.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 4:16 pm

Michael: Gosh, that seems awful high for a 24 hour car rental. Have you tried any other car rental company? I rented a car there for 24 hours (only used it for about 12 hours) and did not pay nearly that much. I think I rented from Thrifty Car Rentals.

If you go to www.ayersrock.com.au/experiences/ you can compare tours and costs. My family and I went to the Sounds of Silence Dinner and it was fantastic (worth the high price).

Remember it is going to be COLD in the early morning and after dark. Pack accordingly.

Uluru is one of my favorite places to visit in Australia. I have been there twice. Have fun.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. From further research, it appears that Voyages has a bus that meets flights at AYQ and takes you to their resorts. Has anyone used it, and how was it?

From the hotels, is there any reasonable way to make it to the rock without having a vehicle, or would I need to sign up for a tour?

I haven't checked car rental prices too extensively, although I understand the only options are Hertz, Avis, and Thrifty. The 200 includes my estimate of various rip-off fees and charges, so it could be a bit less.

Michael
Old Jul 21, 2010, 4:12 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
There is no way for you to get to the rock without a vehicle or joining a tour. Voyages run all the hotels there, and most of the hotels are physically together or very close to each other (except Longitude 131).

Uluru itself is inside a National Park, you need to pay a park fee (payable at entrance) to enter if you have your own vehicle.

No matter which way you do it (hire a car or join a tour), prices will be inflated due to the lack of competition there. So you may as well just choose the option that works best with your schedule.
Old Jul 21, 2010, 5:51 pm

I have taken the "shuttle bus" from the airport to the hotels. It is actually a coach (bus). It is fine. Stopped at all the hotels. (All hotels except Longitude 131 are along a circular road. You can walk from one to the other easily.)

I checked Thrifty car rentals for you and they, too, are sold out. Leumas is correct, everything there is expensive.

I apologize for giving the wrong web site for info. It is www.ayersrockresort.com.au/experiences/. They list all the tours offered at the resort and the costs. Hope this helps.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 8:55 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Given the fact that you only have 24 hours I would strongly advise to take a car. Time is at a premium so getting from A to B quickly and without a group will make a difference. Also groups don't get the best viewing areas. Especially at sunrise it pays not to go to the official viewing area as it doesn't actually show the morning sun on the rock during most months of the year as it is in the wrong place.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 9:16 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Given the fact that you only have 24 hours I would strongly advise to take a car. Time is at a premium so getting from A to B quickly and without a group will make a difference. Also groups don't get the best viewing areas. Especially at sunrise it pays not to go to the official viewing area as it doesn't actually show the morning sun on the rock during most months of the year as it is in the wrong place.

And make sure you line up around an hour in advance to park opening if you want to get in in time to see sunrise. This will vary depending on the time of the year, but gates were opening during sunrise when I was there. Thankgod I was second in line by getting in line at 5:30am. I hauled it around the whole rock and stopped when I wanted to take pics of the various sheens, but don't let it distract you too much. It's just a photo after all. pull off into an isolated patch and just sit and look....and the more you stand still the more you'll see!

If you join a tour, you're stuck wherever the tour goes and gonna have 40 other people in the background of your shots. I vote for renting a car and being able to break away from the pack.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice all!

I've decided to buck up, pay through the nose and drive on the left! Luckily the Sydney and Melbourne legs of my trip will be non-driving bits, as I really do prefer to not drive when on vacation.

Regards,

Michael
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I'm there the 10th-12th, and had the same "sold out" from Hertz. For Uluru regulars -- is that typical?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 6:48 pm

If you go to www.vroomvroomvroom.com.au and plug in the dates, airport, etc. the website will show what cars are available and rates. It does show that Hertz is sold out Aug. 10-12.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:31 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by CO FF
I'm there the 10th-12th, and had the same "sold out" from Hertz. For Uluru regulars -- is that typical?
Yes. Availability is limited at this tiny airport and it is peak season. And they can't just drive cars in from another nearby station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.