Search

Has Anyone Stayed at Longitude 131?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2010, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Has Anyone Stayed at Longitude 131?

My wife, who's never been to Australia, wants to go to AYQ and, even though this would be my third time, I'd like her to see it. The othe two times I stayed at Sails in the Desert and, like many here, found the hotel to be underwhelming and hopelessly overpriced.

I'm inclined to try Longitude 131 this time. It obviously is far more expensive than Sails, but, being all inclusive, I can rationalize the price premium (I estimate about AU$1400 over Sails, the Sounds of Silence Dinner, the rental car/gas, all other meals and the Anangu-led tour I would have us do).

That said, having been let down by Sails twice now, I am concerned that I'm going to have the same reaction to Longitude 131.

Has anyone actually stayed there? How does it compare to other luxury hotel experiences? How were the included tours? Did you get time to explore on your own, or were you hearded like cattle through the experience (other than the one Anangu-led tour, I've always rented a car and explored on my own)? How was the food (I was not impressed with the Sails or Sounds of Silence food, especially considering the pricing)?

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 4:05 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I stayed there about 18 months ago, and it was my first (and so far only) trip to Uluru, so I don't have any reference points to compare. You probably know that all resorts are owned by the same company there, and given the location, things will be over-priced.

The service I received was up there with the other luxury hotels I've tried, not that I've been to many. Because the resort is small (only about 15 tents, I think), you still get good personal service.

You get picked up at the airport (just like any other resorts), and upon arrival, you'll be immediately greeted by a staff member. Drinks orders are taken, check-in formalities are all done. The staff will explain the facilities and the tour options.

Organised tours are early in the morning and late afternoon, so you've most of the day to do whatever you want. I didn't feel the organised tours were rushed. Yes, you get 'herded' like cattle a bit, but it's not rushed. Plus, the guides are very knowledgable, so you learn a bit of the culture and history of the place too. There're a couple of optional tours (that you have to pay extra) as well.

Staff will gladly drive you to the main resort and back if you want a change of scenery.

Food wasn't bad, especially given the circumstance (in the middle of nowhere). The Sound of Silence dinner has the same food as the L131. So if you didn't like the SoS food, you may not like the L131 food. I wasn't impressed with the SoS experience either (very rushed). The more relaxed atomsphere in L131 will help despite the food being the same.

However, the main selling point is the view. Each tent has a direct view of Uluru, and waking up to the peace and quiet and a truly special view is something to remember. If you want to wake up to champagne and strawberries while in bed, staff will happily organise that too (all included in the price).
Old May 1, 2010, 12:31 am

Programs: QF Plat / OWE (Lifetime Gold), Aeroplan SE, HHonors Gold, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Avis Pres't Circle
I stayed there in 2008. I found it expensive and somewhat irritating. I was irritated because:

1. They did a sit down, three course lunch that took way too long each day. After a full breakfast, and facing a full dinner, I would have preferred salad or a sandwich! The kitchen seemed to be completely disorganised when we were there and took forever to get meals out.

2. The meal seating was communal, attempting to evoke a safari style atmosphere. While it didn't bother me too much, I think the honeymooners and those that prefer their privacy found it challenging.

3. Consistently with so many places in Australia, the service did not match the price. My countrymen are too often really hopeless at good service. It is either cold and indifferent, or cringeworthy. At Longitude 131 it was mostly the latter. Many of the staff tried hard, but they did not know or had not been trained in the provision of high end service.

That said, I agree wholeheartedly with Leumas about the view. The rooms are lovely and the view (and the grounds) are spectactular.

The thing that redeemed the holiday for me was +1 (and his Dad, a former helicopter pilot) and I took a helicopter flight out to Kings Canyon. That was absolutely fantastic and the highlight of the trip. I would say save your money, don't stay at Longtitude and spend it on helicopter flights!
Old May 1, 2010, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Exp|VA Platinum
My parents stayed there and didn't think it was worth the money at all.
Old May 6, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: US AA UA DL
Longitude 131

We have been to the Rock three times, once at Sails and twice at 131. The second stay at 131 was for three nights. We found the entire experience to be outstanding. You should request a "tent" in the front line for a better view. There are four "tents" in the front line. I am sorry to hear some of the negative comments about 131. When you are at Sails - you are just at another hotel. When you are at 131 you are right there looking at Ayers Rock. Also you should consider three nights to cover everything. If you plan it right you will have "dinner under the stars" twice. You will never forget that experience.
Old May 9, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: Worldperks & Skymiles
http://www.johnnyjet.com/folder/arch...052420062.html

There is a bit of info. Be it a few years old but still could be worth it

Last edited by kcmh; May 9, 2010 at 11:25 am Reason: I can't spell!!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: AMEX PLAT , HILTON GOLD, STARWOOD PREFERRED GUEST GOLD, IHG PLAT AMBASSADOR, DAVID O FAN CLUB
bump. anyone been here recently?
considering maybe trying to fit 2 nights in uluru as part of 19 nights in australia in january
any possibility of getting it cheaper than the rack rate of 2000aud a night ??!!!!
if i do do uluru i would probably do sails or could 131 really be worth all that extra ???!!
Old Jul 11, 2012, 7:42 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
We stayed a few years back on December. It was a nice stay, however our tent was invaded with large critters on evening. We thought the food was great, and normally I dislike community dining, but the group worked very well together.

Unfortunately it was overcast during our stay, so there was no WOW view nor WOW star gazing. I was really looking forward to the stars.
Old May 10, 2016, 6:04 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Just wondering if this place has upped its game recently from reports above?

They mention French champagne. Is it more the base champagnes?? Or can you BYO? I imagine the cellar list will be ridiculously overpriced.

Debating helicopter ride to lake Amadeus and mt Connor, maybe kings canyon.

The Harley motorcycle ride looks interesting. Is that a guide driving and one person in the back?

Definitely keen to cycle around the base, maybe in the opposite direction to walking.

Not fussed about the food. I enjoyed the sounds of silence dinner previously.
I'm after camels and astronomy. Anyone know how this compares to the prices charged if you weren't part of L131?? I noticed at their SOL property on KI prices were higher than what the general operator charged so, if that's the case at L131 then I'll aim to do the general tours when staying at emu or wherever we book.

I'm thinking we just do 2 nights there then 2 nights at either emu apt or sails in desert. I'm aware both are overpriced. I will see if they take one of the Accor plus certificates as that would be amazing value out of it and just pay for the other night and we can use breakfast certificate too for one day wonder if they do late checkout for Accor gold?

I've been twice and stayed back packers once, another place which was more motel like. But partner has never been and I would like him to see it! It's around his bday too so we should do something nice.

Flights are booked for October

Last edited by NZbutterfly; May 10, 2016 at 6:05 pm Reason: Date added
Old May 10, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
(Stream of consciousness warning... )

I was pleasantly surprised by Sails of the desert. At $450 a night it was somewhat overpriced, BUT the rooms seem to have been redone recently. We had a very large room with outdoor covered area and an additional sun deck. Again, surprisingly nice- I didnt feel totally screwed on the price.

Besides the over-priced-ness of 131, we wanted to avoid being herded around like sheeple. In speaking with them and looking at their offerings, it felt overpriced and narrow (it was not clear how much of the tours at 131 were private (ie only 131 guests) and which you would join other tour groups.) You can book the same camel tours directly.

Also, we had a rental car to do do some driving, and to head to Kings Canyon and the back way to Alice- BUT...you cannot park at 131. They require you to leave the car somewhere else and you can take the 131 shuttle to the car. Screw that! (That was when I actually cancelled my 131 booking.) Having a car frees you from having to shuffle on and off of ATKings buses with everyone else- for us it was an essential part of creating an experience that felt less 'crowded'. I know it may sound weird, but even if you are hiking with a pack of 50 people up ahead, when you get to the parking lot you get to your own car and do your own thing. A snack, drinks, swing by the Walpa Gorge walk before heading to blah blah. Having transport to sit and decompress with your partner and not sit on a bus with 50 yammering __________tourists was priceless. (Ive tactfully left that blank.... It was utterly shocking how much blabbering people do while sightseeing. At kings canyon, pre-dawn, we came upon 3 tatted& pierced gals with a cell phone that was playing electric dance music out loud from its unbelievably tinny speaker for them to 'enjoy'. I want to push them over. But i digress. )

So we created our own tours- sunset viewing (in the car park not the tour bus viewing area); a before dawn start to hike Kata Tjuta, valley of the winds loop before it got too hot (131 said they didnt offer that as an organized tour, but they might be able to have us join a bus to get out there); the next day a dawn helicopter flight over Uluru and Kata Tjuta- Truly amazing. Walking it, biking it, then taking it all in from the air was quite interesting. After the dawn helicopter we rented bikes at Uluru and biked it. Perfect way to cover distance AND give you the freedom to look and explore at will.

And with the $3000 you save on 131, you can do a lot of helicoptering!

The Harley ride is they drive, one person passengers. Not happening here.

Finally, Sails included breakfast. Lunches were odd as we were usually out right through until 1-2 when it got super hot. So lunch was a quick snack or salad, in the mid afternoon. Having to get back for a sit down lunch would have been constraining.

IMO- The dinner at Sounds of Silence was pretty average to fair. Edible, but really just institutional. I would not do it again- just do a stargazing hike with a guide that you can book at the visitor center and a MUCH better meal at any of the restaurants in town. (Plus sitting around with strangers discussing their respective cruising experiences and shopping plans for their vacation was excruciating.)

HTH

PS Assume you have reviewed some of the more recent Trip Advisor reviews? Purportedly Bailies have done a much better job recently. They are supposed to be upgrading the pool there and adding decks on the front of each tent- they wouldnt give me a straight answer on those upgrades.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
(Stream of consciousness warning... )

I was pleasantly surprised by Sails of the desert. At $450 a night it was somewhat overpriced, BUT the rooms seem to have been redone recently. We had a very large room with outdoor covered area and an additional sun deck. Again, surprisingly nice- I didnt feel totally screwed on the price.

Besides the over-priced-ness of 131, we wanted to avoid being herded around like sheeple. In speaking with them and looking at their offerings, it felt overpriced and narrow (it was not clear how much of the tours at 131 were private (ie only 131 guests) and which you would join other tour groups.) You can book the same camel tours directly.

Also, we had a rental car to do do some driving, and to head to Kings Canyon and the back way to Alice- BUT...you cannot park at 131. They require you to leave the car somewhere else and you can take the 131 shuttle to the car. Screw that! (That was when I actually cancelled my 131 booking.) Having a car frees you from having to shuffle on and off of ATKings buses with everyone else- for us it was an essential part of creating an experience that felt less 'crowded'. I know it may sound weird, but even if you are hiking with a pack of 50 people up ahead, when you get to the parking lot you get to your own car and do your own thing. A snack, drinks, swing by the Walpa Gorge walk before heading to blah blah. Having transport to sit and decompress with your partner and not sit on a bus with 50 yammering __________tourists was priceless. (Ive tactfully left that blank.... It was utterly shocking how much blabbering people do while sightseeing. At kings canyon, pre-dawn, we came upon 3 tatted& pierced gals with a cell phone that was playing electric dance music out loud from its unbelievably tinny speaker for them to 'enjoy'. I want to push them over. But i digress. )

So we created our own tours- sunset viewing (in the car park not the tour bus viewing area); a before dawn start to hike Kata Tjuta, valley of the winds loop before it got too hot (131 said they didnt offer that as an organized tour, but they might be able to have us join a bus to get out there); the next day a dawn helicopter flight over Uluru and Kata Tjuta- Truly amazing. Walking it, biking it, then taking it all in from the air was quite interesting. After the dawn helicopter we rented bikes at Uluru and biked it. Perfect way to cover distance AND give you the freedom to look and explore at will.

And with the $3000 you save on 131, you can do a lot of helicoptering!

The Harley ride is they drive, one person passengers. Not happening here.

Finally, Sails included breakfast. Lunches were odd as we were usually out right through until 1-2 when it got super hot. So lunch was a quick snack or salad, in the mid afternoon. Having to get back for a sit down lunch would have been constraining.

IMO- The dinner at Sounds of Silence was pretty average to fair. Edible, but really just institutional. I would not do it again- just do a stargazing hike with a guide that you can book at the visitor center and a MUCH better meal at any of the restaurants in town. (Plus sitting around with strangers discussing their respective cruising experiences and shopping plans for their vacation was excruciating.)

HTH

PS Assume you have reviewed some of the more recent Trip Advisor reviews? Purportedly Bailies have done a much better job recently. They are supposed to be upgrading the pool there and adding decks on the front of each tent- they wouldnt give me a straight answer on those upgrades.
Thanks for that.

I signed up with Accor plus this year as I seem to be staying with them quite a bit. I didn't realise the properties at Uluru were A+ Previously but have managed to book the free night (well I paid for the membership but it was still cheaper than 1 night at sails!) at Sails along with 10% off the next night. We have a free breakfast certificate for one morning and will use the 50% dining discount for other meals out there so I feel like we are doing well on the savings front.

Longitude 131 quoted 10% off due to a previous stay at another property of theirs. I think we will pay by direct deposit to avoid the 2.5% cc surcharge (saves 121). I've adjusted a few expectations accordingly after browsing TripAdvisor. Didn't even realise they had a pool but not fussed. The deck would be nice. I'm anticipating some great couple moments still

Just need to research the timing of tours and what is better done with L131 and what is better done on our own from Sails. Best of both worlds I reckon although I still think 131 is a rip! I'm not going to let my time be dictated by them though. If I think we are better off on a different tour we will do that as I expect this should be the last time back!

I'll forget the Harley ride. Uncle has one and I spoke to someone 2 days ago asking what the buzz was.....I wasn't captured so.... Will flag it. I'm a scooter girl!!
Old May 15, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
So sails first then 131?
Old May 15, 2016, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
So sails first then 131?
Yep! 2 nights in each with Sails first. It's a long weekend in NZ but taking a couple of extra days

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.