Wiki Posts
Search

Advice - Delayed Luggage Claim

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Marriott Silver
Advice - Delayed Luggage Claim

My parents travelled to FCO on KLM and Alitalia however the ticket was booked via NW. Luggage was 6 days late (on a 9 day trip) over the Christmas season getting to them in Rome. They incurred a number of costs as a result. Any suggestions on whether this claim should be logged with NW or Alitalia?

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 7:52 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I would say Alitalia, because they are the operating carrier and therefore the ones responsible for the bags. All NW did was sell you the ticket.

Good luck!

(PS: You might wanna look into the EU regulations regarding delayed luggage; you may need to invoke that to get compensation.)
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:41 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
I thought it was who you have the CofC with. The metal can be anyone, I thought it was the seller that had to take responsiblity. So if the ticket starts with 012, I figure you'd have to deal with NW.

Steve B.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 8:49 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Years ago, I flew to MXP on a combination of carriers. They lost my luggage for 3 days - and found it on my last day in Milan on my way to Berlin. I picked it up at the airport as I was leaving town. I was told that the last airline on the itinerary to handle the bags(s) was ultimately responsible for it. In my case it was AZ. I spent about $300 on new clothes - for a 10 day trip, not knowing if they'd ever find my bag. I tried fiercely to get a hold of AZ at their NYC office, I think, to discuss this matter and never got ANY response. GOOD LUCK!!!
The only good thing that happened was that the extra $300 I spent on clothes, put me over on my customs allowance. I explained to the customs officer that I had to buy extra clothes due to lost luggage and they let me go without paying extra taxes.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:29 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by davetravels
I was told that the last airline on the itinerary to handle the bags(s) was ultimately responsible for it.
I've heard this as well. Even if you fly several airlines, the sole responsibility falls on the last airline to handle the luggage.

That being said AZ is notorious for both lost luggage and the inability to actually talk to them (about anything). Some people on this forum have posted issues getting their SkyTeam Elite or Elite+ status honored... good luck trying to talk to AZ about it... No woder it loses 1 million euros/day.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:30 am

They may be able to get a claim under the Montreal Convention of 1999... if Italy was a signatory of that agreement. However, even if that was the case, they'll need a written documentation of the luggage being lost, and they'll need to file a claim in writing, usually with in 21 days.

It's a big hassle with a lot of hoops to jump through.

On big trips I take out a $12 per person policy for delay and loss you can get a $500 benefit for luggage delay of 6 hours or more. $2K for baggage loss. (Amex Global Travel Shield).
Old Jan 21, 2008, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC*E, Marriott Silver
Thanks - will proceed down the path with Alitalia and post results (if any).

Cheers.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 7:35 am

Programs: NW GOLD, Worldclubs, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by florin
I've heard this as well. Even if you fly several airlines, the sole responsibility falls on the last airline to handle the luggage.

That being said AZ is notorious for both lost luggage and the inability to actually talk to them (about anything). Some people on this forum have posted issues getting their SkyTeam Elite or Elite+ status honored... good luck trying to talk to AZ about it... No woder it loses 1 million euros/day.
That is correct, it is the airline you are on for the last leg of the trip when you arrive at your final destination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.