Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Northwest/KLM RTW Fares

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2001, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Northwest/KLM RTW Fares

I see in the latest BT magazine that
Northwest/KLM has a Around the World Apex
Fare" which includes partners Cathay and
Emirates in particular. I hear service on
the later two is great and am curious to
possibly fly. Can anyone provide information
on this program and/or suggest a thread? I
called NW and their Intl. res. line had no
information. I was sent to the vacation desk.
Please advise.
Old May 13, 2001, 12:21 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum85/HTML/000187.html
Old May 14, 2001, 8:10 am

I am planing to take an RTW ticket this fall. the NWA RTW Desk is very, very helpful and friendly. I don't have the RTW Desk number, but I find the best way to reach them is to call the international #800-447-4747 and ask for the "RTW" Desk.

The base fare (which is new) requires that you fly less than 25,000 (actual) air miles. Must travel in one direction only. No Min or Max stay. Min of 3 stopovers, Max of 10. 25,000 miles maximum. 2 free stopovers in Europe, additional stopovers are $100.00. No charge for date changes. Add or Deletes $150.00 per change charge plus taxes. Coach: $2,679 + tax. Business $4,860 + tax.

I just have to decide if I am going EAST or WEST!
Old May 14, 2001, 9:19 am

if you want to include Cathay on a Northwest RTW ticket, you may want to hurry... the program rules are changing at the end of the month. The new program (starting June 1) will have Malaysia Airlines as the Asian partner, no more Cathay. It looks like the new program has mostly WorldPerks-miles earning partners though.

Old May 15, 2001, 7:44 am

I spoke to Northwest yesterday about the new fare. It is very exciting to me because my wife and I are planning a trip to Africa this Summer. Continental, Alaska, and Horizon, join the program. Kenya, Emirates, and South Africa stay in the program for travel in Africa. Copa is added for travel to Central and South America. Malaysia Airlines takes the place of Cathay Pacific as the Asian carrier and a South Pacific carrier Air Pacific is added. Cathay Pacific did not allow travel to China on old fare. Malaysia allows the route of KUL to PEK and travel through China is much easier and cheaper.

You can use most of Continentals code share partners from the Newark hub and KLMs partners in Europe. South Africas code share with Qantas between JNB and SYD is also allowed. Saw some very useful information about this fare at http://www.airtimetable.com/rtwframes.htm see NW/KLM link. Price is a little higher but this program provides much more value than old one.
Old May 19, 2001, 10:36 pm

Here are RTW fares originating in Kuala Lumpur as of Mid March:

Business class + taxes:

MH/NW US$ 2597. 3 stopovers, 7 days min-one year max. Limited to 23,000 miles max. This fare could survive NW's departure from KUL as one could take MH from LAX to KUL instead of NW to KIX and then KIX/KUL.

NW/KL US$ 2675. 2 stopovers, 7 days min-one year max. Limited to 23,000 miles max. This is called "North Pacific" routing and does not include Africa or Australia/New Zealand.

NW/KL/CX/EK/SA/KQ/AZ US$ 3343. 2 stopovers min, 7 days min-one year max. 32,000 miles max. This is called "South Pacific" routing and includes Africa and Australia/New Zealand. The lack of MH in the mix makes a KUL/JNB leg a very, very long trip. CX is via HKG and EK is via Dubai.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:15 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, UA LT Ag, Marriott LT Ti, Hyatt Glob, Avis PC, Busted-Knuckles Club Grand Poobah.
is there such a thing as a RTW award ticket on NW/KL/etc?
Old Jul 12, 2001, 7:25 pm

RTW in Business class for less than $5k.... something that is well worth planning. Any input on possible routings and planning tips would be appreciated by me and many others.
Old Jul 12, 2001, 7:36 pm

I'm not 100% positive on this, but I believe AZ (Alitalia) is out of the new (i.e. current) Round-The-World program. I vaguely remember the RTW desk mentioning this to me last time I talked to them a couple weeks ago.

My RTW trip, starting in BKK, cost between $3,600 & $3,800 business class, has 20 segments, and includes Australia.

A RTW Award ticket? I think NW/KLM used to offer something like this in years past (a number like 180,000 miles Coach class comes to mind). Maybe this would be something to mention during the WorldPerks Elite talk with Russ.

[This message has been edited by DJMeatBall (edited 07-12-2001).]
Old Jul 16, 2001, 3:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
These RTW fares are much cheaper in Europe, and in Economy start at £1099 if I have my facts correct. Haven't updated myself on these RTW fares in a while.

------------------
Continental Airlines
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
NorthwestAirlines
Old Jul 16, 2001, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
CX participation in the RTW fare is supposed to have been terminated at the end of May.
Old Jul 16, 2001, 8:34 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
Think about starting in Canada. RTW fares there are thousands less than in the US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.