Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

do I gotta carry coins from 5 countries to use the toilets in SE, NO, DK, IS and FI?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

do I gotta carry coins from 5 countries to use the toilets in SE, NO, DK, IS and FI?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 2:53 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Many (not all!) Iceland pay toilets are "honor boxes" and we asked if they would accept USD $1 instead of 100 ISK and were always told that was fine ($1 > 100ISK by a bit)
Old May 30, 2017, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Many (not all!) Iceland pay toilets are "honor boxes" and we asked if they would accept USD $1 instead of 100 ISK and were always told that was fine ($1 > 100ISK by a bit)
I can't even get my local Walmart to accept $1 coins.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:52 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I presume you mean $1 bills rather than coins, but how many $1 bills are you bringing to Iceland anyway?

I'm told that Arion Bank (with a 24-hour branch at KEF) will happily exchange any ISK notes and coins between denominations without charge, so it should not be a problem to obtain some.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:14 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
I meant bills, and I have my wallet with me when I travel and I made sure there were a few $1 bills (and larger bills, too) for this purpose and for tipping tour guides, who are happy to be tipped in USD, GBP, and EUR. As opposed to not getting tipped "because I have no cash".

I doubt any bank is changing currencies without taking their piece of the action. Maybe 'no fees', but not a friendly exchange rate.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:22 am
Original Poster

I meant bills, and I have my wallet with me when I travel and I made sure there were a few $1 bills (and larger bills, too) for this purpose and for tipping tour guides, who are happy to be tipped in USD, GBP, and EUR. As opposed to not getting tipped "because I have no cash".

I doubt any bank is changing currencies without taking their piece of the action. Maybe 'no fees', but not a friendly exchange rate.
do they accept euro coins as payment for paid toilets in Nordic countries?
Old May 31, 2017, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by WalterSFO
Almost never, at least not by intentional design. except in Finland.

The Nordic countries are increasingly hostile even to their own coins -- and sometimes even to their own currency notes -- so don't expect them to be so warm toward foreign coins.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Almost never, at least not by intentional design. except in Finland.

The Nordic countries are increasingly hostile even to their own coins -- and sometimes even to their own currency notes -- so don't expect them to be so warm toward foreign coins.
how do they become hostile towards their own coins and notes? do they thrown them at visiting tourists? if so, where do I wait to catch the money?

I have not used coins or paper money here in the US for almost a whole year. Not since I got my Galaxy S7 and started using Samsung Pay for everything... (even to get sodas from vending machines) I actually angered a mugger in NYC(two blocks from Times Square) last fall when I opened my empty wallet... the only thing of value was my Galaxy S7, but he refused to accept it because he said "I don't want no stinking Android phone... you got an iPhone in your backpack or something?" Love NY... they have better class of muggers... in the end, he took my watch, which was only worth about $200 new.
Old May 31, 2017, 1:53 pm

I went to Iceland, Finland, and Sweden two years ago and the only time I paid to use the toilet was in Iceland at Þingvellir, which is a national park. Usually I would just go to a restaurant or a coffee shop such as Starbucks (none in Iceland though) for free toilet access. I kept a small amount of currency by buying something cheap in each country and paying with a $10 or $20 USD bill and keeping the change as emergency. Everything else was paid by a credit card.
Old May 31, 2017, 4:04 pm
Suspended

how do they become hostile towards their own coins and notes? do they thrown them at visiting tourists? if so, where do I wait to catch the money?
By refusing to accept coins and/or even cash for payment of goods and services. Seen this sometimes even at McDonald's and some coffee shops.

By phasing out the use of pre-existing currency notes/coins and making them worthless unless playing the government/central bank's game. Seen this in recent years in Sweden with this being done by way of various notes and coins being demonetized for nearly all transactions.
Old May 31, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

By refusing to accept coins and/or even cash for payment of goods and services. Seen this sometimes even at McDonald's and some coffee shops.

By phasing out the use of pre-existing currency notes/coins and making them worthless unless playing the government/central bank's game. Seen this in recent years in Sweden with this being done by way of various notes and coins being demonetized for nearly all transactions.
even at paid toilets?

I'm about 5 hours away from landing in Sweden.
Old May 31, 2017, 11:11 pm
Suspended

even at paid toilets?

I'm about 5 hours away from landing in Sweden.
Some of the coins issued by Sweden that used to work at toilets and for things like borrowing grocery store carts no longer work like they used to work. The large 5 SEK coin, for example, no longer works at many places today like it worked say even a month ago or last year.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:02 am

The exchange rate for ISK to ISK is 1.

Yes, from today, new restrictions on redeeming demonetized Swedish banknotes have gone into effect.

http://www.riksbank.se/en/Notes--coi...lid-banknotes/

The Riksbank will no longer pay for expired notes when they feel that the redeemer has obtained them with the intention of making a profit.

Fortunately, I got rid of all my old Swedish notes in April, so they have become someone else's problem, but I'm having to make a special trip to Sweden before the end of June in order to spend all my expiring coins and 100kr notes - and I don't know how successful this will be with merchants becoming anti-cash.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 7:19 am

I've never tried this

Originally Posted by :D!
The exchange rate for ISK to ISK is 1.
I'm not sure how this is a reply to my post.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Some of the coins issued by Sweden that used to work at toilets and for things like borrowing grocery store carts no longer work like they used to work. The large 5 SEK coin, for example, no longer works at many places today like it worked say even a month ago or last year.
on the ground now... a public paid toilet just accepted my USD $5 bill.... I asked the lady if it was okay because I just got off my flight hours ago and didn't have any Swedish coins just yet. She smiled and said "no problem" which I thought was pretty cool!
Old Jun 1, 2017, 5:34 pm

on the ground now... a public paid toilet just accepted my USD $5 bill.... I asked the lady if it was okay because I just got off my flight hours ago and didn't have any Swedish coins just yet. She smiled and said "no problem" which I thought was pretty cool!
Did you get change??? I'd also be pretty happy if you paid me $43 for something that costs $10...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.