Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Northern Lights - best location?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Northern Lights - best location?

Thinking a bit ahead of time, but I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights, and as that age approaches where kids will be in the picture sooner rather than later, next winter may be my last shot to see it in a while. Does anyone have a recommendation of where to see it? I know Iceland is popular, but I also am not averse to traveling very far north in Norway or Sweden to see them. Being a UA / *A flyer, the Scandinavian countries are more beneficial when thinking about earning miles/status while traveling.

Thanks!
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AY Gold, QR Plat
Do not forget Finland.

See www.leukuimages.com and fast find with aurora borealis,
You'll see plenty of pics taken at different parts of Finland. The
places are mentioned in the text.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
We were lucky enough to see a terrific display of the lights around Tromsø - we visited early Jan
Old Mar 19, 2017, 8:46 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I grew up in New England and remember being able to see them once in awhile. If you want to increase your chances, then Alaska or Canada for NA. Iceland, the Scandinavian countries, and Finland are also good for Europe.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights...Does anyone have a recommendation of where to see it?
Wow air flies to Reykjavik/Keflavik from Newark. Once there you'll have good chances (being close to the Arctic circle, around latitude 64) to see the lights, whereas in the large capital cities of Scandinavia or Finland you'll be at a lower latitude, necessitating further travel up north from those big cities for optimal viewing. Iceland would be easier, simpler, and less expensive, but if you'd enjoy travel through the other countries up to the northlands, then that is your other option.
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by muji
Wow air flies to Reykjavik/Keflavik from Newark. Once there you'll have good chances (being close to the Arctic circle, around latitude 64) to see the lights, whereas in the large capital cities of Scandinavia or Finland you'll be at a lower latitude, necessitating further travel up north from those big cities for optimal viewing. Iceland would be easier, simpler, and less expensive, but if you'd enjoy travel through the other countries up to the northlands, then that is your other option.
I don't mind traveling north...that said, I did go to Tromso in the summertime (nothing like 24 hours of overcast cloudiness...), and given what I experienced in town, I would rather go somewhere else (e.g. Alta) in northern Norway, or possibly Iceland. I don't really have as much knowledge around what is up north in Sweden or Finland, but I could be convinced (Sweden probably moreso, just as I can fly NYC-ARN direct on SK/*A).

I know Iceland is popular, so would be curious what folks think of going to Reykjavik - I imagine that there is probably more (relatively) speaking to do in town than there would be in any of these remote areas on mainland Europe. Outside of the Northern Lights, it would be nice to be able to get out and do some other things
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:39 pm

...going to Reykjavik ... Outside of the Northern Lights, it would be nice to be able to get out and do some other things
Take a look at this thread for ideas, such as going to Gullfoss and Geysir.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/nordi...at-see-do.html
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:28 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
I don't mind traveling north...that said, I did go to Tromso in the summertime (nothing like 24 hours of overcast cloudiness...), and given what I experienced in town, I would rather go somewhere else (e.g. Alta) in northern Norway, or possibly Iceland.
Tromsø is considered a bustling metropolis in Northern Norway, the Paris of the North is the traditional nickname. It must be said that they know how to party.

Alta is not very interesting. Basically down town looks as a collection of badly designed US malls. If you go to Finnmark, go to Hammerfest or Kirkenes instead. Smaller but with some character and sense of place.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:44 am

I'm thisclose to booking a trip on Wow or Icelandair to KEF for 7-10 days in October/November in the hope of seeing the Northern Lights as well.

I know it depends on the weather and cloud cover so this webapp is great to try and find clear skies while in Iceland: http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/cloudcover/

That being said, I'd really love to leave the capital to drive through the southern part of the country from west to east and back but it seems overwhelming to do/plan on own our without a guide.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 5:21 am

You are into Icelandic winter .... not just snow and black ice, but strong winds. Might be worth exploring with a guide on a 2 or 3 day trip. Trip Advisor has suggestions. Stay safe and enjoy yourself, but do be aware that the Northern Lights cannot be guaranteed!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I've traveled to Iceland, Churchill, Canada and Fairbanks to see the aurora. Only saw them in Fairbanks. One glorious night out of five or six nights there. Weather is a major factor in success. Sun activity is cyclic and is declining now. I think it peaked a couple of years ago. (Google says it peaked in 2014). So, auroras will be fewer until they practically diminish until the next solar activity begins to peak. If the 11 year cycle holds that would mean 2025.

This may be helpful http://www.gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast
http://gi.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast/travelers-guide
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:18 am

My friend told me that the Northern Lights had the most intense "show" during the 2016/2017 winter season but I don't know where she got that info.

There are lots to see in Iceland too so even if I can't see the lights, it'll be worth the trip.
Old May 4, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
I'm looking at doing a 5 day trip, Bergen to Kirkenes, on the Hurtigruten line in November to see if I can see the northern lights. I'm going in November as it's a special occasion, although I have another special occasion in early December. Which of those two months would give me a better chance of clearer skies to see the lights?
Old May 8, 2017, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
Originally Posted by dddc
I'm looking at doing a 5 day trip, Bergen to Kirkenes, on the Hurtigruten line in November to see if I can see the northern lights. I'm going in November as it's a special occasion, although I have another special occasion in early December. Which of those two months would give me a better chance of clearer skies to see the lights?
We are doing the full round trip next March (Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen).

After doing as much research as seemed reasonable, it looked like March was the "best" in terms of length of night and also least chance of cloud cover.
But the weather isn't guaranteed, nor is the solar activity just then.

We had also heard that the solar cycle had just peaked, which is one reason we changed our plans for next year. It seems that the solar activity, on average, will become less and less for the next few years before the cycle becomes more active again.

In November/December, you'll have more night time, so that's an advantage.

Good luck.
(Have you checked the Hurtigruten sub-forum on CruiseCritic.com?)
Old May 15, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Thanks GeezerCouple. I'm a novice when it comes to cruising and while having seen the site, I didn't realise there were sub-forums like here!

I took the plunge and booked thanks to a bit of shrewd researching where a 20% discount offer was available on their local .no site, but not the others. Saved me a bundle! Going in late October though as it seems a balance between definitely seeing some sights the day and a chance of seeing the lights at night - subject to rain and cloud cover of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.