Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Was anyone else disappointed in Iceland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was anyone else disappointed in Iceland?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 5:59 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
It would be cheaper that way, but it's really quite easy to buy gas at attended stations in Iceland. We've done it a dozen or more times (so far), and just keep a prepaid N1 gas card on hand in case we need gas when we can't find a manned station.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 6:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Of course the "sights" are far away, the sights are mountains, glaciers and waterfalls - the tourism department can't exactly put them where ever they please.
In other news, Iceland should be renamed as Greenland while Greenland should be renamed as Iceland.

I'm not sure what people are expecting from Iceland when planning a trip to Iceland, yet I can see why some people get disappointed and why that disappointment is more easily avoided by some than by others.

No one here hopped a flight from Iceland to the nation within Denmark that speaks Faroese?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 4:54 pm

Hope we won't be disappointed, we'll be there in a few days - and will use the ATM card when in need of a chip+pin card.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by xyz99
Hope we won't be disappointed, we'll be there in a few days - and will use the ATM card when in need of a chip+pin card.
Depends on where you are from (as in your ATM card). The issue isn't credit cards, per se, but that US-based cards don't have pins (some of them do, but they always try signature first, which doesn't work).

Anyway, just prepare for expensive food, dreary weather, go out into the wild and do some hikes and it'll be wonderful!
Old Jul 3, 2016, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I went to Iceland in January this year,had booked several trips,but the weather was awful,and they were all cancelled,but i spent a lot of time walking round the capital,looking at the scenery in the harbour,shopping,having coffee's and mingling with the locals,I had a great time,I must have walked miles!! even though it was very cold and snowing,plenty to do,some great bars,even an English pub! with great food.Loved it.^

harbour3 by Dave McDermott, on Flickr
Old Jul 5, 2016, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by liamvad
I went to Iceland in January this year
Not the best of timings - in Iceland the sun is above the horizon for 4 hrs a day in January
Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Not the best of timings - in Iceland the sun is above the horizon for 4 hrs a day in January
Still had a great time though,and it was warmer than Helsinki when I went there,now that was COLD!!!...even found a pint of London Pride in the Pickwick pub opposite the station in HEL.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
You know how the saying goes: at -35°C Finns start to pack away their barbecque equipment
Attached Images  
Old Jul 6, 2016, 12:12 pm

Yeah,plenty of food in the main square,but too cold to eat it!!!You are a hardy lot I must say.^Looks warm,but it was bloody cold I can tell you!!

Senate Square. by Dave McDermott, on Flickr
Old Jul 6, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I took the half-day tour of Reykjavik, and afterwards, I realized that I could have walked to most of those places on my own.

But I took a 12-hour tour along the South Coast to the glacial lagoon, and I loved it, especially with our guide's narration.

Since Icelandair flies nonstop to KEF out of MSP, I plan to schedule another Iceland stopover on the way back the next time I go to Europe.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:58 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Reykjavik is a cute city but there are cute cities everywhere. We skipped Reyk entirely on our last trip and won't be there at all next month, either.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In other news, Iceland should be renamed as Greenland while Greenland should be renamed as Iceland.

I'm not sure what people are expecting from Iceland when planning a trip to Iceland, yet I can see why some people get disappointed and why that disappointment is more easily avoided by some than by others.

No one here hopped a flight from Iceland to the nation within Denmark that speaks Faroese?
We have booked a stop in the Faroes after 10 day stay in Iceland next July/August. Airfares are all booked. Travelling with 2 good friends so should be an awesome trip! 3 days in the Faroes and already have a killer Airbnb booked there in the capital! We are into nature, hiking and Gin and Tonics (bringing the gin with us)........
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Depends on where you are from (as in your ATM card). The issue isn't credit cards, per se, but that US-based cards don't have pins (some of them do, but they always try signature first, which doesn't work).

Anyway, just prepare for expensive food, dreary weather, go out into the wild and do some hikes and it'll be wonderful!
We had a great time and wonderful, sunny weather for 17 days in a row except one. Food was expensive, but not more than at home, people friendly, scenery amazing and we want to go back. Maybe in a different season, to experience different things.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 5:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Isn't this a bit like saying you spent a day in Baltimore and thought the whole of the US sucked?
Old Jan 2, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, have done it. One of the most awesome destinations I've ever experienced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.