Wiki Posts
Search

Iceland - Prepaid data Micro-Sim Card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Iceland - Prepaid data Micro-Sim Card

I have an unlocked iPhone 4S.

I use Sprint (CDMA) at home and use Tele2 (GSM) in Sweden, and DoCoMo (GSM) in Japan.

Looking for a cheap prepaid micro-SIM for a week in Iceland, hopefully something I can pick up at KEF. I don't necessarily need phone, but the 3G is crucial.

In Japan I use www.econnectjapan.com to get a data-only prepaid chip and their service is fantastic. It's kinda pricey (~$60) and it's data only (no phone coverage) but the data speeds are incredible, you get 1GB or 30 days of data whichever ends first, and you can discard the SIM you don't need to return it.

Hoping for something similar in Iceland.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: UA, NW
When I traveled in Scandinavia on a trip that included a four-day stopover in Iceland, I didn't bother using the data function on my phone and just made sure that I booked hotels with free wi-fi, which are pretty easy to find.

I didn't really need to consult the phone while I was out and around. It was a vacation. Checking my e-mail once in the morning and once in the evening was enough. For getting around, there were plenty of paper maps.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by w0r1dtrave1er
I have an unlocked iPhone 4S.

I use Sprint (CDMA) at home and use Tele2 (GSM) in Sweden, and DoCoMo (GSM) in Japan.

Looking for a cheap prepaid micro-SIM for a week in Iceland, hopefully something I can pick up at KEF. I don't necessarily need phone, but the 3G is crucial.

In Japan I use www.econnectjapan.com to get a data-only prepaid chip and their service is fantastic. It's kinda pricey (~$60) and it's data only (no phone coverage) but the data speeds are incredible, you get 1GB or 30 days of data whichever ends first, and you can discard the SIM you don't need to return it.

Hoping for something similar in Iceland.
Japan sucks for this. The situation is more like Sweden where you can get a normal prepaid SIM with phone minutes and data. https://thjonustuvefur.siminn.is/Mit...aupa?locale=en

Looks like you can buy data packages.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat
If I remember correctly, there is a duty free shop before you go through customs where you can buy prepaid SIMs. It was 2011 so I don't remember seeing mini SIMS. I found it to be very useful especially when visiting small towns where you want to make sure the hostel is still open if you're running late.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:01 pm

Does anyone have current info about prepaid SIM cards in Iceland?

I will be in the country for 3 or 4 days. Just looking for something that will provide me with data.

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2017, 7:25 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
They sell them on the plane and all over the airport
Old Apr 27, 2017, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by WalterSFO
Does anyone have current info about prepaid SIM cards in Iceland?

I will be in the country for 3 or 4 days. Just looking for something that will provide me with data.

Thanks!
They sell them in the duty free shop right by the baggage carousel. If I recall correctly, I bought 1 gb of data (plus talk, but I forgot how much) for about $30 USD.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
Has anyone tried the portable wifi that some car rentals offer? I'll be driving and was wondering if it's worth it.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 12:11 am

Originally Posted by mlbcard
Has anyone tried the portable wifi that some car rentals offer? I'll be driving and was wondering if it's worth it.
Just curious, but why not just buy a prepaid SIM card with data? It would seem to be a lot more convenient, be untethered to your car's wifi and all.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:00 am

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton and regular member of everything else
It doesn't add too much to the cost of the car and it can be used with multiple devices.

Last edited by mlbcard; Apr 28, 2017 at 5:55 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by mlbcard
It doesn't add too much to the cost of the car and it can be used with multiple devices.
Ah, I see. And I just Googled "KEF car rental wifi" and Dollar rental has portable wifi, so you can use it outside the vehicle. $10 USD/day for unlimited wifi vs. $30 USD/1 gb. I guess it depends on how many devices you need to have connected and for how long you plan on needing it/them connected. And on the rental company too (I rented from SIXT and I couldn't find any information regarding wifi with them and Dollar is slightly more expensive than SIXT).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.