Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Baltic Region 2014 - 10ish days advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Baltic Region 2014 - 10ish days advice needed

OK, planning on a Summer 2014 trip to the Nordic Region, and by Nordic Region, I really mean anywhere - Sweden, Finland, Norway!

We have about 2 weeks and are planning on the first 4 days or so to do London. From there we'd like to fly northeast to that region. We really only want to plan a day or two in the city and spend the rest hiking in the mountains. Ideally it would be a hut to hut thing were we could get some food and shelter.

I'm a little embarrassed to say I know nothing about that area so I don't even know where to start. I've seen enough pictures that look like big snowy mountains and huge lakes. That's where we want to go LOL!

If anyone can give us an idea or two that would be great, thanks in advance!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:48 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Mountains: Norway, big lakes: Sweden, many lakes: Finland.

The hut-to-hut trekking in the mountains is Norway. This is very popular and very common here. Some huts serve sood, some are self service (honor bar system for tinned/ dried food). Check Den norske turistforening.. It sounds as if that will fit your wishes very well. With just ten days in Scandinavia (Norway is not a Baltic country), I would stay in Norway for the entire ten days to get the full trekking experience,
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:27 pm

Programs: Eurobonus, Thon Gold
First of all, pleeease dont call it the baltic region. Its scandinavia

If you want to do the outdoor thing check this site: http://english.turistforeningen.no/ fly to oslo (OSL, TRF or RYG) and the take the train to the mountains. But be prepared and stick to the trails/routes as the most dangerous thing for foreigners in norway is the outdoors and the beer prices.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by jALIg
First of all, pleeease dont call it the baltic region. Its scandinavia
Except for Finland, which may or may not be Scandinavian, depending on whom you ask. But if the OP wants mountains, Finland is more or less out of the picture anyway.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Norway it is! Mountains are what we love. Great website, I'll definitely check them out!

Beer ... Cheap or expensive?

I had to look up Scandinavia on wiki LOL, sorry!
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:58 pm
ksu

Or Bergen...

Originally Posted by Mbcijim10
Norway it is! Mountains are what we love. Great website, I'll definitely check them out!

Beer ... Cheap or expensive?

I had to look up Scandinavia on wiki LOL, sorry!
Beer: notoriously expensive.

You could also fly into Bergen, and take to the mountains from the fjords. Even for hikers, the boat and traintrips (e.g. the ones that are part of Norway in a Nutshell) are worth doing as positioning trips to get to good hiking routes. The trains from Oslo into the mountains, are nice, but not as spectacular as the alternatives from Bergen.

As for geographic names, that is always contentous on this board. Norwegian usage would be:
Baltic countries ("Baltikum"): Estonia, Latvia. Lithuania
Baltic region: not in common use, could use Østersjøregionen (the region of the Eastern sea): countries bordering the Baltic sea
Scandinavia: The Scandinavian peninsula (Norway and Sweden) plus Denmark . (Basically sharing a common langauge)
Nordic region ("Norden") Scandinavia plus Finland (including Åland), Iceland, Faroe Islands and sometimes Greenland

Last edited by ksu; Jun 22, 2013 at 12:05 am
Old Jun 22, 2013, 9:50 am

Programs: AA PLT MM, BA, UA, AC
Beer, cheap or expensive? Ans, almost everything in Scandinavia is expensive. Alchoholic drinks are heavily taxed and expensive.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by ksu
Beer: notoriously expensive.

You could also fly into Bergen, and take to the mountains from the fjords. Even for hikers, the boat and traintrips (e.g. the ones that are part of Norway in a Nutshell) are worth doing as positioning trips to get to good hiking routes. The trains from Oslo into the mountains, are nice, but not as spectacular as the alternatives from Bergen.

As for geographic names, that is always contentous on this board. Norwegian usage would be:
Baltic countries ("Baltikum"): Estonia, Latvia. Lithuania
Baltic region: not in common use, could use Østersjøregionen (the region of the Eastern sea): countries bordering the Baltic sea
Scandinavia: The Scandinavian peninsula (Norway and Sweden) plus Denmark . (Basically sharing a common langauge)
Nordic region ("Norden") Scandinavia plus Finland (including Åland), Iceland, Faroe Islands and sometimes Greenland

You could fly in to Bergen, but the competition on the Oslo-London route is fierce and you can get a very good price!

Prices are very high here. You MUST be sure that you have enough money to support yourself for the time you want to stay.

Normal prices:

0,5 litre beer = $ 12
Main course in a restaurant = $30
Single ticket on city transport = $4,5
Budget hotel=$130

But the nature is amazing and people are usually nice, but you should be the initiativetaker to communication.

Also many americans say that we got the nicest 7-11s in the world
Old Jun 23, 2013, 5:25 am
ksu

Originally Posted by jALIg
You could fly in to Bergen, but the competition on the Oslo-London route is fierce and you can get a very good price!

Prices are very high here. You MUST be sure that you have enough money to support yourself for the time you want to stay.

Normal prices:

0,5 litre beer = $ 12
Main course in a restaurant = $30
Single ticket on city transport = $4,5
Budget hotel=$130

But the nature is amazing and people are usually nice, but you should be the initiativetaker to communication.

Also many americans say that we got the nicest 7-11s in the world
Don't scare the OP! He is going trekking, and the DNT huts are quite reasonable with prices per person ranging from NOK 155 - NOK 330/ per night (NOK 90 - 250 as a member per night. Full price list here: http://www2.turistforeningen.no/file...2013_print.pdf

A membership at NOK 570 (USD 100) is probably worth it for the discount on food and lodging for 10 days.

Having just come back from a trip to Yosemite, I don't think that the prices for lodging in Norwegian national parks and similar are that scaring.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by ksu
Don't scare the OP! He is going trekking, and the DNT huts are quite reasonable with prices per person ranging from NOK 155 - NOK 330/ per night (NOK 90 - 250 as a member per night. Full price list here: http://www2.turistforeningen.no/file...2013_print.pdf

A membership at NOK 570 (USD 100) is probably worth it for the discount on food and lodging for 10 days.

Having just come back from a trip to Yosemite, I don't think that the prices for lodging in Norwegian national parks and similar are that scaring.
I am not trying to scare anyone. But i find that many tourist are not prepared for the price level here. So just telling them where the bar is might give them an realistic expectation.

And there is not much fun vacationing in norway when you have to turn every penny before spending it.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Everyone, thanks this gave me some great places to start looking!

The Mrs. gets really seasick so I'm going to check out the train at Bergen. thanks for the info on costs, not really an issue for us fortunately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.