Wiki Posts
Search

Stockholm Local Restaurant Recommedations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2011, 1:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AMEX Platinum, ANA
Question Stockholm Local Restaurant Recommedations

I've been to Stockholm a number of times before on business trips, but has been 10 years since my last trip. Going with my Wife next month for a 3 day stopover before heading home.

Anyone have any suggestions for nice reasonably priced restaurants? Seems most of those I have found online are rather pricey.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:17 am

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Hi Jason,
restaurants in Stockholm tend to be rather pricey, especially for visitors with the current strong SEK.
By local restaurant, do you mean swedish cuisine (not that common among cheaper restaurants), if not, what kind of food are you interested in? Also, are you looking for a restaurant in any particular part of Stockholm?

Let me know, and I'll try to put together a few suggestions for you.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Hi Kurt,

Thank you for the quick reply. We will be staying at the Royal Viking Hotel so will be in the vicinity of Central Station. However, any location you may know of, within range of the city via subway, would be fine. My last visit years ago, I'd eaten at the Fem Små Hus restaurant, which was very good, however recall it being very pricey. Traditional Swedish food would be great if at a more reasonable price, however any food is ok for us. We prefer smaller local restaurants to the large chain tourist traps in cities around the world.

Look forward to hearing any suggestions you may have.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 3:59 am

Probably the best restaurant in Stockholm is superstar chef Mathias Dahlgrens "Matsalen" at the Grand Hotel. Two Michelin stars, and nowhere near cheap... However, Mr Dahlgren also runs a small "backpocket" restaurant next door called "Matbaren" (the food bar) which is great and quite reasonably priced, and has one star. Take a look at www.mathiasdahlgren.com, but there's no menu there as it changes daily.

Another classic is the "Bakfickan" (literally the back pocket) at "Operakällaren" at the back of the Opera house in Kungsträdgården. Same thing there, Operakällaren is a very expensive Michelin place, but the smaller place is also very good with a relaxed atmosphere. www.operakallaren.se.

If you're more into pub/restaurant kind of places theres two favourites on the south side (Söder). "Soldaten Svejk" (www.svejk.se) has great Chech and other beers and very good rustic food. "Akkurat" (www.akkurat.se) is probably my first choice in the category, though. Great cheap food, fantastic beers and an unbelievable number of single malt whisky, if you're into that.

That's just a few suggestions, others will probably come up with their favourites as well. Let me know if you're looking for someting else, and I'll try to help. Have a good time in Stockholm!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you again Kurt! We may do both of the pub/restaurants you've mentioned here and then one more upscale place on our last night, as we will have only 3 nights. I'm looking forward to checking them out. Stockholm is such a beautiful city!
Old Jun 28, 2011, 5:52 am

Happy to help, Jason. I think you'll find both of those pubs friendly and popular with locals. They tend to get lively as the evening moves on, but in no way rowdy.

For the upscale evening, without spending a fortune, I would really recommend the Matbaren. Extraordinary food for the price, and you get the same amazing service and wine list as at the formal restaurant next door. If you'd like to try it, it can be a good idea to make reservations well ahead, even though they keep a few tables on a first come-basis every day.
The Grand Hotel is an interesting place in itself as well. One of those old world, true first class hotels without any of the chain hotel-atmosphere.
Old Jun 28, 2011, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Another "bakficka" is Eriks Bakficka in Ostermalm. Erik Lallerstedt is an older "celebrity chef" whose flagship restaurant today is Gondolen, which is located 100 ft up in the air above Slussen. Eriks Bakficka is a 10 min walk from Stureplan or Norrmalm and actually very close to Djurgarden and the Wasa museum, but in a residential spot. And it is very much a neighborhood restaurant for the Ostermalm neighborhood.They have outdoor seating. It is Michelin rated.

It's reasonable (for Sweden) and they even have "dagens husman", which are traditional Swedish dishes, for something like SEK 120.

p.s. The term bakficka refers to a simpler restaurant attached to a larger top notch one like the Mathias Dahlgren example. However, in this case the original restaurant Eriks is no longer in operation and was actually not in the same exact location but down the street. It was one of the top restaurants in the 1980s and early 1990s. I think he closed it after acquiring Gondolen.

http://www.eriks.se/start.asp?lang=2

Last edited by gnaget; Jun 28, 2011 at 9:36 pm
Old Jun 30, 2011, 9:53 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
If the weather is nice, http://www.bockholmen.com/index2.html. It is not downtown, but you can start with a drink down on the pier before heading up for dinner.

Another possibility, http://www.sjogras.com/ if you prefer to be in the city.

Akkurat is a favorite of mine, but definitely more of a pub. Try to mussels with a Belgian beer (or two).
Old Jul 1, 2011, 3:39 am
jth

Programs: SK EBS, BAEC blue, SPG
I personally favor Björk's Bar&Grill for a nice nordic/swedish dining, and with (for Stockholm) reasonable prices. It's located in the Marriot Courtyard hotel on Kungsholmen so it's a nice walk along Norr Mälarstrand (or a short metro/bus ride to Fridhemsplan) from the city.
http://bjorkbarochgrill.se/
Old Jul 2, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for giving so many great options! We're leaving for Stockholm a week from now so will take the next week to check online ahead of time the restaurants you've all recommend and pick a few to try during the short three days we have in town. Looking forward to the trip for sure!
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:14 am

Programs: AY Platinum, IHG Gold, Diners
I'm not local, but have been a few times in Stockholm. I also stay most of the time at Radisson Viking.

My favourite restaurant is a place very close to the hotel, called Bistro Bestick. However, they're close from July 9th to August 9th

I also once tried the Sunday brunch at the hotel's fish-restaurant. I found that to be quite nice as well.
Old Aug 10, 2011, 5:31 pm

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9100/5.0.0.884 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/299)

I highly recommend Herman's located on the other side of fotografiska. it's actually on the hill so you need to reach there by stairs. They serve vegeterian buffet at lunch time for 100 SEK. It was vegeterian but was also full of non-vegeterian local people. It's on the hill so you can enjoy the stunning view of Stockholm with water. I was recommended the place by a clerk in a bar near langholmen
Old Aug 24, 2011, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Any Dagens Lunch suggestions for something nice?
Cheers
Howie
Old Aug 24, 2011, 1:34 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold, LH FTL, FBP, CCG, HH Diamond
If you want a nice lunch, you can try Grodan Sergel, located in an "ally" on the path between Sergels Torg and the Concert house. There is another close to Östermalms torg as well just outside the entrance to Sturegallerian (not the one next to Stureplan though)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 8:10 am
hkn

Programs: SAS EuroBonus, Flying Blue, BA Executive Club, Jumeirah Sirius, Tablet Plus,
Take it from a local. Here are some restaurants in Stockholm that will cause a milder damage to your wallet:

Råkultur (translates to 'raw culture') – operated by Sayan Isaksson, the silver medalist from Seven Sushi Samurai – this is one of the best options for a great meal in Stockholm, without breaking your piggy bank. On the minus side: You can't reserve a table, so arrive early –.or in the evening, try to get the chef's table. See what you get here: http://www.guidebook.se/archives/2080

Chez Betty – a small bistro with very few seats and amazing food, inspired by southern France. Award winning, popular and almost always full. Still, you may book ahead and be lucky. A fantastic place with a very reasonably priced menu: http://www.guidebook.se/archives/1890

Restaurang Volt – not exactly cheap but delivers a pretty good bang for your buck. Has labeled themselves a "gastro-bistro" but don't let that put you off. Great service. See more here: http://www.guidebook.se/archives/992

Restaurang AG – without a doubt Sweden's premier meat restaurant. No, it's not a steak house. It's a temple where you worship meat! And while you can have yourself a Entrecôte Grand Cru that will cost you about $ 80, head chef Johan Jureskog's burger (at ≈ $ 19) is one of the best deals in town.
Images of the burger, (and the meat), here: http://www.guidebook.se/archives/925

Restaurang Sjögräs –.an ambitious, high-end restaurant in a district dominated by sports bars and "Irish" pubs. Solid deliveries from the kitchen, great service and more than 400 different rhums to choose from. Can't go wrong with that. See what makes me come back for more: http://www.guidebook.se/archives/2236

Major setback for tourists: In July, when Stockholm is the most beautiful, many restaurants close. Expect the city to be up and running full steam in mid August. DO check ahead to see what's open and what's not.

Last edited by hkn; Jul 13, 2012 at 9:29 pm Reason: Added the restaurant Sjögräs to the list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.