Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suprising need for cash in Sweden

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by FFlash
And we who live in nordics, we do really not want foreigners to bring the tipping culture here, since it will increase the expectations of more spend
Amen! Please don't ruin it for others.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 3:34 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by henry999
One doesn't tip in the Nordic countries. It's an insult to the worker.
Swedish waiters in Oslo seem to expect American style tips...
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:32 am

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Originally Posted by ksu
Swedish waiters in Oslo seem to expect American style tips...
The disease attempts to spread. The most effective way is indeed the handheld card processing terminal that is programmed so that it asks for the tip.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 12:45 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I just tried to exchange 300 SEK of the older 5kr coins at Forex Bank in GOT

They told me to go to OSL as it would be cheaper. Apparently Forex Bank in Norway buys foreign coins...
Old Feb 11, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Came over from the US 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Haven't touched cash in that time. Rental car, gas, train tickets, convenience stores, cinemas, hamburger joints and more posh restaurants etc. Even stayed in two Scandic hotels with signs that the reception, bar and restaurant areas were "Cash Free Zones"
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by onobond
Came over from the US 2 weeks ago tomorrow. Haven't touched cash in that time. Rental car, gas, train tickets, convenience stores, cinemas, hamburger joints and more posh restaurants etc. Even stayed in two Scandic hotels with signs that the reception, bar and restaurant areas were "Cash Free Zones"
I have been skiing in Sweden for the week, and I haven't used cash except for one thing: ski bus fare for someone who didn't have a ski pass. I don't know if the Skistar bus has a bank card processing capability, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

I prefer to use cash over cards, if only because most of my cards don't require a PIN to be used to make purchases.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:54 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Agree. Maybe once upon a time this was the case, but I think many other parts of the world have caught up. I was last there in May last year and was surprised that's still nowhere really used contactless payment, which is pretty common these days in many other places that were previously behind Scandinavia in card use. I did see a Visa stand in Kungsträdgården that was advertising contactless payment, so maybe it's starting to become a thing.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:07 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
The banks have not agreed on which system to use, and the fact that card use is so high (and works pretty well) the incentive to change to an even better system is less.

A parallell example would be that the internet was later to catch on in France than in other countries because Minitel was well established there. Minitel, while less advanced, still offered much of the same functionality, and so slowed the more advanced technology in getting established.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:26 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, EuroBonus
Originally Posted by henry999
One doesn't tip in the Nordic countries. It's an insult to the worker.
Not true, at least in Stockholm waiters certainly expect tips, but it's unusual to leave cash.

The waiter will ask you how much you want to leave if they are typing the total amount into the machine themselves, although the normal thing is that they will let you type the total amount yourself.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 2:24 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ticino
Not true, at least in Stockholm waiters certainly expect tips, but it's unusual to leave cash.

The waiter will ask you how much you want to leave if they are typing the total amount into the machine themselves, although the normal thing is that they will let you type the total amount yourself.
I was in Stockholm in July 2015 and I dined at Oaxen Krog and a few other places. I never had a waiter ask me how much I wanted to leave.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Mostly, the tendency to encourage tips from waiters, are in bars. There the waiters are younger and travel more frequently to destinations like MIA, where placards tell guests that a service fee of 17 (-20) % is added to the bill. In Sweden, as later in other Scandinavian countries, the service fee/tips was negotiated to be included in the menu price, for food as well as beverages.

The benefit of this system is that any wait/er/ress will have a sound ground for payment when on sick or maternity leave, as also be the correct base for having retirement pay, when that time cometh. Beeing a single waiter of 25, those things might seem less important today, but any older collegue will certainly not want the old system back
Old Feb 25, 2017, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Nordic Choice Gold
I have visited Stockholm every 3/4 weeks for the past 3 years, normally staying for 2 nights on each occasion. On one of the early trips I took out about 1000 SEK out of the cash machine and it took me ages to spend it.

I have not used cash in Sweden for over two years (Arlanda Express, taxis, hotels, lunch places, restaurants, bars, recharging my travel pass). No one bats an eye even if you buy a pack of chewing gum on your card.

Many takeaway food places in central Stockholm are cash free and seem to be proud to advertise the fact.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 3:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tigertanaka
I have visited Stockholm every 3/4 weeks for the past 3 years, normally staying for 2 nights on each occasion. On one of the early trips I took out about 1000 SEK out of the cash machine and it took me ages to spend it.

I have not used cash in Sweden for over two years (Arlanda Express, taxis, hotels, lunch places, restaurants, bars, recharging my travel pass). No one bats an eye even if you buy a pack of chewing gum on your card.

Many takeaway food places in central Stockholm are cash free and seem to be proud to advertise the fact.
Some places in Sweden refuse to take cards for purchase amounts less than say 30SEK. I'm encountering that more in 2016 and 2017 than in 2015, but the cutoff amount seems lower than it used to be when comparing some of the places to their prior practices.

I went to a convenience store to pick up some kind of sweet rolls last week, and my 26SEK purchase wasn't going to happen unless I had the cash or added to the purchase and getting stuff worth 30SEK or more.
Old Feb 28, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, EBS, HH Silver
I am been living in Stockholm for over a year now and so far almost all places accept cards even for small amounts. If you go on road trips e.g. to the north there sometimes are stores that do not accept payment by card (but do accept SWISH payment).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.