Wiki Posts
Search

CPH in late November?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
CPH in late November?

Will have a free weekend late November. Will already be in CPH so planning to stick around vs. taking a stopover in KEF or relocating to elsewhere in Europe.

Will likely have 2.5 days to explore. Never been and it's been on the bucket list, but the summer version I'm into cities, sights, history and coffee. I think that should be enough to see the city, check out a Christmas market, etc.. Biking tour if the weather seems to have an hint of cooperating (or there's a bike tour that also rents full on rain gear).

My questions:
  • Is the weather passable enough that I will feel good about venturing forth from the hotel?
  • Have a top 5-10 list for a first-time visitor for early winter?
  • Time-wise is that enough? New/exciting options in town or for a daytrip if I extend to 3.5 days?

Appreciate your time and discussion.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Well it'll be cold of course but Copenhagen is rarely so cold that you don't feel like venturing out.
http://www.holiday-weather.com/copen...ages/november/
Remember that the days are short.....

There is a Christmas Market in Tivoli:
http://www.visitcopenhagen.com/copen...ens-gdk1034745

For a day trip Malmø,Sweden is nice and easy.
They have Christmas Markets as well - starting 26/11 (according to a website I found but do check yourself nearer to the time).
I prefer Malmø to Copenhagen for Christmas Markets etc - they seem to have more decorations and lights.

Last edited by helosc; Oct 16, 2016 at 12:12 pm
Old Oct 17, 2016, 2:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Christmas decoration shopping in Copenhagen and Malmo is one of my favourite activities around that time of year! As well as the main Christmas Market in Tivoli, there is a smaller one in Hojbroplads, but which does have some rather lovely stalls.

You've also got some good shops along the Stroget for this - whether it's the easy-to-spend-a-fortune Illums Bolighus, or the more budget Sostrene Grene (opposite the Lego shop). As pointed out by helosc, Malmo has an even better selection.

If you want to do a bike tour on the spur of the moment, weather permitting, don't forget there are city bikes:

https://bycyklen.dk/en/faq/for-tourists/

which come with GPS panels that you can use to construct yourself a tour! Pretty much every hotel will rent you a bike as well (which does mean you can go further afield - for example, take it on the train over to Malmo to explore the Vastra Hamnen area, or have a look around up the coast - again, weather permitting!)

Other things I would prioritise on a trip would include Tivoli (which is magical that time of year), the Rundetaarn, the Vor Frelsers Kirke (climb the tower!) on Christianshavn, Christiania, the Glyptotek, and if you enjoy modern art, a trip out to Louisiana. I do enjoy a coffee and pastry at the market halls, too. A boat ride is rather fun too - I enjoy just taking the waterbuses (you can take a bike on, too).

Don't worry excessively about the weather. Yes, heavy rain can make moving around more difficult, but the city expects weather like this and is well geared up for it. November may be dark, but dark is a good thing here - darkness gives you cosiness. Places like Gråbrødretorv look magical in the dark. And you can be guaranteed to find a warm, dimly lit cafe or bar to take the chill or damp off.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Awesome. Thanks so much for the tips. Glad it won't be too cold. I can handle some rain being based in Seattle. But rain + cold + dark does get to be a very dreary combo for a few days vacation I'm more excited for this one now. I'm hoping that the weather is good enough for a self-guided bike tour.

Sounds like I'm set with Tivoli, cafes and some modern art. Would be fun to get over to Malmo as well - I'll have to pencil that in for a day.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, Icelandair, IHG Diamond Elite Ambassador, Hertz 5*
We did a small 4 night break to Copenhagen in March 2014 - I would certainly recommend a day-trip to Malmo and if it is rainy, the Technology & Maritime Museum, Malmo is an excellent refuge (if you are interested in technology etc) We also walked out to see the Turning Torso building, but got rather cold and windswept do that! For Copenhagen, Nyhavn is fun to walk down if it is sunny, I have mixed feelings about the Little Mermaid and the Blue Aquarium - however, another great place to visit out of the cold is The National Museum of Denmark.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:42 pm

It's supposed to be the coldest winter in a long time, but end of November shouldn't be too bad. Actually the lead-up to Christmas is my absolute favorite time in Copenhagen! It's sometimes even better than the summer!

I definitely can echo visiting the Christmas markets (be sure to grab some æbleskiver aka Danish fried dough balls), and Tivoli. I also highly recommend stopping by Hviids Vinstue near Kongens Nytorv for a nice glass of gløgg (mulled wine), then taking a walk to see the decorations at Hotel d'Angleterre and the surrounding area.

The cold times in Denmark are all about finding "hygge" or cozy moments
Old Oct 28, 2016, 11:33 pm

I don't know about long term forecasts but so far the autumn/winter has been warmer than average.
The first frost usually show up in September (a short spell at night somewhere far from Copenhagen) but I don't think we have had any yet.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Fingers crossed for staying warmer longer... But hygge here I come!
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:38 am

Check this site for weather in Copenhagen when you get nearer to your trip:
https://www.dmi.dk/vejr/til-lands/by...%C3%B8benhavn/

By = city
Vejr = weather
København = Copenhagen
Old Nov 5, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
It's likely to be cold, but above freezing. Frost to -5C is possible, as is snow, but less likely these days (when I was young, it was much more common, but it's clear that global warming is taking the coldest edge off the winter these days). You're likely to get rained on some of the time. So overall bring warmer Seattle clothing and Seattle rain attitude and you'll be OK. Warm waterproof footwear, warmer trousers, waterproof jacket with layers, some head covering and light gloves and you'll be fine even for going walkabout.

Days are, as mentioned, short; get up with or shortly after dawn and get out and about, the evening will arrive soon.

Museums are accessible in any weather, while walking around to shop or sightsee should be fine. You can always go hide in a cafe or shop if it rains too much for a while. I wouldn't plan any beach trips
Tivoli will be open. You should go there.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Just got back. A puffy, goretex shell, hat and gloves were what I needed. Caught two partial days of sun which were timed outside of meetings so that was a victory.

I did both the bycyklen bikes and Lousiana museum - great tips on those. Lot of good eating, too, and a few restaurant mistakes, but live and learn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.