Wiki Posts
Search

Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2016, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Oslo, Stockholm and Copenhagen

Would 2 full days each enough to enjoy these cities (July 2017)?

I have never been to any of these cities. I enjoy walking around big cities, looking at architecture, people watching from cafes, drinks at pubs/bars, love street food and fine dining.

If 2 days is not enough and need to drop one of the cities, which one should I drop? Thanks.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:58 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
If you want to drop one city, it should be Oslo in my opinion.
You could also shorten the stay there to only one full day and add the extra day to Stockholm.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, HHonors Silver
Agree with above. Although if you want to enjoy 2 truly Nordic cities, drop Copenhagen (canals, cobblestone streets, beer, bikes, waffles, all oddly reminiscent of Amsterdam) in favor of Oslo (fjords, easy boat trips, mountains just outside of the city, seafood). For cafés, dining, and architecture CPH and STO would be my choices, too.

Add a day to Stockholm itinerary. 3 days is much better.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I was about to post something similar re a trip for next summer....

If you had to choose between 2-3 days in STO or OSL, which would it be? It's a family trip with kids between 7 & 12.

Oslo appealed with the Viking history museums, but I've never been to Stockholm...
Old Oct 2, 2016, 4:29 pm

Reserve most of a day for the VASA in Stockholm.... IMO...lol

Its time travel.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 10:07 pm

Programs: OZ*G, QF Gold
Stockholm is fantastic for kids and adults alike, and requires a minimum of 3-4 days, IMO. Great museums, architecture, food and drink of every kind (fine dining, cafes, bakeries, traditional pubs, etc), beautiful nature and scenery. A vibrant, interesting city. I go back fairly regularly and will never tire of it. +1 for the Vasa Museum suggestion above, and there are a number of other museums in its immediate vicinity as well.

Haven't been to Oslo so I can't comment personally, but I've heard from others that it pales in comparison to Stockholm.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 12:38 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I was about to post something similar re a trip for next summer....

If you had to choose between 2-3 days in STO or OSL, which would it be? It's a family trip with kids between 7 & 12.

Oslo appealed with the Viking history museums, but I've never been to Stockholm...
Stockholm without a doubt.
Much more to see and do.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:25 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Another vote for Stockholm. There's just more to see there (although Oslo's position and proximity to the mountains is excellent - but then so is Stockholm's to the archipelago).

For the OP wanting to spend time between Stockholm and Copenhagen, there is a night train from Stockholm to Malmo, which is rather good (comfortable, option to have a toilet and shower en suite, great breakfast on arrival) - Malmo is a short commuter train ride from Copenhagen (and a worthwhile destination in its own right).

Another option, depending on how much luggage you have, is to travel down from Stockholm to Gothenburg (a 3h train journey) and have a look round. Then you can head down to Helsingborg (2h train journey) and see the castle, beach, etc. You then have the option to continue via Landskrona, Lund and Malmo, or to take the ferry across to Helsingor (for Kronborg and Louisiana). Both Malmo and Helsingor are just half an hour from Copenhagen.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:37 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by helosc
If you want to drop one city, it should be Oslo in my opinion.
You could also shorten the stay there to only one full day and add the extra day to Stockholm.
I too would say Oslo is the city to drop if wanting to visit just urban areas.

Stockholm is my favorite of the three mentioned cities. Copenhagen second of my favorite cities. And Oslo third of them. But if it's a combination of urban and non-urban adventure, I would then perhaps consider dropping Copenhagen and be more in favor of going to Oslo (and beyond).

For most people with very limited time to visit, I'd say focus on Stockholm and the Copenhagen/Helsingor/Helsingborg/Malmo/Copenhagen loop.
Old Oct 3, 2016, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I love both Copenhagen and Stockholm. The food scene in both is incredible with Stockholm perhaps having the edge and the incredible design scene probably giving Copenhagen the edge.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 11:47 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
how about stockholm in winter?

we are thinking of an xmas trip./....
Old Nov 16, 2016, 2:47 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Go for it. It's particularly picturesque if it snows - just wrap up warm... The Christmas markets are lovely, and there is Glögg to warm you up - join the determined people sitting wrapped in blankets on the outdoor tables.

I've also got a soft spot for Swedish Christmas decorations - I'm disappointed not to be going there this year!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I love both Copenhagen and Stockholm. The food scene in both is incredible with Stockholm perhaps having the edge
I may be biased here - but given that the whole New Nordic kitchen is originating in Copenhagen - and with a full load of Michelin star restaurants (16 restaurants with 20 stars in Copenhagen - Stockholm has 14 stars to 10 restaurants) as well as a fully loaded range of dinning options from Papirøen and Kødbyen all the way up the 10 Bib-Gourmand restaurants just below the stars it is my experience that Copenhagen beat Stockholm hands down on the food scene.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:51 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OFFlyer
I may be biased here - but given that the whole New Nordic kitchen is originating in Copenhagen - and with a full load of Michelin star restaurants (16 restaurants with 20 stars in Copenhagen - Stockholm has 14 stars to 10 restaurants) as well as a fully loaded range of dinning options from Papirøen and Kødbyen all the way up the 10 Bib-Gourmand restaurants just below the stars it is my experience that Copenhagen beat Stockholm hands down on the food scene.
Sure, but aren't the prices higher in Copenhagen too? That said, CPH as a foodie destination looks even richer if adding in the bits of the Malmo/Skane area as a sort of suburb to Copenhagen since they too have some stars.

Weather-wise I prefer real snow to the rainy or slushy weather that is so prevalent in the CPH vicinity around this time of the year. I choose Stockholm over Copenhagen for urban winter wonderland experiences. And for summer weather, I prefer the beauty of the Stockholm area over the relatively plain geography and urban edge of Copenhagen.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
The reality is that both destinations offer fantastic food options, and it won't be possible, in a short trip, to do more than scratch the surface of the choices of either. So, IMHO, food will be equally exciting in both cities and hence I would go for the other activities as the tie-breaker.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.