Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Was anyone else disappointed in Iceland?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

I've heard great things about Iceland so I decided to check it out myself and was a bit disappointed. I found everything really expensive and all the sights far away. There wasn't much to see except a few sights here and there. Am I missing something?
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Iceland has some truly amazing sites

Reykjavik can be a bit plain if you arent into the bar / nightclub scene, but head out on the Golden Circle and there are some good sights to see.

SPend a bit more time going round the island (we took 2 weeks) and there are some absolutely amazing places to visit.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
I guess it depends on how you feel about wild landscape and wildlife. A friend and I spent 10 days driving around the Ring Road a few years ago after a brief visit to Reykjavik and were blown away by the scenery. There are even a few neat museums and craftspeople, if you look hard enough. On the negative side, I don't eat seafood and thought the food was generally ghastly (and expensive, of course).

Last edited by Giggleswick; Jul 3, 2016 at 6:40 pm Reason: Fixed typo: "Ring Road" not "Ring Round."
Old Jun 15, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Aliksander
Reykjavik can be a bit plain if you arent into the bar / nightclub scene, but head out on the Golden Circle and there are some good sights to see.

SPend a bit more time going round the island (we took 2 weeks) and there are some absolutely amazing places to visit.
Agree. Reykjavik did little for me. It's a kind-of cool medium sized city with decent nightlife options. The beauty of Iceland - and you do need to be into beauty - is everywhere else. We spent 12 days on the drive around the island. We stayed in farms (there is a big farm-stay program). As a result, we saw much and met many.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:44 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this over to the Nordic Countries forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by thetravelhackr
I've heard great things about Iceland so I decided to check it out myself and was a bit disappointed. I found everything really expensive and all the sights far away. There wasn't much to see except a few sights here and there. Am I missing something?
I had the same feeling. I think it is a bit overhyped.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Of course the "sights" are far away, the sights are mountains, glaciers and waterfalls - the tourism department can't exactly put them where ever they please.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 11:33 pm

I think it is safe to say that Portugal were pretty disappointed with Iceland
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:01 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
If you stay in Reykjavik your entire time then yes, the sites (and sights) are far away. If you travel around the country like posters 2, 3, and 4 did, you can sleep within hearing distance of a waterfall and a glacier right outside your window.

And yes it's expensive. It's an island in the middle of nowhere (ever go to Hawaii?) without the weather to raise many crops and there are almost no trees so they have to import most things. Other than fish, water and heat.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by eigenvector
Of course the "sights" are far away, the sights are mountains, glaciers and waterfalls - the tourism department can't exactly put them where ever they please.
lol
Old Jun 16, 2016, 9:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Aliksander
head out on the Golden Circle and there are some good sights to see.
That's what I plan on doing during a short two day stopover on the way back from CPH in October. A very full day of sightseeing on the Golden Circle and some time in and around Reykjavik will be a good introduction as I'm sure I'll return for a longer visit in near future.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:19 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

I had a full day layover in Iceland so I rented a car at the airport, went to the Blue Lagoon when it first open to avoid the crowds, then drove to Reykjavik for some sight-seeing and lunch. I spent the rest of the day driving the circle and checking out the scenery which was pretty cool. Yes, renting a car was expensive and getting gas was a pain since credit cards require a PIN, but it was definitely worth it.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:55 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
During business hours you can go inside a gas station and buy gas without a PIN from an attendent
Old Jun 21, 2016, 10:22 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
During business hours you can go inside a gas station and buy gas without a PIN from an attendent
Not the gas station that I went to. The attendant told me that I could only use my credit card at the pump, which required a PIN. So I drove to another gas station and there was no attendant on duty. It was getting late in the evening and my flight was coming up so I got so frustrated with the ordeal that I returned the car and paid the penalty.

Maybe the new chip cards can be use without a PIN, but next time I will just carry more Icelandic Kronas with me.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vh_bu98
Not the gas station that I went to. The attendant told me that I could only use my credit card at the pump, which required a PIN. So I drove to another gas station and there was no attendant on duty. It was getting late in the evening and my flight was coming up so I got so frustrated with the ordeal that I returned the car and paid the penalty.

Maybe the new chip cards can be use without a PIN, but next time I will just carry more Icelandic Kronas with me.
Or pay for the gas refueling option? Should be cheaper than the penalty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.