Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

"Migrant teen gangs" at Stockholm central station?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Migrant teen gangs" at Stockholm central station?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2016, 12:16 am

Programs: Various
The dodgiest area is the entrance to T-Centralen from Plattan(Sergels torg) and this includes both street level(outside Åhléns department store) and the level below. Apart from there I really don't see a persistent problem anywhere(even if the numbers of unpleasant people is quite high)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 2:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ryanbryan
Ehm no, you can access T-Centralen from Sergels torg, it's Centralstationen (for pendeltåg, SJ and Arlanda Express) and Cityterminalen (for buses) that you can't access. As you point out, you need an SL ticket to cut through T-Centralen to get there.

In any case, Stockholm city isn't that bad that you need to be that worried about any of this. There are dodgy areas, but they aren't really any worse than any other major city, and not enough to change your hotel for. Just be observant of your surroundings and you'll be fine.
You can't access T-Centralen from Sergels Torg unless having a ticket good for SL travel. T-Centralen is not Sergels Torg -- it never has been.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
You can't access T-Centralen from Sergels Torg unless having a ticket good for SL travel. T-Centralen is not Sergels Torg -- it never has been.
Ehm yes, that is what I said. And I didn't say T-Centralen was Sergels torg.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 3:43 pm
Suspended

Ehm yes, that is what I said. And I didn't say T-Centralen was Sergels torg.
Then who knows why your post said "Ehm no" in response to my post.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: QF, Velocity, AA
Because you were saying that you can't access T-Centralen (which *is* the subway platforms) from Sergels torg - which you can, with an SL ticket. It's the rest of it (Stockholm C/Centralstationen/Cityterminalen) that you can't get to without transiting the T-Centralen platforms.
Old Mar 18, 2016, 1:16 am
Suspended

Because you were saying that you can't access T-Centralen (which *is* the subway platforms) from Sergels torg - which you can, with an SL ticket. It's the rest of it (Stockholm C/Centralstationen/Cityterminalen) that you can't get to without transiting the T-Centralen platforms.
You ought to re-read what I actually posted and make an effort to properly understand what I posted, as you're ascribing to me words that I simply did not say.

Here is what I said:

Originally Posted by GUWonder
While the T-Centralen subway platforms are indeed accessible from the Sergelstorg pit (aka "Plattan"), it requires having an SL ticket to get from Sergels Torg to T-Centralen itself or doing a detour through parts that aren't T-Centralen. Sergels Torg and T-Centralen are not one and the same, and they never have been.
I've taken the T-bana trains from T-Centralen by using SL tickets to access them from Sergels Torg for decades. .
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
The Mariatorget area is quite nice. I stayed at the Hilton. Both south and west of the Hilton are a bunch of interesting restaurants and shops. It is an easy walk to the old town and easy access via public transport to the rest of the city.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 3:53 pm

Programs: Various
Agree that Hilton is in a very good location.

I have no idea if the hotel itself is any good but location wise I can't say anything bad about it.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 2:52 am

I commute to and from work crossing the Central Station daily (and also occationally on weekends) and I also go home after being out late sometimes during the weekends and I have never experienced any problems so I would say this will not be a problem what so ever.

Like in any city, walking home alone drunk at 03:45 in the morning might not be the best idea but I'm guessing that is now that you mean by "late" when travelling with your child so you will be completely safe.

Edit: Not what you mean by late.

Last edited by Tortilla; Mar 21, 2016 at 2:53 am Reason: I spell like a tortilla
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: UA *G MM
It's not necessarily dangerous but the surroundings are unpleasant. I would stay east of Regeringsgatan or south of Hamngatan.

Gamla Stan is pleasant too. I guess there is a perceived risk of being mugged because it is quiet at night in some pockets.

Also there is Radisson Strand on Nybrokajen. That is a great location like the adjacent Grand Hotel and Lydmar. Although the rooms are not great if you get a basic one. Do not get one facing the central courtyard.

I don't care much for Södermalm, which is south of Gamla Stan so I do not endorse staying at Mariatorget.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fredrik74
The dodgiest area is the entrance to T-Centralen from Plattan(Sergels torg) and this includes both street level(outside Åhléns department store) and the level below. Apart from there I really don't see a persistent problem anywhere(even if the numbers of unpleasant people is quite high)
Original poster, here, and just finished the Stockholm segment of our trip (in Copenhagen now). My final opinion after being there was I'm glad we didn't stay near the T-Centralen and Central Station. The square outside T-Centralen definitely felt dodgy. Not much dodgier than a typical Chicago L stop, but much more dodgy than any other station in Stockholm that we passed through. It was the only place we visited that I felt like I needed to be more "on guard" than usual. I assume it was because we were there shortly after the Belgium attacks, but there was a very heavy police presence and they seemed to be doing full body pat-downs of anyone loitering in the station or square. BUT, I definitely didn't see roaming hoards of migrant teens harassing bystanders.

We ended up staying at Hotel Rival on Sodermalm and I can't say enough about how great it was. Exceptional level of service! Great, quiet rooms! Extremely close to Mariatorget t-bana stop and easy walk to Slussen t-bana and ferries. Really, it was just ideal.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by manda99
Original poster, here, and just finished the Stockholm segment of our trip (in Copenhagen now). My final opinion after being there was I'm glad we didn't stay near the T-Centralen and Central Station. The square outside T-Centralen definitely felt dodgy. Not much dodgier than a typical Chicago L stop, but much more dodgy than any other station in Stockholm that we passed through. It was the only place we visited that I felt like I needed to be more "on guard" than usual. I assume it was because we were there shortly after the Belgium attacks, but there was a very heavy police presence and they seemed to be doing full body pat-downs of anyone loitering in the station or square. BUT, I definitely didn't see roaming hoards of migrant teens harassing bystanders.

We ended up staying at Hotel Rival on Sodermalm and I can't say enough about how great it was. Exceptional level of service! Great, quiet rooms! Extremely close to Mariatorget t-bana stop and easy walk to Slussen t-bana and ferries. Really, it was just ideal.
Thanks for the update and glad you had a great stay.

Sergels Torg pit has had police quite often there for years and years and years. And, yes, they sometimes indeed are seen frisking people loitering around when they think they are dealing with a drug user or drug dealer or other kind of law violator (including those cheating the public transit system of its due dates). But I'm not sure if that explains the frisking that you saw or if the frisking at and around T-Centralen was (ridiculous as it would be) related to BRU.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 1:04 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Enjoy your stay in Copenhagen - you seem to be lucky with the weather, sun and a definite feeling of spring.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:56 am

Random anecdote: I've traveled a lot, including a large number of locales varyingly notorious for pickpocketing and crime (India, Jakarta, Bangkok, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, St. Petersburg, Barcelona, Rome, New York etc). The two times I have been pickpocketed were a small rural town in northern Japan, and... T-Centralen, Stockholm.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 8:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jpatokal
Random anecdote: I've traveled a lot, including a large number of locales varyingly notorious for pickpocketing and crime (India, Jakarta, Bangkok, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, St. Petersburg, Barcelona, Rome, New York etc). The two times I have been pickpocketed were a small rural town in northern Japan, and... T-Centralen, Stockholm.
Rural, northern Japan? That must be an interesting story.

Stockholm pickpockets around the tourist and heavy commuter areas isn't as surprising as rural Japan -- even as I've never been hit by a pickpocketing incident around Stockholm T-Centralen despite my frequent use of the place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.