Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Copenhagen - 2 full days enough ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Copenhagen - 2 full days enough ?

We will be flying on Mar 31 and staying near airport (Crowne Plaza CPH) . We are thinking of staying 3 nights Mar 31, April 1 , 2 and then take train to Sweden on April 3. Would the entire April 1, 2 be enough to see the city and all touristy places? or do we need an additional day?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Depends what you like doing and how wide you want to cast your net.

If you want to have a look round the old city, Stroget and Christiania, climb the Rundetaarn, visit one of the national museums, spend some time in Tivoli, have a couple of nice nights out and get a general feel for the city, then two days are plenty.

If you also want to try out some Danish-style cycling, visit several museums, including outliers like Louisiana, maybe a castle or two like Kronborg or Helsingor, the seaside at Dragor or Charlottenlund, a side trip to Roskilde and the fjord, and explore some of the local restaurants further from the centre... You'll need a little longer.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Stut, good info and thanks for that. We think we will do the first 2 tours on Day 1 which covers a lot of the touristy places .
http://www.copenhagenfreewalkingtours.dk

The second day we would be on our own and thinking of doing the Mermaid and its neighborhood... Does that sound right?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 3:43 pm

Well, the Little Mermaid, cute as it is (it still makes me happy when I cycle past) is basically a small statue on the edge of the harbour, a little out of town. It's a pleasant walk along the front from Skt Annae Plads, but there's not really much in the immediate area. The Kastellet is a curious place to walk through, the Marmorkierke is undoubtedly impressive, as is the Amalienborg, but you'll pass through in no time. The ferry stop at Nordre Toldbod is a good place to pick up a water bus if you'd sooner do that than a harbour tour.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
If you are fast - one day should be enough to cover most of the places. However if you want to spend a couple of hours in the National museum, then you need an extra day for it.

It's all depending on how much you want to see - a quick tour can be done in 4 hours (with a bus trip to the mermaid) - used to take family and friends around.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 4:57 am

When I was in Copenhagen I really saw a lot in a the limited amount of days that I was over there (I think it was 3 days (?)) So I think 2 days could be fine
Old Oct 15, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You won't see everything in 2 days. You can have a good look around though, and that might be long enough for you.
If you want museums and so on, you can definitely fill a day with the National Museum, Marmorkirken (the marble church), Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (classical and modern art, also nice building), perhaps a trip out to Lousiana in Humlebæk (modern art), etc.
If you want to go out of town, Roskilde is a 30 minute train ride away and has the viking ship museum, the cathedral (burial place of the Kings and Queens of Denmark), and a quiet town centre to walk around.
You can also take the train 45 minutes or so to Helsingør where there is the Kronborg ("Hamlet's Castle" although it's rather more significant as the implementation of Denmark's extractive marine tolls in the past and is an impressive castle and residence of kings past).
The weather might be good or might be awful, so I suggest having an indoor plan as backup if you have an outdoor plan.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
You won't see everything in 2 days. You can have a good look around though, and that might be long enough for you.
If you want museums and so on, you can definitely fill a day with the National Museum, Marmorkirken (the marble church), Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (classical and modern art, also nice building), perhaps a trip out to Lousiana in Humlebæk (modern art), etc.
If you want to go out of town, Roskilde is a 30 minute train ride away and has the viking ship museum, the cathedral (burial place of the Kings and Queens of Denmark), and a quiet town centre to walk around.
You can also take the train 45 minutes or so to Helsingør where there is the Kronborg ("Hamlet's Castle" although it's rather more significant as the implementation of Denmark's extractive marine tolls in the past and is an impressive castle and residence of kings past).
The weather might be good or might be awful, so I suggest having an indoor plan as backup if you have an outdoor plan.
Thanks. Good info all. If we decide on a 3rd day instead of 2 days then we would definitely try the Kronberg castle. Can Roskilde and Helsingør be done on same day by train?

Also hows the weather in general during first week of April ?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Copenhagen is a very small town,make sure you take the train over the Oresound bridge to Malmo,I found Copenhagen very disappointing.You won't need 3 days to see it,4-5 hours should do it.Stockholm is so much better.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 1:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by MNSWEEps
Thanks. Good info all. If we decide on a 3rd day instead of 2 days then we would definitely try the Kronberg castle. Can Roskilde and Helsingør be done on same day by train?

Also hows the weather in general during first week of April ?
No. You can do Louisana plus Kronborg for a day, including a nice ferry to the Swedish side (10 mins ride). That will get you the very best picture of the castle.

April weather - it can be from 4C to 15C. Make sure you have wind and waterproof clothing.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:36 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by liamvad
Copenhagen is a very small town,make sure you take the train over the Oresound bridge to Malmo,I found Copenhagen very disappointing.You won't need 3 days to see it,4-5 hours should do it.Stockholm is so much better.
This is one of the most useless pieces of "advice" I have seen on FlyerTalk. When someone describes a major city with more than one million inhabitants as "a very small town" I have problems taking the advice of that person seriously

Even though the English burnt much of Copenhagen in 1807, it is a very interesting city, with beautiful buildings, very interesting museums and excellent dining and nightlife. It is walkable, and well worth two full days.

Whether one prefers Stockholm or Copenhagen is up to personal taste. They are very different, but both are interesting.

Last edited by ksu; Oct 16, 2015 at 3:41 am
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by liamvad
I already have a different plan for a few days which covers Malmo , Kalmar and Stockholm.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nacho
No. You can do Louisana plus Kronborg for a day, including a nice ferry to the Swedish side (10 mins ride). That will get you the very best picture of the castle.

April weather - it can be from 4C to 15C. Make sure you have wind and waterproof clothing.
Thanks for info. Is Louisana near Kronborg castle ? I mean is it walkable. I have a few days in Sweden ( Malmo, Kalmar and Stockholm) but would love to take ferry across. How often do the ferry run? want to do a quick 1 to 1.5 hour roundtrip...
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:42 am

Walkable, no. 3 stops on the train and a short walk (or 4 stops with a connection and a shorter walk...)

There are two ferries to from Helsingor to Helsingborg (which is worth a wander round as well!). The Scandlines car ferries operate from the terminal adjacent to the main railway station on both ends, you can buy through tickets with the train, and they run every 15 minutes. There is also a smaller, cheaper passenger ferry operated by Sundbusserne, from a quay a couple of minutes from the main railway station on both ends. You can buy tickets from the newsagent in the quay, or on board if it's closed.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never know how to respond to questions like this. We spent 10 days in Copenhagen and didn't come close to exhausting what it, and its environs, had to offer. There is a wide variety of things to see and do in the city proper, and, as someone else mentioned, a number of worthwhile day trips (we liked the Louisiana museum). You can also take a train to Malmo, Sweden, for another day trip. Malmo was okay -- there are some magnificent pastry shops which, at least from my perspective, justified the trip. I'd only note that, from what I've read, Malmo has become a focal point for occasionally violent anti-semitism. We didn't see any, but this was also more than 10 years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.