Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Stockholm Taxis & Car Seats - Compulsory ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet

Quick question .. travelling to Stockholm next week and will have a baby with us ( 8 months old ) .. In the UK & Ireland I know that taxis are exempt from car seat requirements .. is it the same in Scandinavia or is car seat usage mandatory in taxis ( information seems a bit thin on the ground on the taxi companies website , but some seem to suggest it might be ) ..

Some of them mention about extra pre-booking charges for car seats .. can bring our own if it's mandatory and if they are charging 100kr a journey to book taxis with car seats , but prefer to avoid the hassle if possible ( Not to start a debate, but for short trips around town I'm not that worried about the presence or absence of car seats in the actual taxi )
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:16 am

Taxis are most likely exempt. At least here in Finland they are. yet at the same time taxi companies would like to sell you these extra services, so they´re not really advertising it. My suggestion is to take the train from airport and then travel by bus, metro or taxi around town.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 6:04 am

Next to the fact that it is pretty easy to get ripped of in a taxi in Stockholm (all over Sweden actually). There is no regulated fare system, so they can basically charge what they want...

Always take the official taxis from TaxiKurir, Taxi Stockholm or Taxi 020 and ask for a fare quote upfront.

Those taxi companies have nice iPhone apps to book a taxi and also get fixed prices.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: SK EB*G
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
is it the same in Scandinavia or is car seat usage mandatory in taxis
For shorter rides ("shorter" is not defined in the law, a cross-city journey through central Stockholm should qualify), taxis are exempt from baby/child (0-3yr) seat requirements. The baby must ride in the back seat however.

Originally Posted by fassy
Next to the fact that it is pretty easy to get ripped of in a taxi in Stockholm (all over Sweden actually). There is no regulated fare system, so they can basically charge what they want...
It should be noted that since this year, any taxi charging more than 500sek for the typical journey must provide a maximum price for the journey, in writing, before the journey starts. This has gotten rid of most of the ridiculous fares around. You can still get a bad deal, but the outright robberies are (more or less, anyway) gone. (Though the companys mentioned by fassy are still the best bets for a decent ride.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.