Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Nordic Region
Reload this Page >

Canadian Asking for Scandinavia 2015 Help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2015, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy SE

With Europe lingering in my bucket list as a continent to visit, I thought I'd give myself a goal to focus on.

The big five that came to mind are:
[added by Moderator note thread covering different regions with own forum, in so far thread was split up into destinations forums]

- Scandinavia

With Oktoberfest already set in mid-September, the autumn trip is my goal to see if it's feasible and to determine a budget.

I've been informed that traveling within Europe is dirt cheap so from experiences, what has been the cheapest city to get to Europe from Canada (Calgary, to be specific)?

Hotel and etc. will be after setting the initial flight in stone.

I also plan to visit surrounding countries and give myself ~ a month and a half. It'll be a rushed itinerary but better than none!

Depending on where I start, I'll have to do a clockwise/counter-clockwise pass around Europe. That usually determining the cheapest routes based on the path that I dictate (I did this for Asia and I found that for my trip, it was cheaper to fly around clock-wise. Weird.)

Feel free to discuss any routes that would help me out and random things.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Apr 9, 2015 at 12:01 am
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:57 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

The post was originally in the Germany forum.

However some aspects cover countries outside of Germany and therefore might be better placed in the Europe Forum or in destinations forum.

In so far, I have split the post into the Germany part (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/germa...2015-help.html) and those covering regions outside of Germany.

FLYGVA
co-moderator Germany Forum
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) and Norwegian fly intra-Scandinavia and between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe.
Both airlines sell single tickets for appr. half price of a return, unlike fx. Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines.
This is very useful for your kind of travel.
If you buy early, tickets can be very cheap.

If you are coming up from Northern Germany, train is also an option - about 5 hours from Hamburg to Copenhagen, prices start at 29€ ( Deutche Bahn ).
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by helosc
SAS (Scandinavian Airlines) and Norwegian fly intra-Scandinavia and between Scandinavia and the rest of Europe.
Both airlines sell single tickets for appr. half price of a return, unlike fx. Lufthansa and Austrian Airlines.
This is very useful for your kind of travel.
If you buy early, tickets can be very cheap.

If you are coming up from Northern Germany, train is also an option - about 5 hours from Hamburg to Copenhagen, prices start at 29€ ( Deutche Bahn ).
Is the train system part of 'Eurostar'?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:51 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
Originally Posted by flipstah
Is the train system part of 'Eurostar'?
Not that I know of - they are Deutche Bahn's ICE trains if I remember right.
A search for a specific trip on Deutche Bahns site should tell you which type of train - IC, ICE, Regional or whatever.
As far as I know, Eurostar only connects London with a few places in Europe via the tunnel.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA, NW
helosc is correct. EuroStar is the train that connects Britain with the Continent via a tunnel under the English Channel.

If you are traveling around a lot on the European continent, you may want to invest in a Eurail Pass, which gives you unlimited travel either for a continuous period (two weeks to two months, I believe) or for a certain number of days within a two-month period (if you're not going to move around much).

Two cautions: 1) You have to buy the Eurail Pass outside of Europe. If you're in Canada, I'm sure that any travel agent can help you with this. 2) The Eurail Pass is not valid in the U.K. or in certain countries of Eastern Europe. The U.K. has its own pass, the BritRail Pass, which is good to have if you're going to be traveling around in the U.K., since trains there are priced like airplane tickets, cheaper if you buy in advance and very expensive if you buy them on the day of travel. Travel agents can order a BritRail Pass for you as well.

The advantage of both passes is that they allow you to be a bit impulsive, and if you plan to travel around a lot, they save you money.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
helosc is correct. EuroStar is the train that connects Britain with the Continent via a tunnel under the English Channel.

If you are traveling around a lot on the European continent, you may want to invest in a Eurail Pass, which gives you unlimited travel either for a continuous period (two weeks to two months, I believe) or for a certain number of days within a two-month period (if you're not going to move around much).

Two cautions: 1) You have to buy the Eurail Pass outside of Europe. If you're in Canada, I'm sure that any travel agent can help you with this. 2) The Eurail Pass is not valid in the U.K. or in certain countries of Eastern Europe. The U.K. has its own pass, the BritRail Pass, which is good to have if you're going to be traveling around in the U.K., since trains there are priced like airplane tickets, cheaper if you buy in advance and very expensive if you buy them on the day of travel. Travel agents can order a BritRail Pass for you as well.

The advantage of both passes is that they allow you to be a bit impulsive, and if you plan to travel around a lot, they save you money.
Ah, gotcha. Sounds like the Eurail Pass is similar to the JR Pass in Japan. Usually, there's x amount of trips to do to 'break even' on the pass so I'll have to research and see how far the pass can take me.

I like the impulsive part as well. Thanks! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.