Search

Helsinki, Stockholm trip in December

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Helsinki, Stockholm trip in December

Greetings!

I am travelling with a friend during the first week in December. We are flying to Helsinki, and 7 days later, flying back from Stockholm.

No accommodations or fixed plans for this journey yet, only flights. We are currently considering 3 nights in Helsinki, an overnight cruise ship to Stockholm, and 3 nights in Stockholm.

The Helsinki leg might include a day trip to Estonia, if that isn't too ambitious to do in one day?

Open to suggestions on activities, particularly for this time of the year. Neither of us have been to these cities before. We are both young professionals, (29 and 33), and OK with being out in the cold in order to do interesting things. Budget is modest, not quite backpackers and not retirees with money to burn either Would like to keep to around $100 a day expenses not including food and lodging, but willing to spend more for unique experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Charlie
Old Oct 17, 2014, 11:43 pm

Programs: AY, BT, DY and SK. Scandic, Radisson, Marriott and HHonors. ClubONE
Hi Charlie! From Helsinki, you can easily do a day trip to Tallinn. E.g. With Eckerö line, you get about 8 hours to visit the very compact old town etc. For additional fun and hotel cost savings, take a cruise and leave Helsinki the previous evening. Do a search on FT to read about options or explore the web sites of Tallink and/or Viking line.

In Stockholm, it is easy to suggest the Abba and Wasa museums, near to each other, and also Stockholm's old town is a must. A lot of tourists are also interested in the Christmas markets (a relatively new phenomenon in the Nordic countries).
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Thank you tsastor!

Any other suggestions, FT? We have booked 3 nights in Helsinki, an overnight cruise ship to Stockholm, and 3 nights in Stockholm. But nothing more yet.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
What would you like to do in Stockholm? There is a wide range of interesting restaurants of all price categories. There's a whole bunch of museums and some theathres and other cultural things that can be visited/enjoyed if you are into that etc.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 5:26 am
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Thank you tsastor!

Any other suggestions, FT? We have booked 3 nights in Helsinki, an overnight cruise ship to Stockholm, and 3 nights in Stockholm. But nothing more yet.
What kind of things are you interested in? Museums? Outdoors? In any case, visit Suomenlinna Sea Fortress. First week of December it will be pretty empty, but the scenery can be pretty amazing plus there are always art exhibitions etc.

Helsinki has pretty good selection of restaurants, although prices are high, especially if you want to have a glass of wine with your meal (same in Sweden too).
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: Virtuoso
Sweden: Since you are going in December, I would definitely check out the Christmas market in Gamla Stan. Gamla Stan is worth a visit on it's own and is extra special (I think) at Christmas time. Also, I haven't done it, but the Grand Hotel Stockholm does a holiday themed smorgasbord that is suppose to be amazing. Skansken is also a fun place to visit and also has a Christmas market on the weekends.

Have fun! I was in Sweden last late November visiting family. The weather was mild for them while we were there and not much snow on the ground.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: Miles&More, Hemköp kundkort
Didn't see this thread before, guess you're packing your bags by now... For Stockholm, as others have suggested, the christmas markets in Old town and (even better) at the open air museum Skansen are good if you're into that sort of thing. I'm guessing as young professionals though you might be more interested in some night life as well. Söder (the southern part of central Stockholm, subway to Slussen or Medborgarplatsen) is good with plenty of bars and pretty good restaurants. I like Akkurat, great pub with good food and an amazing whisky menu, and Soldaten Svejk for Czech beers, central european food and a good time. Where are you staying? PM me if you like with your interests and I'll try to put together a few more suggestions for you. Enjoy Stockholm, and welcome to our little town! Oh, and have a good time on the ship to Stockholm but do watch out. Some (very young) people on those ships tend to get way too drunk and start fights with whoever is standing next to them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.