Wiki Posts
Search

sami people tromso

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2014, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: continental united starwood hilton marriott
sami people tromso

Will be in Tromso early Dec. Anyone have experience or knowledge about tours of Sami people?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:21 pm
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by arubalad
Will be in Tromso early Dec. Anyone have experience or knowledge about tours of Sami people?
I think that the proud indegenous people of Northern Scandinavia would be rather offended by being subject to tours by tourists...

Tromsų is the regional capital of Northern Norway, and thus public buildings have bilingual signs. Still, Tromsų as such feels very much a Norwegian city, even if many Sami people live there. If you are to really experience tha Sami culture, you should go to the Sami heartland in Finnmark, especially the villages of Karasjok and Kautokeino. The former is the formal capital of the Sami people, hosting Sametinget (the Sami capitol), the latter is the cultural capital of the Sami people, being historically very important (the Kautokeino Riot of 1852) and hosting the Sami University College. Both villages are accessible from Tromsų, but it's a five hour drive through Finland from Tromsų to Kautokeino.

In Tromsų, the regional museum presents Sami culture and it is possible to do reindeer sledding. Some links are here:
http://www.visitnorway.com/en/vn/sea...tional&hits=10

Last edited by ksu; Sep 26, 2014 at 8:01 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.