Wiki Posts
Search

Short trip to Norway in late October

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2014, 11:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, SPG Preferred

I am planning to take a short trip to Norway in late October, about 4 nights. I really want to see the northern lights, but not sure if late Oct is a good time to go. Anyone has any suggestions how my itinerary should be like? I have never been to Norway though, so I also want to visit Oslo. Is one full day in Oslo good enough considering I only have limited time? Looking forward to hearing from you guys!! Thanks in advance.

Last edited by SoloTravelerinRed; Aug 20, 2014 at 12:21 am
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:56 am

I have been thinking about going north(I'm Oslo-based) to see the northern lights one time myself. From what I have read the best time is around January to March.

Even if Oslo has nice nature around it's not comparable to western and northern Norway (naturewise). Seems you will see nature elsewere and can focus on other things in Oslo. So if you have 1 FULL day in Oslo I think you can get a reasonably good impression of the city, even if 2 days might be preferred. You can focus on the museums and sights and leave the nature-parts out.

Indoor:
Viking museum
Kontiki Museum
See Munchs Scream at National Gallery
Munch Museum for rest of his works
etc

Outdoor: (October is on average dark, cold, rainy but you might be lucky)
Vigeland park
Opera House
etc
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the information. Just another question about Norway--I am not planning on renting a car. Is train service a reliable option? Also, for northern lights, which city is the closest to arctic circle? If you planned to go, where would you like to go for northern lights? Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:20 am

Yes, train is reliable option but will not take you further north than Bod (which is quite a distance north anyway).

For northern light I was thinking about going to the region called Finnmark and maybe stay over in one of those ice hotels (I think it's in Alta) and combine with some dog-sled "safari".
Another option was to go to Troms and see northern lights from some arranged tour there.

I found a lot of info when googling northern lights in Norway some time ago.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
No northern lights there, but Bergen is very nice and I found the train ride from Oslo to Bergen very beautiful and interesting.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Bergen sounds like an interesting place to visit. I am just concerned about the daylight in late October. When does it get dark usually? I was in Copenhagen once around Christmas. It was dark around 4 pm if I remember correctly...
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:08 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
In Oslo, sun rise and sun set time for late October are 8-18 for the first 3 weeks, then 7-17 the last week (we change to Winter time 25th October). This is a time of the year when day length shorten very quickly, we lose 5 minutes every day.

In Troms, you are looking at 8-15 the last week, 8:30-16 the first three weeks. They lose 9 minutes of day time every day.

More night time means more chances to see Northern Lights.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
And sunset in Bergen is about 6.30 pm mid-october.
After the changing of the clock on 25. of October it is 4.58 to 4.44 p.m.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:32 am
Original Poster

It's good to know that the daylight saving time will be switched back on Oct 25. That means I get longer night time. And Yes, more night time means more chances to see the northern lights!!

For northern lights, I am looking at a couple of places: Troms, Alta (Finnmark), and Kirkenes. I google mapped them. Kirkenes is in the far north, close to Russian boarder. That should be a better place to chase the lights right? I am just wondering if the town itself is also interesting with something to see? Troms seems nice. Any suggestions?
Old Aug 22, 2014, 2:38 am

I timed my trip to Troms to coincide with the new moon (Oct 24) to minimize interference.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Klew97, what year did you go to Tromso? Were you able to see the northern lights? Was it lots snow already in late October?
Old Aug 23, 2014, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by SoloTravelerinRed
Klew97, what year did you go to Tromso? Were you able to see the northern lights? Was it lots snow already in late October?
I'm going this year, in 2 months! Here's hoping I get to see something. I was in Jukkasjarvi's Ice Hotel in late December 2012 and only got a small and weak, 15 minute blur on night 3 (of 3). There were clouds the first two nights.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 11:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by klew97
I'm going this year, in 2 months! Here's hoping I get to see something. I was in Jukkasjarvi's Ice Hotel in late December 2012 and only got a small and weak, 15 minute blur on night 3 (of 3). There were clouds the first two nights.
How did you like the Ice Hotel? I was thinking about it but not sure if October is cold enough for that.

I hope we got luckier this year to be able to see more of the beautiful northern lights.^
Old Aug 24, 2014, 8:34 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by SoloTravelerinRed
It's good to know that the daylight saving time will be switched back on Oct 25. That means I get longer night time. And Yes, more night time means more chances to see the northern lights!!

For northern lights, I am looking at a couple of places: Troms, Alta (Finnmark), and Kirkenes. I google mapped them. Kirkenes is in the far north, close to Russian boarder. That should be a better place to chase the lights right? I am just wondering if the town itself is also interesting with something to see? Troms seems nice. Any suggestions?
Actually Kirkenes and Troms are similarly far north, Kirkenes is at 69, 43' N, and Troms is at 69, 40'. However, Kirkenes is much farther to the east, and thus appears to be further to the north on most maps. Alta is slightly further to the north, at 69, 58'.

Honningsvg (the airport closest to the North Cape) is the northernmost in mainland Norway at 71, 0', but the village is not that interesting, especially in autumn. Hammerfest is the northernmost city of Norway (and for tourist purposes: in the world) and is at 70' 40'. Be aware that the latter two are only served by Widere, using Dash-8's. A change is necessary at Troms, and flights are much more expensive there. Choosing between the two, I would definitely go for Hammerfest (I am actually going there on business in a week's time), but for the OP's purpose, I would go to Troms.

I would not necessarily expect much snow even in late October. As for the aurora borealis, you might have luck, and then you might not.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksu
Actually Kirkenes and Troms are similarly far north, Kirkenes is at 69, 43' N, and Troms is at 69, 40'. However, Kirkenes is much farther to the east, and thus appears to be further to the north on most maps. Alta is slightly further to the north, at 69, 58'.

Honningsvg (the airport closest to the North Cape) is the northernmost in mainland Norway at 71, 0', but the village is not that interesting, especially in autumn. Hammerfest is the northernmost city of Norway (and for tourist purposes: in the world) and is at 70' 40'. Be aware that the latter two are only served by Widere, using Dash-8's. A change is necessary at Troms, and flights are much more expensive there. Choosing between the two, I would definitely go for Hammerfest (I am actually going there on business in a week's time), but for the OP's purpose, I would go to Troms.

I would not necessarily expect much snow even in late October. As for the aurora borealis, you might have luck, and then you might not.
Thanks a lot for the info. I am now more interested in Troms. Should I rent a car or join a tour if I want to chase the northern lights at night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.