Wiki Posts
Search

Oslo Airport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

Oslo Airport

Hello everyone,

I will be flying from the US, to Oslo, to Italy. I am looking at the Oslo airport map and I can't quite seem to figure out if after landing, I have to go through security again at Oslo?

Can anyone who has been through Oslo clarify for me? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Mike5055
Hello everyone,

I will be flying from the US, to Oslo, to Italy. I am looking at the Oslo airport map and I can't quite seem to figure out if after landing, I have to go through security again at Oslo?

Can anyone who has been through Oslo clarify for me? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!
Assuming you're on one ticket and the luggage checked through you will clear Schengen in Oslo (passport) but customs will take place in Italy. You will need to reclear security but it will only be connecting passengers of which there are relatively few. I don't know the MCT for Int-Int at Oslo but would think 45minutes is more than sufficient.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 5:11 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Assuming on a through ticket, with luggage checked through, and holding a boarding card for the onward flight, this will be quick and painless. After passing trough Schengen passport control, follow the corridor towards arrival. About halfway down, you will find the security check-point for INT/INT. Rarely much of a line there. You will end up in the middle of the International terminal.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have a similar question...

I'm based in London but noticed that flights to SFO are a lot cheaper from OSL. I'm planning to take Norwegian from LGW then connect to a BA flight to LHR en route to SFO. If I don't check any luggage, would I be able to connect to the BA flight without passing through security/immigration?

Understand the risks involve so ideally I'd leave plenty of time between the flights but just curious if it's easily doable. Thanks!
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:07 pm
ksu

There is no way to avoid Schengen immigration at OSL, both when arriving from the UK and leaving to the UK for your connecting flight to LHR, but both security screening at the INT/INT checkpoint and the two passport controls should be quick. Just ensure that you have printed your BA boarding pass.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by ksu
There is no way to avoid Schengen immigration at OSL, both when arriving from the UK and leaving to the UK for your connecting flight to LHR, but both security screening at the INT/INT checkpoint and the two passport controls should be quick. Just ensure that you have printed your BA boarding pass.
Good to know. Thanks a lot!
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: UA *G MM
If you go through CPH then you will be able to avoid security and immigration for LGW-CPH-LHR-SFO. So if there are low fares with CPH then it might be a better option.

Note that if you fly Easyjet to CPH then they have their own pier (F gates). I have no idea if you can get from F to C/D (where BA, Norwegian and everyone else operates non-Schengen flights) without going through Schengen. Security should be ok since Easyjet only from/to EU -- just my guess. In any case, Norwegian is the best option LGW-CPH for low cost one way; you can walk directly to your BA gate.

Originally Posted by markster22
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I have a similar question...

I'm based in London but noticed that flights to SFO are a lot cheaper from OSL. I'm planning to take Norwegian from LGW then connect to a BA flight to LHR en route to SFO. If I don't check any luggage, would I be able to connect to the BA flight without passing through security/immigration?

Understand the risks involve so ideally I'd leave plenty of time between the flights but just curious if it's easily doable. Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Transfer in Oslo on separate ticket

I'm writing on behalf of a friend is is about to leave on a trip.
He is Star Alliance Gold through UA.
Is traveling from EWR-OSL on UA. Then has a separate ticket on SAS from OSL to AMS. His layover in OSL is about 6 hours.

Is there a transfer counter prior to exiting the airport where he could get his SAS boarding pass? How early will he be able to get his boarding pass if he does exit the airport.
He is trying to decide whether to interline his checked bag, or just check it to OSL and recheck to AMS, but doesn't want to be stuck for hours landslide waiting for the check in counter to open so he can get his get his boarding pass and recheck his bag.

Any input would be appreciated!
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:43 pm
ksu

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
I'm writing on behalf of a friend is is about to leave on a trip.
He is Star Alliance Gold through UA.
Is traveling from EWR-OSL on UA. Then has a separate ticket on SAS from OSL to AMS. His layover in OSL is about 6 hours.

Is there a transfer counter prior to exiting the airport where he could get his SAS boarding pass? How early will he be able to get his boarding pass if he does exit the airport.
He is trying to decide whether to interline his checked bag, or just check it to OSL and recheck to AMS, but doesn't want to be stuck for hours landslide waiting for the check in counter to open so he can get his get his boarding pass and recheck his bag.

Any input would be appreciated!
SAS has online check-in opening 22 hours prior to departure, thus your friend could print his BP before leaving the US. Not that it is necessary: if the electronic ticket is registered on a CC, this can be used for passing through security and boarding at OSL. But he should check in as early as possible to get a desirable seat!

There are many automated check-in kiosks at the departure level at OSL (one floor up from arrivals), they can be used for any same-day departures. Bags can also be rechecked anytime on the day of departure. So no need to wait for check-in to open (and even a possibility of rechecking the bag, and heading into town for a quick sightseeing)
Old Nov 23, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: EBD, BAEC GGL/CCR, Alitalia AlataPlus, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Plat100, HHD
Nothing to worry about. You can interline the luggage, or pick it up and re-check. OSL is a nice airport for connections, and check-in is always very simple (especially with a gold card).

He can print the SAS boarding pass, or get the SAS app and have it on the phone (or credit card used to pay the booking). Either way, just make sure that if you want to avoid going landside he need to have the boarding pass to get through airside transfer security.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:22 pm

I'll bring up an old (relevant) topic.
Have a connection from VNO-OSL (Ryanair), arriving 7:30am, then OSL-EWR at 11am on SAS. Separate tickets, naturally.
With 3 hours and online checkin to SAS flight, this should be doable (I recall OSL being fairly simple). However, one issue is - we may need to have a larger luggage, so not just carryon. The options are:
1. Check the bag in on Ryanair, then pick it up at OSL and re-check with SAS.
2. Leave the bag in "left luggage" at OSL before leaving for VNO (a few days before), then pick it up from left luggage on return and recheck

Option 1 relies on the time for luggage to arrive at carousel.
Option 2 depends on where exactly is left luggage at OSL.

Which one would be faster?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:27 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by br2k
I'll bring up an old (relevant) topic.
Have a connection from VNO-OSL (Ryanair), arriving 7:30am, then OSL-EWR at 11am on SAS. Separate tickets, naturally.
With 3 hours and online checkin to SAS flight, this should be doable (I recall OSL being fairly simple). However, one issue is - we may need to have a larger luggage, so not just carryon. The options are:
1. Check the bag in on Ryanair, then pick it up at OSL and re-check with SAS.
2. Leave the bag in "left luggage" at OSL before leaving for VNO (a few days before), then pick it up from left luggage on return and recheck

Option 1 relies on the time for luggage to arrive at carousel.
Option 2 depends on where exactly is left luggage at OSL.

Which one would be faster?
Left luggage at OSL would be faster on average. Last I used it, it was landside on the arrivals/baggage claim level and located by the terminal exit door closest to the Park Inn hotel (not the exits closest to the Radisson or train platform).

I find there to be way more variance in time claiming bags from the baggage carousels at OSL than there is in claiming bags from the public (landside) left luggage facility.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:42 am

Thanks for the information! This is what I was thinking as well. Should be able to do it in 2 hours (with 1hr to spare for checked luggage cut off), I think?
I might only go out to check the bag myself and let the rest of my party stay airside.

Although - between EU interior flights and flights to the US there must be a security check anyway? I recall going through the immigration control on the way to international gates to the east, but can't remember what security in transit looked like.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:22 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by br2k
Thanks for the information! This is what I was thinking as well. Should be able to do it in 2 hours (with 1hr to spare for checked luggage cut off), I think?
I might only go out to check the bag myself and let the rest of my party stay airside.

Although - between EU interior flights and flights to the US there must be a security check anyway? I recall going through the immigration control on the way to international gates to the east, but can't remember what security in transit looked like.
There is a transit security option at OSL and it's been faster (or at least more consistent) than what I sometimes experience with the security screening lines to go from OSL check-in to the OSL gates. Be aware that using other travel party members' checked baggage allowance without them present at the landside check-in counter may be a problem. Just something to consider in case the only person presenting themselves for check-in landside at OSL is trying to use the checked baggage allowance in a distributed way rather than just under one individual's included checked baggage allowance.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder
There is a transit security option at OSL and it's been faster (or at least more consistent) than what I sometimes experience with the security screening lines to go from OSL check-in to the OSL gates. Be aware that using other travel party members' checked baggage allowance without them present at the landside check-in counter may be a problem. Just something to consider in case the only person presenting themselves for check-in landside at OSL is trying to use the checked baggage allowance in a distributed way rather than just under one individual's included checked baggage allowance.
No problem - we will only have 1 checked bag (and as a *G I can check 2 in my name, if we needed to).

Does OSL have any kind of priority security for *G? I vaguely recall some sort of a boarding pass reader (where we had a problem with my companion not being automatically let through) - but it may have been somewhere else?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.