Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Malmo from Copenhagen

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:12 am
Original Poster

Visiting Malmo from Copenhagen

Last post from me for now, honestly! But probably more use to others if I keep the issues separate.

I'd like to visit Malmo when in the Copenhagen area. What would people recommend, particularly to keep costs down (two adults travelling)?

a) keeping my rental car for an extra couple of days, driving there and back via the Oresund bridge
b) getting the train from Copenhagen
c) using another public transport method
d) some other route (with/without car) that I'm missing.

Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
The advantage to keeping the car is that you can then easily go beyond Malmö itself - to Lund, for example.

The Oresund crossing is an interesting experience - but if budget is a major concern, be sure to factor in the r/t tolls and parking charge in Malmö when calculating potential costs.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 10:13 am

The bridge is really really expensive but it is cool to drive over it. The train is very fast and convenient, though, if it is just a day trip to see some of the highlights in the city centre and nearby. Even Lund is easily reachable by train.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:27 am

Programs: AA Ex-Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Years ago we took the train to Lund, then took the train to Helsingborg and ferried over to Helsingor and then the train back to Copenhagen. Good way to see some nice towns.

I didn't think Malmo was as bad as everyone seems to think.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 2:58 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Hi thomasmolloy,

As we have a dedicated Scandinavia forum, I'll move this thread over there for more specific input.

stut
Co-Moderator
Europe Forum
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:06 pm

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
I would suggest the train, simply due to costs. The bridge is nothing special to drive and costs quite a bit. As people have mentioned both Lund (where I live) and Malmö, both are very easy to manage by foot and you can survive without a car.

Puchalskir might have the best advise. The circle trip is highly recommended and can be done within a day (if needed). I would look into doing this over a 2-3 day period to explore a bit more.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We took the train and found it extremely convenient.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat./Ambassador; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Kempinski Platinum
I would also endorse the circle trip. I did it in one day (Copenhagen - Helsingør - Helsingborg - Malmö - Copenhagen) and enjoyed it quite a lot. Apart from the ferry, I used trains all the way. While it would be nice to have more time to explore, I have a job in the USA and therefore the misfortune of limited leisure time! The big thing I missed on this most recent trip was the Louisiana Museum.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.