Search

Only in SFO... assuage flying guilt at carbon offset airport kiosk

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2008, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Only in SFO... assuage flying guilt at carbon offset airport kiosk

Another contribution from the guilt-ridden loons in SFO...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DTL&type=green

Hey Gavin, why not just close the airport? @:-)
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Oh brother. I would love to see some news organization track these "carbon offset" funds. Where are they going? Probably to fund some Carbon Offset Project Agency run by a well-paid staff who drive carbon-emitting vehicles to work.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:19 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the FT Newsstand..
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:33 am
Suspended

Programs: AA
ridiculous
Old Dec 24, 2008, 9:45 am

From the article:
Nathan Ballard, a spokesman for Mayor Gavin Newsom, said a portion of each offset purchase would go to the San Francisco Carbon Fund, which supports local projects such as energy-efficiency programs and solar panel installations for low-income housing, as well as efforts to convert waste oils into biodiesel fuels.
(...)
Under the agreement, the airport will provide the kiosks and 3Degrees will supply the software and the certified carbon offsets being sold and will operate the program.
(...)
3Degrees will get 30 percent of each purchase, with the rest going to carbon-reduction projects. The agreement calls for a one-year program, with a possible extension.
(...)
...a two-hour trip uses about 1,000 pounds of carbon dioxide per person, and the cost to offset that would be about $4. Offsetting a trip to Europe would cost $36.
I wonder what kind of revenue this creates? According to the 2007 SFO Annual Report there were approximately 25.1M domestic passengers and 8.7M international passengers that used the airport. I have no idea how many of them feel guilty about their CO2 footprint, but let's say 1 percent. Using the $4 and $36 figures above, I come up with total revenue of $4,136,000 of which $1.2M (30%) goes to the kiosk company (3Degrees) and the remainder goes to selected environmental programs.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by El Cochinito
From the article:

I wonder what kind of revenue this creates? According to the 2007 SFO Annual Report there were approximately 25.1M domestic passengers and 8.7M international passengers that used the airport. I have no idea how many of them feel guilty about their CO2 footprint, but let's say 1 percent. Using the $4 and $36 figures above, I come up with total revenue of $4,136,000 of which $1.2M (30%) goes to the kiosk company (3Degrees) and the remainder goes to selected environmental programs.
1%? No way it'll be even close to that. Remember this SFO, where the hypocritical left is famous for spending OPM, but not dipping in to their own pockets.

In fact, when it's all said and done, I bet on another mindless net expense to an already bloated city budget...

...San Francisco's Airport Commission has authorized the program, which will involve a $163,000 investment from SFO , but is still working out the details with 3Degrees.

Emphasis and added.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Mayor's Spokeshole
<SNIP> It's something interesting to do while you're killing time at the airport.
Sorry, I’ve never been bored enough in an airport to consider paying taxes as a way to kill time.
Old Dec 24, 2008, 10:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
Oh brother. I would love to see some news organization track these "carbon offset" funds. Where are they going? Probably to fund some Carbon Offset Project Agency run by a well-paid staff who drive carbon-emitting vehicles to work.
Oh, so you've HEARD of TerraPass

I do feel guilty about my carbon footprint - of which by far the largest portion is derived from flying - but there are better ways to offset. Carbonfund.org is probably a better way. However - if the kiosks are prominent perhaps they will at least be educational.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Dec 24, 2008 at 10:57 am
Old Dec 24, 2008, 1:27 pm

Maybe they will use the money to restore the direct SFO-Millbrae BART service, so those of us who live in the South Bay will once again take Caltrain to the airport instead of driving our cars.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Originally Posted by KSinNYC
Maybe they will use the money to restore the direct SFO-Millbrae BART service, so those of us who live in the South Bay will once again take Caltrain to the airport instead of driving our cars.

The truth is that the extra 15min from the new caltrain/bart connection only slightly worsens the 2.5hr it takes me to take mass transit from home, compared to the 40min drive. And I'd rather leave my car at airport parking where entrance and egress is recorded instead of some vta park and ride lot.

Last edited by elCheapoDeluxe; Dec 25, 2008 at 4:40 pm
Old Dec 25, 2008, 7:50 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Well, they certanly picked the right city in which to off this service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.