Wiki Posts
Search

U.S. airliner makes emergency landing in Tehran

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, H GP-LIfeTime Diamond
U.S. airliner makes emergency landing in Tehran

Yikes, some story to tell if you were on this flight...... Glad all worked out!

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...n_usa_plane_dc

TEHRAN (Reuters) - A U.S. airliner flying from Bombay to Amsterdam made an emergency landing in Tehran on Sunday, but no one was hurt, a civil aviation official said. The United States and

Last edited by Radiocycle; Jun 19, 2005 at 9:26 am
Old Jun 19, 2005, 1:51 am

Programs: NW Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold
Wow, I feel for the passengers. Maybe now I won't complain when my flight arrives early but the gate isn't ready yet.

Imagine expecting the next city will be in to be AMS and instead you are diverted to an airport in Iran. I guess, for their sake, thank god its not the 80's.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
It is now on its way to AMS.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 2:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nydonwvu
Wow, I feel for the passengers. Maybe now I won't complain when my flight arrives early but the gate isn't ready yet.

Imagine expecting the next city will be in to be AMS and instead you are diverted to an airport in Iran. I guess, for their sake, thank god its not the 80's.
Even then hardliners like Khomeini would not likely have messed with passengers from a distressed commercial plane. Perhaps forced to fly Iran Air and leave the commercial plane as collateral for assets seized, but that's about it.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 4:56 am
Suspended

Not to go too much into detail, but the US played a crucial role that the diplomatic relations went down the drain...

More important though that NW 41 is on its way to Schiphol again with a scheduled arrival time of just after 2 p.m.

It seems that the second leg of NW 41 departed on time, so they were able to use one of the spare DC 10 at Schiphol.Hopefully all connecting pax will be rebooked on the later flights to the US without too much hassle.

Oh wait, KLM will take over the handling of an unplanned event, so it will end in a complete chaos and people wish to fly back to Teheran asap...
Old Jun 19, 2005, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Glad to see AMS-MSP is on time....I'm assuming they are using a different AC

Departs: Mumbai/Bombay, India ( BOM ) Arrives: Tehran, Iran ( THR )

Gate: 45 Gate:

Scheduled: 12:50AM Scheduled:

Actual: 12:43AM Actual: 4:08AM

Aircraft: DC10-30 Weather: THR

Departs: Tehran, Iran ( THR ) Arrives: Amsterdam-Schiphol, Netherlands (AMS)

Gate: Gate:

Scheduled: Scheduled: 6:40AM

Actual: 10:35AM Estimated: 2:21PM

Aircraft: DC10-30 Weather: AMS

Note: Diversion/delay due to mechanical problem.

Departs: Amsterdam-Schiphol, Netherlands (AMS) Arrives: Minneapolis/St. Paul-Int'l, MN (MSP)

Gate: Gate: G8

Scheduled: 10:45AM Scheduled: 12:35PM

Actual: 10:38AM Estimated: 12:01PM

Aircraft: DC10-30 Weather: MSP

Note: Flight scheduled for ontime departure.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:16 am

Programs: NW WP (never an elite)
Hmm, I haven't landed at Tehran's airport since 1969, en route to Persepoiis via Shiraz and Isfahan. I don't remember Tehran airport, but i do remember Shiraz airport because we were flying low to the ground (say 1000 feet) and I saw a runway to the right of us and I said "Are we missing the runway" then the pilot put the wing to the ground (the type of manuever you start trying to claw out of your seat on) and did a U turn, then landed on the runway that had been just to the right of us....

Incidentally, in 1969 the flight to Tehran came FROM Tel Aviv. None of the Arab countries near Israel would let a Western plane overfly them after landing in Israel, so we had to take off, head north over the Meditterranean to Turkey, across Turkey, then down into Iran.

it was a fascinating country then. I hear things have changed a bit since i was there...
Old Jun 19, 2005, 6:36 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nydonwvu

Not sure what you wanted to imply with your post, but my take from what I have read about this so far is that authorities in Iran handled the situation very professionally and according to all applicable international laws. And as Iran Air is very much used to operating and servicing vintage-airliners their mechanics were even able to get the DC10 airworthy again after a few hours so it could continue on to AMS without too much delay...

I can imagine that being on board of a plane that suffers an inflight mechanical emergency is not one of the things I would enjoy, but everything beyond that in this case is just the same as if they had diverted to KTM or some other "non-standard" diversion-airport...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:06 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I am a bit surprised that NW uses DC10s for the BOM run... I may be wrong, but aren't they maintenence hogs?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:46 am

Programs: UA1K MM, BA Gold, Hyatt LT Globalist, Bonvoy LTE, IHG Diam, HH Gold, Amtrak Sel Exec
Originally Posted by djohannw
Not sure what you wanted to imply with your post, but my take from what I have read about this so far is that authorities in Iran handled the situation very professionally and according to all applicable international laws. And as Iran Air is very much used to operating and servicing vintage-airliners their mechanics were even able to get the DC10 airworthy again after a few hours so it could continue on to AMS without too much delay...

I can imagine that being on board of a plane that suffers an inflight mechanical emergency is not one of the things I would enjoy, but everything beyond that in this case is just the same as if they had diverted to KTM or some other "non-standard" diversion-airport...

Greetings - Dirk
Thanks Dirk for saying this so lucidly... do people really think that these people were actually in any danger from having to land in Tehran?
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UNITED 2K HILTON DIAMOND
i wonder if the Iranian GAs were friendlier than the ones at our hubs
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I, for one, certainly would not be comfortable landing in Iran on a U.S. airliner. The people in that part of the world are not too fond of the United States and you never know what could happen.
Old Jun 19, 2005, 7:52 am

Exclamation Let me count the ways......

Originally Posted by djohannw
Not sure what you wanted to imply with your post, but my take from what I have read about this so far is that authorities in Iran handled the situation very professionally and according to all applicable international laws.

Sure, here in America however our history with Iran is somewhat different than Germany’s. A lot of us remember when our Embassy was seized in Iran and the subsequent relationship that the US had with them.

Not to mention the fact that there is a Travel Advisory cautioning US citizens on going to Iran. Apparently, some elements of the Iranian government and population remain hostile to U.S. American citizens and they may be subject to harassment or kidnapping.

Or that our countries do not currently have diplomatic or consular relations with the Islamic Republic of Iran and therefore cannot provide protection or routine consular services to American citizens in Iran.

Other than those two small issues, I am sure it’s a garden spot of the mid-east.

@:-) @:-) @:-) I hope that helps in your & KV99's sense of wonderment on why a lot of Americans are not comfortable in Iran. .

Happy travels.

Last edited by TRVLRZ; Jun 19, 2005 at 7:57 am
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:11 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by LucWise
I, for one, certainly would not be comfortable landing in Iran on a U.S. airliner. The people in that part of the world are not too fond of the United States and you never know what could happen.
Yes, there are plenty of cases in the news of westerners with troubles in Islamic countries. And no, the Iranian government are not fans of the US government.
But I've never had a problem in Islamic countries as a US citizen. I have had many political discussions with people who don't like George Bush, however. But somehow, Muslims in Indonesia, Malaysia, Egypt, and Turkey that I met were able to decipher the difference between the US government and its citizens.
PS--I guess all of the pax on the LH and AF flights to Teheran over the past several years--and all of the American tourists who flew them there--must have been jailed and tied up, huh? Funny we never heard about them........

Last edited by kyushuman; Jun 19, 2005 at 8:13 am Reason: spelling
Old Jun 19, 2005, 8:18 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
I fully accept that there are historical events preventing Americans from going to Iran, and I can understand you would not voluntarily go there.

However I would expect any country that gives overflight-rights to aircrafts of another country (that's what I assume the NW-flight had before it diverted to THR) will also honor international treaties in how to handle aircraft and crew should an emergency arise that has the airliner landing unplanned while it is crossing through their airspace. And that's what Iran has delivered as far as I can judge from the news coming in over here.

So in my opinion there has been no reason to assume anything different while the aircraft was in THR...no matter what happened in the past. Had there been any reason to assume something different it would have been reckless by NW to file a flight-plan over Iran in the first place.

Greetings - Dirk

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.