Search

WSJ: Why 'Free' Tickets Cost So Much...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

WSJ: Why 'Free' Tickets Cost So Much...

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

APRIL 28, 2011

What's the price of "free" at airlines these days? Your next frequent-flier award flight may cost you $800 or more in fuel surcharges on top of your thousands of hard-earned miles.
Airlines outside the U.S. have run fuel surcharges up to high-altitude levels and charge them, plus taxes and government fees, even when you redeem miles for frequent-flier awards. You also get charged in some cases when you use your U.S. airline miles for a ticket on a partner airline, such as redeeming American Airlines AAdvantage miles for seats on partner British Airways, or using Delta Air Lines miles for a trip originating in Europe. The sneaky surcharge may even surprise you when you exchange credit-card points into an airline program to claim "free" travel.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...063898096.html
Old Apr 28, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Glad to see it on a mainstream media paper, but doubt there will be good change.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really hope the government would step in and force the airlines to make "free" ticket actually free. Recent DOT ruling on airfares gives a bit of hope.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 2:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
As far as "fuel surcharges", I agree. But as for all the other fees, I'm not so sure.

For example, in the US, for domestic award travel, award tickets used to be completely free, prior to the "9/11 security charge." US law specifically exempts award tickets from having to pay any PFC's that airports assess, but specifically *requires* that airlines collect the new $2.50/takeoff (up to 2 per direction) from *all*passengers. So, when a passenger books a round-trip award ticket on a US domestic non-stop route, the $5 they must pay is due to government mandate.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 6:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
For airlines that charge such high fees and surcharges on mileage tickets that the cash component cost of the "award" ticket may exceed the cost of a regular paid ticket for travel between the same city pairs, the use of "award" or "reward" being used by the airline or airline partner's marketing efforts seems a scam when, for various situations, the passenger's cost of the "award"/"reward" ticket exceeds their cost of a regular ticket not using miles.

As a growing number of passengers are -- "courtesy" of the airline -- being fined/subjected to the airline's penalty when using miles for tickets, it would be rather amusing if the government were to subject such airlines and their program partners for a fine and/or other penalty too for using "award"/"reward" when it is not always less costly than a regular paid ticket for travel between the same city pairs.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Airlines should really include fuel surcharge in the actual ticket price. I think this 'surcharge' is to devaluate the value of mileage.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 8:09 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by nacho
Airlines should really include fuel surcharge in the actual ticket price. I think this 'surcharge' is to devaluate the value of mileage.
Well, it does devalue the miles. The reasons (in no particular order) for the "fuel surcharge" approach being taken by the airlines: to reduce value of commissions granted to travel agents; to reduce the value of the rebates/discounts granted to large customers; to reduce the value of the rebate/discounts granted to the ordinary customers, a rebate that comes in the form of the "loyalty" program "awards"; and to reduce the airline's costs to change prices (retail and wholesale) quickly and rather efficiently.

Absent government intervention, the airlines will be doing more of this rather than less of this. And the customers of the airline "loyalty" programs are not going to be spared from this; rather customers of such programs will be increasingly financially speared by this approach -- more so those customers who earn their miles mostly from flights for flights.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nacho
Not when fuel surcharges can be excised with a little work!

But the $800 in taxes on BD awards does get old fast...
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I haven't found a single useful "excise" for the travel i needed to take since 2009. Random mileage dumps may help MR but exceptionally limited in application even for those familiar with subject.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by azepine00
I haven't found a single useful "excise" for the travel i needed to take since 2009. Random mileage dumps may help MR but exceptionally limited in application even for those familiar with subject.
Maybe, but I take advantage of them quite often when I travel across the pond.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 11:34 am
aap

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Silver, AA Gold, United Silver
BA has some of the best routes to Central Asia via Europe, but I will not fly them due to the ridiculous fuel surcharges.

These fuel surcharges should be displayed upfront without having to go to the checkout screen to find out your 50K award ticket will cost $500 in fuel surcharges.

This kind of reminds of the APR issue with the mortgages where every lender shows the same interest rate, but the true cost is not known until you compare APRs. Wish there was something equivalent the FF world.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by azepine00
I really hope the government would step in and force the airlines to make "free" ticket actually free. Recent DOT ruling on airfares gives a bit of hope.
Why would the govt help the very same people who it helps to reinforce all these ridiculous fees? The govt is the corporations best friend now.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
^
Old May 2, 2011, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Tenacious
THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

APRIL 28, 2011

What's the price of "free" at airlines these days? Your next frequent-flier award flight may cost you $800 or more in fuel surcharges on top of your thousands of hard-earned miles.
Airlines outside the U.S. have run fuel surcharges up to high-altitude levels and charge them, plus taxes and government fees, even when you redeem miles for frequent-flier awards. You also get charged in some cases when you use your U.S. airline miles for a ticket on a partner airline, such as redeeming American Airlines AAdvantage miles for seats on partner British Airways, or using Delta Air Lines miles for a trip originating in Europe. The sneaky surcharge may even surprise you when you exchange credit-card points into an airline program to claim "free" travel.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...063898096.html
Hope other mainstream media picks up on this. I've been coaching people with 100k BA miles to redeem in other less costly ways (ie: AA Domestic).
Old May 2, 2011, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aap
These fuel surcharges should be displayed upfront without having to go to the checkout screen to find out your 50K award ticket will cost $500 in fuel surcharges.

This kind of reminds of the APR issue with the mortgages where every lender shows the same interest rate, but the true cost is not known until you compare APRs. Wish there was something equivalent the FF world.
I agree completely with this! Greater transparency would be great. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.