Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New York City
Reload this Page >

July 4th Fireworks 2009: Viewing fireworks from hotel??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2009, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Is there a hotel in NYC where we could view the fireworks from the hotel room or its bar or restaurant? I'm familiar with the fireworks over the East River but don't know of a hotel from which they can be viewed. I am unaware of where other displays are held.

I checked out the Ritz Carlton in Battery Park thinking maybe fireworks could be viewed from there and it is booked solid.

Any ideas?

Bobette
Old May 28, 2009, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Hi, Bobette,

You should know that Macys has moved the fireworks location this year to the WEST side, i.e. along the Hudson River.

Take a look at this article which includes a small map.

There are others here who know New Jersey hotels better than me, but I would think good views can be had from the new W Hoboken as well as the Westin Jersey City.

In your case, I would insist on a written confirmation from the hotel of a room facing the Hudson.
Old May 28, 2009, 7:15 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
As Landing Gear mentioned, the fireworks this year (and probably future years at this stage) will be on the west side from 23rd to 50 something street.

Can't say if there will be a party there or not, but if somebody is having a party on board, the best place to see them (other then a ship like circle line) will be on the Intrepid.
Old May 29, 2009, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Hi, Bobette,

You should know that Macys has moved the fireworks location this year to the WEST side, i.e. along the Hudson River.
Hence the Battery Park Ritz Carlton being booked. Thanks so much, Landing Gear. I'll go back to the drawing board. If anyone has any suggestions from Jersey, chime in.

Bobette
Old May 29, 2009, 7:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by b1513
Hence the Battery Park Ritz Carlton being booked. Thanks so much, Landing Gear. I'll go back to the drawing board. If anyone has any suggestions from Jersey, chime in.

Bobette
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse is on the Hudson in Weehawken. You can always take the ferry there and have dinner. Food for thought....
Old May 29, 2009, 12:16 pm

Bobette
Salut,

If you look at the map previously linked, the Ritz Carlton (actually only the north side of the hotel) is probably not the best place to see the fireworks.

I would still try both the W Hoboken and the Westin Jersey City.
Old May 29, 2009, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
Salut,

If you look at the map previously linked, the Ritz Carlton (actually only the north side of the hotel) is probably not the best place to see the fireworks.

I would still try both the W Hoboken and the Westin Jersey City.
Westin is booked and the W said they don't know if fireworks will be visible from their Hudson facing rooms. I asked what street they were across from (in NYC) and he said Christopher St. That sounds like it might be too far down town. I'm not sure. I'm thinking of Hotel Gansevoort. That's available but I'm not sure if that might be too far away too.

Next year I'll have to plan a little earlier.

Last edited by b1513; May 29, 2009 at 1:37 pm
Old May 29, 2009, 2:27 pm

Westin is booked and the W said they don't know if fireworks will be visible from their Hudson facing rooms. I asked what street they were across from (in NYC) and he said Christopher St. That sounds like it might be too far down town. I'm not sure. I'm thinking of Hotel Gansevoort. That's available but I'm not sure if that might be too far away too.

Well that's next year. What about THIS year? Stay in NYC, of course, but take that ferry to NJ to see the fireworks if you can't find a place on the eastern side of the Hudson to enjoy them.
Old May 29, 2009, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
Well that's next year. What about THIS year? Stay in NYC, of course, but take that ferry to NJ to see the fireworks if you can't find a place on the eastern side of the Hudson to enjoy them.
Analise, I do like your idea of Ruth's Chris in Weehawken for dinner.
Old May 30, 2009, 1:14 am

You'll be pretty happy with the gansevoort I would think. Regardless of your room they have a spectacular rooftop deck that presumably would be accessible to you as a guest that would be a great spot. It is somewhat south of the area in question but would do well.

You could also of course do the obvious and not spend the evening sitting in a hotel room looking through thick glass at silent fireworks. If you really like fireworks just go hang out on one of the piers amidst the common folk and actually experience them.
Old May 30, 2009, 2:07 pm

Personally, I don't much care for the Gansevoort. If their roof is open, they will probably fill it to the max.

If you want to stay in a nice place, I would try for the W. Even though it is south of the 23rd St base of the fireworks, they do spread out a lot.

As it happens, I was having dinner at Pastis about 10 days ago so I stopped in to see the Standard, which is closer to the water than the Gansevoort. There is a little bar off the lobby. I asked a desk clerk about the roof and she said it would not open "until the Fall."

Go to http://maps.google.com and type in West 23rd Street and 12th Avenue, New York, NY and then select "Satellite View" so you can get an idea of what the area looks like.

Originally Posted by Analise
I think this is a fabulous idea!

The New York Waterway ferry has a huge terminal on the New Jersey side at Port Imperial.

Bobette, why don't you contact them and see what they have planned?
Old May 31, 2009, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cordelli
As Landing Gear mentioned, the fireworks this year (and probably future years at this stage) will be on the west side from 23rd to 50 something street.
I do hope they move them back--I had a partial view from my balcony that I'm sad to be losing.
Old May 31, 2009, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Calcifer
I do hope they move them back--I had a partial view from my balcony that I'm sad to be losing.
Oh I'm bummed too. We also had a partial view from our apt and we liked relaxing in the cool air conditioning while enjoying the fireworks. Oh well, not this year.
Old May 31, 2009, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Hay-Adams package is spectacular. terrific view.

http://www.hayadams.com/washington-dc-packages.php

worth the train trip down
Old May 31, 2009, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by slawecki
The Hay-Adams package is spectacular. terrific view.

http://www.hayadams.com/washington-dc-packages.php

worth the train trip down
So you're telling OP to abandon her dream of seeing the Macy's fireworks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.